I have a Zwave Plus mini power meter plug from a company called Minoston that has the same model number (MP21ZP) as an existing device in the database ( NIE Technology MP21ZP Mini Plug with Power Meter) OpenSmartHouse Z-Wave Device Database
The Manufacturer number for my device is 786 versus the entry in the database of 0312
I already have access to the zwave database at Open Smart House but wanted to confirm the proper procedure for getting this addressed.
Ah interesting (regarding the hex thing) Well to answer your question, yes it “includes” if includes means it shows as ONLINE in the things list after scanning and clicking “Add as Thing” (in openhab 3 which I think I failed to mention originally) but when i go to look at available channels to configure I always see “This thing has no channels. Either the thing type doesn’t define channels, or they may be detected and appear later.” even letting it sit for hours/days. Hence my question. Thank you for responding so quickly Bob.
Well I tried the reset to factory defaults approach suggested by Ap15e but didnt work… turned debug mode on for the zwave log and this is what comes up when i chose to reinitialize device. Maybe it will provide a clue for you guys.
I still think the latest snapshot .jar is the best shot. When things are modified in the device DB it is for a reason. If that doesn’t work the device may be defective. What version of OH3 are you on right now? Is the Zwave binding from the UI or do you have it in the addons?
Well that did it. Thank you @anon71759204 and @apella12 for all the input. So I am wondering…what did you see in my Debug Log file that made you realize it was the binding that wasn’t up to date? Also I am curious, is the only way to stay up to date (at least for stable release bindings) is to do it through sudo openhabian-config ? I assume the main web UI for openhab3 will NOT show the user that there are newer versions of ones installed bindings?
I think @anon71759204 pointed out the Debug line. However, for me, although you never revealed the OH3 version or the Zwave .jar date, I strongly suspected the problem back at post #7 when I saw the device had been recently modified. When a device is modified, it is removed from any binding builds until those mods are approved. I looked at the recent DB changes and saw the device was restored with the build I referenced above. To be honest, I did not look to closely at your latest Debug file.
I can’t comment on other OH update methods. There are many depending on your setup. For Openhabian I think sudo openhabian-config is the supported way.
OH is in constant flux, but each build is a fixed point in time and is not patched or changed once built. There are daily snapshots with updates/changes.
As to zwave, the java part of the Zwave binding is very stable with very little change, however, the zwave binding is updated about 2x a week because of the DB changes. I make it a habit to check the approval dates on the devices I buy. If you buy the newest and latest, you might have to add it to the database and then update the .jar once it is approved. If it is an older device it will usually work on the last stable release (OH3.1 currently).
If a Z-Wave device is in the Z-Wave database (matching manufacturer ID, device type, device ID and version) and the Z-Wave binding nevertheless throws an Unable to find thing type error, chances are that it has been modified in the Z-Wave database, it is waiting for a review and it hasn’t made it into the latest snapshot.