Hey Community! I have a project I need help on…
I have a 3 bedroom 2200 sq. ft home (not including unfinished basement) that I want to setup as a smart home.
I have a computer science degree and have spent years coding in everything from C#, to PHP, Python as well as extensive experience with assembly and reverse engineering shellcode.
However, my hardware/electronics knowledge (including electrical and wiring) is nil and looking for hardware help. I do own a Raspberry Pi, and would be purchasing the Aeon Labs Z-Wave Z-Stick (Gen 5) running OpenHab 2 and probably set it up somehow around the electrical panel in the basement. I’m probably going to setup a punchdown block for any kind of wire (network/telephone) I need to run. I’m also looking at investing in a POE switch to power cameras/wall panels.
What I am looking for:
Hardware recommendation on
5 outdoor cameras
- Side Door
- Front Door
- Back Door/Pool
- Left side of house
- Facing front of house
3 door sensors
Garage Door Opener
- Can be used with the garage door opener in my Velar and via z-wave apps
- velar uses homelink
Motion Detector/Floor Lights
- For the cameras on the side of the house, 5 minute on/off on motion type thing
Touch Screen Alarm Panel
- I like the simplicity of the ring alarm panel, doesnt have to be ring
- would be nice to have specific success codes disable alarm
- ability for/use a fob
- K.I.S.S. (needs to be simple/easy to use)
SVR (Security Video Recorder)
- Probably going to use my Intel NUC, with a 512 or 1TB SDD to record the video from the cameras and store it securely.
I’d prefer to have the entire system use encrypted communication (AES-128 or better). The wife wants the cameras visible as a deterrent (vs hidden), but she is also very particular about looks which brings me to the alarm panel. It needs to be simple to use, but she really wants a ipad looking panel that some of the local alarm companies are using. For instance: http://www.rogers.com/cms/support/pdfs/SHM/EN_ROG_Yale_DoorLock_Guide.pdf (pg. 4)
Also, does anybody have a recommendation on a custom alarm monitoring company. The local providers are charging $$$/month. My budget is looking around $20/mo tops.