New Binding: Hue Emulator - Amazon Echo integration

Nothing changed. I have only 1 z-wave device. Do you mean to use alexa app to remove/discover devices ? I did that.

@r27
Yes. Does Alexa find the device when you rescan?

It doesn’t. That is the problem. And I did reset alexa. The last step I have to do is setup new OH2 and try it.

Thank you!

I am noticing the same phenomena with my system. If I ask to set the temperature to 70, the item is updated with 69. Any plans to address?

Hi. I finally got my Echo(s) yesterday :grin: so i wanted to get this voice-controll-super-cool-feature up and running. I am already following this issues for some months now to find a solutions to get Alexa working with my KNX stuff. I think by far the easiest (to start this journey) seems to be this HUE Emulation service!
So, my OH2 is already operational (incl. Sonos and KNX bindings).
But now i am completely lost … Alexa does not find any device (the tagging in .items is done).
I tried all the recommendations in this post. So my last chance is to ask the community.

Did i miss something? Do i have to configure the HUE binding in OH2 on-top of the emulation service? Do i have to add the HUE skill to my Echo? Placing the .jar file of this project into the addons folder is enough?
Can´t believe it´s really as easy as tagging items, enable pairing and that´s it comared to the other super-mega complicated solution out there :confused:

Any help and comments highly appreciated.

John,

In OH2, you should be able to get Alexa via the Hue Bridge functional with a couple of simple steps.

1. Install the Binding via Paper UI, I’ll assume you’ve done this. OR Add the Binding to …/services/addon.cfg

2. Add an appropriate tag to your Items. ie - [“Switchable”]. Personally, I add this Item as a second Channel in Habmin to associate it to the Z-Wave device I want to switch.

Switch LtToyRoom  "Toy Room Lights" (gLights)    ["Switchable"]
  1. Enable Device Pairing in the Paper UI. Configuration --> Services --> IO --> Hue Emulation Configure. OR put it in a Services File.
  2. Tell Alexa to Find your Devices.
  3. Turn on logging if you aren’t finding a problem.
log:set DEBUG org.openhab.io.hueemulation
  1. Tell Alexa to Turn On or Off what ever your Label name is. For the Item above, you would say, “Alexa turn ON the Toy Room Lights.”

If this is still not working, then turn on logging and share your Item definition, and log detail.

Tony

1 Like

Hi Tony,

thanks for your response.
Well, i think the problem is the installation part …
What Binding due you mean exactly? I can’t find a Hue Bridge binding in Paper UI. Only the "Hue Binding"
The only thing i did was to add the .jar file for the “openHab Hue Emulation Service” from Github to the addon directory (/usr/share/openhabe2/addons).

The rest shoud be OK.
the items are tagged with “Switchable” or “Lighting”, pairing is enabled via Paper UI. Configuration --> Services --> IO --> Hue Emulation Configure

But she still can’t find any devices.

Debug log when discovering devices (10.1.3.32 is the Echo).

16:31:26.377 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 10.1.3.32: GET /api/discovery.xml
16:31:26.377 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 10.1.3.32: GET /api/discovery.xml
16:31:26.386 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 10.1.3.32: GET /api/discovery.xml
16:31:26.696 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 10.1.3.32: GET /api/fsI27NbdqOhF6xVv13sVQSXcLxDKwdoiTVvsjnPk/lights
16:31:26.701 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 10.1.3.32: GET /api/fsI27NbdqOhF6xVv13sVQSXcLxDKwdoiTVvsjnPk/lights
16:31:26.701 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 10.1.3.32: GET /api/fsI27NbdqOhF6xVv13sVQSXcLxDKwdoiTVvsjnPk/lights

At this point with HE in OH2 (somewhere around Beta 4), I would only Add the binding via PaperUI. Not long ago we needed to do a lot more hacking to add testing jars, but HE is pretty stable and PaperUI will grab the right jar.

I suggest…

1. Remove the .jar file from addons.
  2. Restart or Reboot.
  3. Then add the Binding through Paper UI via the Add-ons --> Misc. --> Hue Emulation Install button.
  4. Then make sure you have Discover enabled.
  5. Maybe restart again and make sure you see a “Started Hue Emulation service at /api” message in your log at startup.
  6. Retest.

