Need HELP after update 2.2.0 Build#1025

I did an upgrade last night and I am having problems getting Openhab to work properly. Here is part of the installation messages during openhab setup:

Setting up openhab2 (2.2.0~20170828204708-1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/default/openhab2 ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/openhab2/icons/classic/readme.txt ...
Installing new version of config file /var/lib/openhab2/etc/shell.init.script ...

Configuration file '/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
  D     : show the differences between the versions
  Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Configuration file '/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.eclipse.smarthome.voice.cfg'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
      org.eclipse.smarthome.voice.cfg (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Configuration file '/var/lib/openhab2/etc/jmx.acl.org.apache.karaf.config.cfg'
 *** jmx.acl.org.apache.karaf.config.cfg (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Configuration file '/var/lib/openhab2/etc/jmx.acl.org.apache.karaf.bundle.cfg'
 *** jmx.acl.org.apache.karaf.bundle.cfg (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Configuration file '/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.eclipse.smarthome.audio.cfg'
  ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
  ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
 *** org.eclipse.smarthome.audio.cfg (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n
 Setting up openhab2-addons (2.2.0~20170828204708-1) ...
 Setting up openhab2-addons-legacy (2.2.0~20170828204708-1) ...
 Setting up pi-bluetooth (0.1.3+1) ...
 Setting up xarchiver (1:0.5.4-1+deb8u2) ...
 Setting up python-gpiozero (1.4.0) ...
 Setting up python3-gpiozero (1.4.0) ...
 Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
 Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120+deb8u3) ...   

When I reboot my raspberry pi OpenHab gets stuck at the Welcome Screen with the wheel spinning saying " Please stand by while UIs are being installed." If I issue the commands:

sudo systemctl stop openhab2.service
  sudo systemctl start openhab2.service

Then the welcome screen comes up showing Paper UI, Basic UI, etc. How can I get it to come up correctly after a reboot? Thanks for any help.

You likely experience these problems as you did not install the new config files that came with the update. The correct answer would have been YES. By answering NO you kept the old files and I expect that the old files are now inadequate to configure your system correctly.

You can still reverse your choices manually, but you have to go to each of the folders listed above. In them you will find the new files with an extension other than .cfg (I don’t remember exactly but it may be something like .dist; I found it the extension pretty clear to identify when I made a similar mistake).
Just take the new files and copy them over the existing old configuration file by choosing the correct filename and extension (as shown in your log screen). Make sure you make a backup copy if you edited these config files manually so that you can retrieve the info.
Restart openHAB and all should be well again.

I tried your suggestion out but unfortunately it didn’t work. Not sure what to do now. I have an image backup from May 2017 and I don’t think I’ve changed anything that much lately, so maybe I’ll try that option. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.

It sounds related to this issue:

These kar file would have been installed with the openhab2-addons and openhab2-addons-legacy packages you have also installed.

Did you need these packages? You can uninstall these last two packages and try again? You may need to delete the contents of /var/lib/openhab2/cache and /var/lib/openhab2/tmp before restarting openHAB.

Benjy, could you tell me the steps to do this? Not sure if I need those packages or not. I do have 1.0 and 2.9 addons.

Sure thing, do you use PaperUI for your configuration, or do you use the .cfg files?

I think I use a combination of both. I do have .cfg files in my openhab services directory, such addons.cfg, networkhealth, mios, ecobee, etc.

That’s no problem, make a backup first, and the following steps should get you closer to where you need to be:

First look in addons.cfg, and make sure the following lines are uncommented (i.e. no ‘#’), there should be an explanation on what the lines do in the file.

remote = true
legacy = true

This will allow you to get the addons remotely when they’re required. Next uninstall the openhab2-addons and openhab2-addons-legacy packages, then restart openhab2 with a fresh cache:

sudo apt-get remove openhab2-addons*
sudo systemctl stop openhab2 
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/cache/*
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/*
sudo systemctl start openhab2

It may take a few minutes to download the packages again, and you may want to look to see if your addons/bindings are still included in your configuration, but otherwise, any better?

