Nest Multiple Thermostats

Hello has anyone configured one sitemap with multiple thermostats ? I am going through the tutorial and getting information to come through correctly - meaning I have configured the connect correctly - but I am not realizing how I can divide the information between two thermostats say one called upstairs and one downstairs.

The thing I am having trouble reconciling is how does OpenHab know which device to use and what that equals so a mapping file from nest to openhab so to speak :slight_smile:
Hope that makes sense!

Taking the example from the wiki page:

Number NestTStatUpstairs_humidity "Humidity [%d %%]" {nest="<[thermostats(Living Room).humidity]"}

The (Living Room) part is the name of the particular Nest you want bound to that item.

Understand that thanks Rich for the reply! :slight_smile:
I am just trying to understand where Nest.com references that … meaning Living Room must be the location of that Nest ? Right ? I just wanna make sure because I am not seeing data in my openhab and need to troubleshoot backwards so first off I wanted to make sure I was interpreting it correctly.
Am I on the right track?
Also one side question - apologies for the multiple. Have you been successful in putting in the logging to your logback.xml specific to NEST as described in the wiki?

You set the name of the Nest device when you initially configure it. It asks you to enter the location which becomes its name. When you go to Net’s website where you can remotely control the unit, the name is at the very bottom under the icon for the device:

That is the name you need to reference in the Item binding.

It has been a long while since I’ve had it uncommented out but I have had it working in the past.

1 Like

OK so I was on track with the naming - thank yoU!
Logging I was having trouble with - I am not sure how to troubleshoot with this…
Do you remember with the log if you just put it at the end of your log file or where specifically?

Thanks!

There are two parts. You have to make an appender to save it to a separate file and then assign the appender to the nest classes.

So, after the last appender element I put:

<appender name="NESTFILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
            <file>${openhab.logdir:-logs}/nest.log</file>
            <rollingPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
                <fileNamePattern>logs/nest-%d{yyyy-ww}.log.zip</fileNamePattern>
                <maxHistory>30</maxHistory>
            </rollingPolicy>
            <encoder>
                <pattern>%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5level] [%-30.30logger{36}:%-4line]- %msg%n</pattern>
            </encoder>
        </appender>

And right after the line that says <!-- Change DEBUG->TRACE for even more detailed logging --> I added

<logger name="org.openhab.binding.nest" level="TRACE" additivity="false">
            <appender-ref ref="NESTFILE" />
        </logger>

I have had these lines commented out for a long time so don’t know if something has changed.

Thank you Rich!
I now have logging continuing - normal logging . However looks like that bit of logging for nest no workie :frowning: … But at least normal logging is continuing.
I will keep digging as to why but at least all other operations are going swimmingly :slight_smile:

Ill attach my xml here just in case you see something my eyes wont show me …

Thanks again for the help!

logback.xml (3.0 KB)

The only thing I notice is that your newlines are different than what was already there (i.e. when I open in Notepad on Windows your additions are all on one line while everything else is on multiple lines). You might try running dos2unix on it to normalize the newlines.

Beyond that I don’t see any errors.

Make sure the openhab user has permission to create a new file in the logs directory.

Thanks will try reformatting, that could just be when I took it off b/c in vi it looks the same but Ill look again.

I do see a nest.log its just empty :frowning:

I reformatted, will let you know how it goes :slight_smile: forgot about dos2unix… been so long since I have needed it :slight_smile:

Are you certain that the Nest binding is installed and successfully being loaded?

I will confirm, I know the jar is there… but then again that doesnt prove snot does it :slight_smile:

I just rebooted the box its on and all started working magically, not sure what that is but Ill deal with it later :slight_smile:
I think I am able to set temp, looks like I made too many initial requests at first - logs showing I did anyway… will let it sit and configure habmin and see later if i can still turn up heat and down :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!