Hipieeee. YOU ARE THE MAN :clap: THANKS Tony

What a stupid thing … i really did not see the ->MISC<- menu in Paper UI to install the binding, shame on me :rage:

Discovery works fine, so the journey can continue.

THANKS !!!

I have to admit that I too have to click around a lot, often thinking now where did I see that?

Happy to hear it’s working.

One of the things to remember. Add labels that are similar to the way you speak about rooms & lights. For rooms that only have one light I’m very specific with something like “Family Room Light”, but if there are multiple lights, I’ll use a label such as “Toy Room Lights” (plural).

Because you cannot set a scene, but instead have to use a Switch, the language gets more interesting like “Turn on Bedtime”. Which makes little sense, but I’m sure things will evolve.

Cheers!

Is there a tutorial out there how to connect alexa with Harmony hub, to control ButtonPress?

Hi together,

I just received my Echo Dot 2 last week and played around a bit. For the beginning I installed the hueemulation binding in OH2 and followed the steps to pair a simple device in my items. But I’m not able to find any device with my alexa app, so the question is, what I’m doing wrong?

In the log everything looks fine for me.

Debug log:

2016-12-25 15:10:12.616 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation         ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.io.hueemulation
2016-12-25 15:10:12.636 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation         ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet}={service.pid=org.openhab.hueemulation, service.config.category=io, service.config.label=Hue Emulation, component.name=org.openhab.hueemulation, component.id=196, pairingEnabled=true, service.config.description.uri=io:hueemulation, service.id=335, service.bundleid=213, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.io.hueemulation
2016-12-25 15:10:12.662 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Device pairing enabled : true
2016-12-25 15:10:12.702 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation         ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {javax.servlet.ServletContext}={osgi.web.symbolicname=org.openhab.io.hueemulation, osgi.web.version=2.0.0.201612231552, osgi.web.contextpath=/, service.id=336, service.bundleid=213, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.io.hueemulation

2016-12-25 15:10:12.716 [INFO ] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Started Hue Emulation service at /api
2016-12-25 15:10:12.721 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation         ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.io.hueemulation

In my items file I just defined one entry for a virtual switch, one the karaf console I’m able to switch the socket. I also tried a few different devices but without success.
My Item file

Switch Schaltsteckdose_Wohnzimmer_PC_an_aus		"Schaltsteckdose Wohnzimmer PC [MAP(de.map):%s]"	<poweroutlet>	     (GSocket,GEchoDot)	["Switchable"]	

Some further informations:
System: Raspi3 with debian jessy
OH2: 2.0.0. Snapshot, Build: 670

I thank you in advance for any helpfull ideas.

Jens

Did you remember to enable pairing in the Paper UI settings for the hue emulation binding? That would prevent alexa from seeing the devices.

Try the item without [MAP(de.map):%s]
You can name it in the sitemap if it works…

@anthonygillet, yes, pairing is enabled in the Paper UI, message in the log file.

2016-12-25 15:10:12.662 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Device pairing enabled : true

@sasha_jpr, without [MAP(de.map):%s] the same effect, no items found.

I don’t understand it, everything I try no items will be found.
Is this maybe a network problem, because I have a physically Hue bridge with hue bulbs?

Thanks
Jens

Yes, having actual Hue bridge can be problem. I also faced situation when Echo couldn’t find any item because other service was broadcasting on UPD port 1900.

Try to disconnect Hue bridge, restart openhab and scan for items from Echo. You can bring bridge back after successful pairing with OH.

1 Like

I’m also seeing this. I had upgraded from a manual install, to the latest apt package beta (4?) a while back and had just noticed it tonight. At first I thought the command wasn’t going through at all, even though Alexa responded “OK.”

I upgraded to beta5 and uninstalled/installed the binding with no change.

If I have already defined the Item in PaperUI, how can I add the lable [“Switchable”] or [“Lighting”]?

How can I activate DEBUG logging for the hueEmulator?

I am also not able to see any devices in the Alexa App.

Thank you so much!

Hi Red_Wraith could you send me the rule you use to workaround the temperature offset of -1 please? Thanks!! :slight_smile: