Network Binding resolve iPad Hostname

Hi all,

I am trying to setup network binding on OH3.
It is working fine for Windows and Android devices, but it is not able to resolve my ipad Hostname (it only works when specifying the ip adress.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get presence detection for my ipad using the Hostname? I tried my-iPad as well as my-iPad.local without success.

Many thanks,
Daniel

It depends on what you’ve called your iPad.

This is an old article, but I think it’s still true.

Also, you might be able to see your iPad’s exact hostname in your router.

Personally, I just assign static IP addresses to devices in my router settings and use those to identify devices.

Sorry I was a bit unprecise. The hostname of my ipad in this example is “my-iPad”, but this is not working.

Then it might just be that your router isn’t able to see your iPad’s hostname. Local hostnames sometimes just choose not to work on mobile devices. I’ve had Android devices where the hostname didn’t work and then started to, and have heard of others experiencing the exact opposite. I thought that iOS is better about that, but it could be more to do with the router.

That’s why I use static IPs–I never have to worry about how devices are identifying themselves. If you go that route, note that newer iOS devices specify virtual MAC addresses that are specific to each wifi.