New binding: Isy

Hi Ron,

Ok made a few searches and got some progress; here it goes:

In the ISY admin console; I did a Restore Modem (PLM); this was the recommended solution from another post when locally changed devices are not reflected in the ISY console. Closed and reopend the console, Bingo; now I see the changes in the ISY Admin console when I make changes locally, or through Paper UI in OpenHab.

What still does not work is the status in OpenHab updating for local changes. So to illustrate this:

Change done in OpenHab (PaperUI):

• Updates Status in ISY Console :+1:
  • Updates Status locally :+1:

Changes done in ISY Console:

• Does NOT updates Status in OpenHab (Paper UI) :-1:
  • Updates Status locally :+1:

Changes done in locally:

• Updates Status in ISY Console :+1:
  • Does NOT updates Status in OpenHab (Paper UI) :-1:

Let me know if you can get to the same state as I am; hopefully we can resolve the status updates in OpenHabā€¦

Cheers

For the record, I managed to fix my issue with ā€œUnresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.clientā€ by doing a ā€œfeature:install openhab-httpclientā€ from the karaf console on my 2.3 install. It seems to be running fine now.

Hi,
It has taken me a bit but I think I have gotten to the bottom of my challenges. After trying the ā€œRestore Modemā€ solution and some further troubleshooting, I wrongly concluded that my PLM had failed. So I ordered and installed a new one, only to receive the same result. I then resorted to deleting and re-linking all of my insteon devices. This seems to have resolved my issues. All of the conditions you identified are now successful on my system. My PLM did fail a few years ago and I believe I simply failed to completely restore it to my system back then.
All seems to be working well now.
Ron

Hey all,
Is the ISY binding for the ISY-99, which is now no longer sold/supported by UD? Or is it primarily for the newer ISY-994 ? I have the former, and I couldnā€™t locate any related info in the docs to see if it was supported by the binding.

Thanks

Hi,
The ISY binding is missing Paper UI interface (so I canā€™t remove the version that is installed). This matters as the ISY binding that is presently installed only finds my Scenes (none of the devices). Could I get a little help here?

I see perfect syncing of a dimmer between openhab, ISY and local control.

However, there is no syncing of ā€œloadā€ component of a keypadlinc. I am also not seeing an updates from the buttons on the keypadlinc.

For missing scene updates:
ā€“> https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/21026-isy-binding-for-openhab-2/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-241103

Cheers,
-Th

1 Like

thank you for the link

@craigh, thanks for putting this together! I installed the 2.2 jar in my addons (Ubuntu) and I see the ISY Binging in the Paper Configuration->Bindings. It also shows up in my Inbox. When I click on it, I get a blank screen to choose a thing. Iā€™m having trouble where to go next. I saw some posts here for using an isy.things file. Should I make one like this?

Bridge isy:isyBridge:MyISY "My ISY" [ user="admin", password="secret", ipAddress="192.168.1.193" ] {
    Thing isy:dimmer:MyISY:DiningRoom "Dining Room" [ address="1D 43 DE", name="Dining Room", 
deviceid="01.20" ]
}

I tried it and it didnā€™t seem to make any difference. I know the username, password, and ip address have to go somewhere, so it makes sense to need one, but I saw a post saying that it wasnā€™t necessary. Like I said, Iā€™m just trying to figure out where to go next.

Thanks in advance!

I have an ISY944. I originally got it because of the PLM which would allow me to leverage all the X10 devices I had collected over the years and because it would allow me to use, my preferred technology, Z-wave. I have no Insteon devices.

The ISY came with version 4.x firmware and worked reasonably well. I upgraded to the 5.x firmware and things just went south, at least for me.

I have eliminated all my X10 devices at this point.

I have made the switch to OpenHABian with a Aeotec usb Z-stick. for my controller. Mostly because I want to keep replacement hardware on hand and a second pi and second z-stick is a lot cheaper than a second ISY.

The point of my post is that I have a perfectly good ISY944 and PLM sitting on the shelf. For that matter, I have a bunch of X10 modules as well. If anyone is interested message me.

1 Like

OK, Iā€™ve got all of my switches configured in OH. I can turn them on and off from PaperUI, which is awesome!

