Need help configuring a stepper Item

Running 4.1.1 on RPi4

Trying to configure a stepper for volume control on a LG TV, emulating the way its done in the bindings docs. Of course those docs are for text file configs.

The example docs show a switch item with mapping to make it look like a stepper.

Switch item=LG_TV0_Mute
        Text item=LG_TV0_Volume
        Switch item=LG_TV0_VolDummy icon="soundvolume" label="Volume" mappings=[1="▲", 0="▼"]
        Default item=LG_TV0_Channel

I’m trying to use a stepper list item to do something similar, but the question is how to configure it.

The example in the docs uses a rule to convert the 0 and 1 into Increase and Decrease commands to send to the device.

rule "VolumeUpDown"
when Item LG_TV0_VolDummy received command
then
    switch receivedCommand{
        case 0: LG_TV0_Volume.sendCommand(DECREASE)
        case 1: LG_TV0_Volume.sendCommand(INCREASE)
    }
end

Is there a way to configure a stepper to directly create Increase and Decrease commands?
It seems like all a stepper does is increase or decrease a number value.

Thanks for any hints

The Item LG_TV0_VolDummy has to be of type Number, but there is no reason for that Item anyway, just use the Item directly:

Switch item=LG_TV0_Volume icon="soundvolume" label="Volume" mappings=[INCREASE="▲", DECREASE="▼"]

You don’t need no rule and no proxy Item. Of course, LG_TV0_Volume has to be of type Dimmer and the linked channel has to support commands INCREASE and DECREASE.

Thanks for the reply.

My explanation was not clear. I’m using MainUI not text items.

I created a Number Item

label: LG Volume Dummy
type: Number
category: ""
groupNames:
  - NewTV
tags:
  - Setpoint

and then added metadata for a Default List Item Widget for a stepper item and configured max of 1 and Min of 0

No pages
Administration
LGVolumeDummy
L
LG Volume Dummy
Number
Tags
tag_fill
Setpoint
Semantic Classification
class
Point_Setpoint
isPointOf
NewTV
Direct Parent Groups
Metadata
Channel Links
Tip: Use the developer sidebar (Shift+Alt+D) to search for usages of this Item

Edit Item Metadata: listWidget
value: oh-stepper-item
config:
  step: 1
  min: 0
  max: 1
  buttonsOnly: true
​

but this only gives me an item that moves between 0 and 1.

Is there some way to add mapping to this item to create the Increase and Decrease commands directly?

Not with an oh-stepper-item widget by itself. You’d need to create a widget that includes buttons to send INCREASE/DECREASE commands. I’m pretty sure there are example on the marketplace for this sort of thing. Browse around and look at the code for one that you like.