1 Like

I think i have the same problem… i just did an upgrade via apt-get .

Before i found this thread ive tried clearing tmp and cache dirs then running ./start.sh as root… after some minutes this returned:

root@hal2:/usr/share/openhab2# ./start.sh
Launching the openHAB runtime...

__  _____    ____
  ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )
 / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  |
/ /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ /
\____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/
    /_/                        2.2.0-SNAPSHOT
                               Build #1027

Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
Hit '<ctrl-d>' or type 'system:shutdown' or 'logout' to shutdown openHAB.

openhab>
openhab> log:tail

22:19:02.052 [pool-27-thread-1] ERROR org.openhab.core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller - Failed installing 'openhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-voice-marytts, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-binding-denon1, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-binding-mqtt1, openhab-binding-harmonyhub, openhab-binding-chromecast, openhab-binding-astro1, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-ui-paper, openhab-transformation-scale, openhab-voice-voicerss, openhab-misc-market, openhab-transformation-javascript, openhab-binding-weather1, openhab-transformation-regex, openhab-transformation-jsonpath, openhab-binding-mios1, openhab-binding-zwave, openhab-misc-imperihome, openhab-action-telegram, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-expire1': Error resolving artifact org.openhab.addons:openhab-addons-external:map:mios-contactin:1.11.0-SNAPSHOT: [Could not transfer artifact org.openhab.addons:openhab-addons-external:map:mios-contactin:1.11.0-SNAPSHOT from/to openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/online-repo-snapshot/2.2/): Connect to openhab.jfrog.io:443 [openhab.jfrog.io/104.196.54.40] failed: connect timed out]

Ill now try what you have suggested Ben…

In the log above i see this:

[Could not transfer artifact org.openhab.addons:openhab-addons-external:map:mios-contactin:1.11.0-SNAPSHOT from/to openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/online-repo-snapshot/2.2/): Connect to openhab.jfrog.io:443 [openhab.jfrog.io/104.196.54.40] failed: connect timed out]

is there a problem with openhab.jfrog.io?

Ben,
That fixed my problems. I rebooted my raspberry pi after following your instructions and everything is back to normal. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

jfrog seems to have been down or bouncing all night. I haven’t been able to startup openhab since the 1027 build was released.

Thanks for confirming its not just me.
( Im in Sydney,AU, using Optus )…where are you - just in case its a local thing…

Yeah accessing it with my browser seems to be hit and miss too.
Ill give it another 10mins else ill need to go back to release version.

I’m in Denver, CO USA. Even rolling back to a prior snapshot (also needs jfrog) doesn’t work. How do you switch to the release version, does that go through a different provider?

Yes i belive so:

http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html

Just about to do another fresh install and this did the trick. Will tide me over until I do a fresh install. THANKS!!!

1 Like

Hi all, I need help. I installed the 2.2 version (1098), at the beginning I thought all was ok, but afterwards I realized that zwave did not work properly, so after some attempts I decided to go back to 2.1, but trying to restore the backup when I do the systemctl start in the log I read the following error

2017-11-28 00:12:38.475 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve mvn:org.eclipse.tycho/org.eclipse.osgi/3.10.101.v20150820-1432
at org.apache.karaf.main.util.SimpleMavenResolver.resolve(SimpleMavenResolver.java:59)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.createClassLoader(Main.java:457)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:254)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.main(Main.java:179)

I tried to use the openhabian-config (manual fresh setup) on both the 2.1 and the 2.2 versions, but I have always the same error.
Any help for this situation? (I create a lot of applications and I do not want to loose all my work)
Thanks

Did you find a solution for this error?

I get the same error after updating and restoring my openhab.

Hi NB
I started from scratch installing again the 2.2 version, a lot of work, but I had the backup of the user data, so I could recover all.
Perhaps there are more comfortable solutions, but I had no help by the community so I could not test a more suitable solution.

@bruno Sorry just didnt have the cycles to look at your post until now. Actually looking to understand how I can run Openhab as an HA pair using Docker/VM etc so that I will always have a stable image running.