So, what does a rule look like to turn a light on? Iā€™ve got something like this:

if (LastZoneNum=="004") {
  logInfo("test","Garage door changed")
  // turn on garage light here
}

My garage light channel (?? I think thatā€™s the right term) is isy:switch:MyISY:3C_31_E8:state

I thought I could do something like isy:switch:MyISY:3C_31_E8:state.sendCommand(ON), but the parser didnā€™t like that.

Also, what would the command look like for a dimmer?

Thanks!!!

OK, answering my own question. I figured out how to turn the light on:

isy_garage.sendCommand(ON)

But how do I determine if a switch has been manually used? As in, Iā€™d like to use a light as a trigger to do stuff? I saw that each switch comes with two channels, with one called Dimmer and one called ā€œpaddleactionā€. I was hoping that I could use that as a trigger, so I installed it in my items file:

String isy_diningroom_wallswitch_paddle "Dining Room Trigger" {channel="isy:dimmer:MyISY:DiningRoom:paddleaction" }
Dimmer isy_dining "Dining Room" { channel="isy:dimmer:MyISY:DiningRoom:loadlevel" }

And manually toggled the switch a few times, hoping to see something in the events log, but nothing showed up, so I am obviously making some sort of mistake. Or it canā€™t be done, in which case, what are the *.paddleaction channels for?

Thanks in advance!!

I am making progress controlling my lights, but I can still use some help getting OH to respond to Insteon switch presses. Is it possible for a light switch to trigger a rule in OH?

I do not use specific devices to generate events or to control lighting from openhab - reason being that if a insteon device dies, then you have to change your code in openhab. if you use scenes only then you can use the isy replace device function without touching openhab. Not ideal but makes maintenance easier.

I was hoping to use a KPL and a remotelinc that I have a button to turn all lights off at bedtime and also arm my security system. I donā€™t mind having to rewrite the code in the rare case that I need to replace a device. But if it doesnā€™t work that way, Iā€™ll figure something else out.

I donā€™t know if it has any bearingā€¦but, what version of firmware are you running on the ISY?

The 5.x series has had a lot of issues, mostly zwave, but some with insteon.

I do see events for paddle presses - using firmware 5.12

2018-08-28 11:54:32.735 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - isy_switch_c7b00e44_5_E3_4_paddleaction changed from DON to DOF
2018-08-28 11:54:32.774 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - isy_switch_c7b00e44_5_E3_4_state changed from ON to OFF

I do have the insteon paddle actions working for regular switches now, but I still canā€™t detect the middle buttons of a KPL KeypadLinc. I think maybe the ISY isnā€™t set up to do so??? Has anyone figured out a workaround? I have a scene in which that button is the controller. When I turn the scene on and off with OH, or with the ISY Admin console, the scene is logged as turning on/off. But when using the KPL, the paddle press is not logged, and the scene itself is not logged as turning on/off. I can see all of the individual devices change, but not the button itself.

I was thinking like tracking a certain device within the scene, and when it changes, look to see if another device in the scene has a change within say one second before or after the first device. If it does, consider the scene activated??? Just pick two devices that arenā€™t a part of any other scenes. I am hoping for something more elegant, but I think this logic should work.

I was also thinking if there was some sort of ā€œvirtual deviceā€ that we could attach to a scene, and track that virtual device for changes. That would be cool.

Funny, because all of a sudden I am having the same issues but even worse. I am not getting any events from the ISY into OpenHAB. Control from OH works fine. Did the standard stuff like clearing the cache and rebooting everything but not getting anything

Hi,

Iā€™ve been trying to get the following items working:

1. ToggleLinc Relay: 02.0D - Insteon model 2466S
  2. Insteon DIN Rail On/Off: 02.2E - Insteon model 2453-222 (915MHz) | 0x2E
  3. InLine Linc Dual band dimmer: 01.32 - Insteon model 2475DA1

With Auto-Discovery they show up as ā€œUnrecognized Deviceā€. When added I get the following error:

If I add a Thing manually this is what happens:

Am I missing something? Do I need to modify some files directly? I can see where there are differences in definitions of the Channels but I canā€™t seem to figure out how to correct them.

Iā€™m on OpenHAB 2.3 and Iā€™ve uninstalled and reinstalled ISY Binding directly from Eclipse IoT Marketplace.

Thanks