Need to remove second device type/id from Linear Corp WS15Z-1

The entry for the Linear WS15Z-1 in the ZWave Binding database contains multiple device id/type pairs, however Linear has a more advanced / newer model that has the second device id/type pair, and one of the distinct advantages is that you can create an association back to the controller so that changes are sent immediately, rather than having to be polled.

I am hoping that we can remove the 5753:3535 pair from the existing record, to make way for a new entry to be created for the WS15Z5-1 device. Or maybe it is more appropriate to add the extra functionality to the older device?

I would be more than happy to create a ticket at www.opensmarthouse.org for the new device, or to update the older device, if it can be determined what the correct approach is to take.

WS15Z-1 (older)
OpenSmartHouse DB entry
Z-Wave Alliance Product Details
OpenHAB XML output - network_f21a172e__node_20.xml (6.9 KB)

WS15Z5-1 (newer)
Z-Wave Alliance Product Details
OpenHAB XML output - network_f21a172e__node_28.xml (10.4 KB)

If is is at all useful, this is the change that I made in a fork in order to build a custom binding to get this device to work for me for OpenHAB 3.0.0, hoping to get this into the official DB so I don’t have to keep doing this each time I upgrade :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help,
–Scott

CC: @chris

I saw from another post that Chris is on Holiday without internet access. Could be awhile if you don’t already have DB access. Sounds like it is not urgent since you have custom binding.

I guess the key question is when the device pair you want to remove was added to the existing device pair; was that done to avoid creating a new device (with the properties you note added and/or not using them) or because the mfg is using the same number for both the older and newer device. If the former there should be no roadblocks to the change, if the latter your proposed changes could affect someone negatively. My vote would be with the first option since the devices appear quite different, but I’m not in charge :wink:

Bob

@apella12, as far as I can tell it was the former, since the newer device has a different model number and a different registration with the Z-Wave Alliance.

Is there a way to look at the history of the entry in the database (I do have DB access, I added an unrelated Linear item in the past (one of the outlets?)).

The Github commit history.unfortunately does not have any notes about why the change was made.

Thanks,
–Scott

Or maybe not - I had write access to the original database, but I do not have write (only read) access to the OpenSmartHome database.

I created a ticket to request access.

–Scott

That will also need to wait for Chris.

There is a field for last approval (and first approval), but beyond that IDK. Also gleened from other posts, I do not think the person (or why it was made) is captured, but I do not know that for sure either. I have not had to add a reason for changes I have made in most cases.

It is possible to separate devices based on the “Version”, but assuming you have both devices they both advertise as version 4 in your XML’s. To my knowledge the model number is derived from the codes, not the other way around.

That’s about all I can help
Bob

I was given write access, and I have submitted an edit to remove 5753:3535 from the existing record.

–Scott

I see that change has been approved. Now you need to add a new one or those with that device are going to have an issue.

I just tried to create a new device, but got an error dialog with the error details of “Error” - is it possible for someone to look at the server logs to be able to tell what the actual error is?

Maybe @chris ?

(The XML that I tried to upload is attached in my first message as the OpenHAB XML output for the WS15Z5-1 device.)

–Scott

The problem was caused by an entry having the same IDs. It was an entry that someone started but never completed - I’ve removed it and it has created the new device -:

Awesome, thank you so much @chris, I have uploaded the product image and manual, and updated the parameters and associations with the appropriate descriptions from the manual.

–Scott