New binding: Isy

You could try the version of the binding from here https://hentschel.github.io/

That version has support for other devices that the marketplace one does not.

Thanks Michael,

I did download the .jar and place it in the add-ons folder. Restarted OpenHAB. The version listed in the “bundle:list” is 2.3.0.201806112243. Same result.

Could it be because of things leftover from a previous version?

Appreciate the help.

Make sure you uninstall the marketplace binding

Clear the cache and tmp folders as per here Clear the Cache

That might help

Thanks again for the help. Here’s what I did (in this order):

1. Uninstalled the Eclipse IoT Marketplace add-on
  2. Stopped OpenHAB service
  3. Cleared the Cache and Tmp as instructed
  4. Started OpenHAB service
  5. Inbox still shows some Unrecognized Devices so I deleted some of them
  6. Searched for new Things
  7. Same devices still show Unrecognized

Again, I appreciate all of the input. I will keep at it.

This is what showed up in the log:

2018-09-08 12:01:17.440 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Livingroom Track, type: 01.1D, address: 12 AB 82 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.504 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Pantry Lock _ Lock, type: 0F.06, address: 16 AD 19 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.528 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Lakeside Flood, type: 02.1E, address: 1D 9E 18 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.550 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Lakeside Landscape, type: 02.1E, address: 1F 12 F1 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.571 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Fireplace Accent, type: 01.32, address: 3B A6 CB 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.584 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Underdeck, type: 02.2E, address: 3F 96 A3 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.593 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing 'isy:unrecognized:fbe97868:3F_96_A3' to inbox.
2018-09-08 12:01:17.596 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Column, type: 02.2E, address: 3F 97 F8 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.606 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing 'isy:unrecognized:fbe97868:3F_97_F8' to inbox.
2018-09-08 12:01:17.608 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Sconce, type: 02.2E, address: 3F 99 1A 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.626 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: East Wall Accent, type: 01.32, address: 43 8F D4 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.663 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Garage Wall, type: 02.0D, address: 5 97 CC 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.675 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: Boathouse Landscape, type: 02.0D, address: 5 97 E5 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.699 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: 0F.D9.32.1, type: 02.12, address: F D9 32 1
2018-09-08 12:01:17.710 [WARN ] [sy.discovery.IsyRestDiscoveryService] - Unsupported insteon node, name: 0F.D9.09.1, type: 02.12, address: F D9 9 1

Posted this over in the Universal Devices (ISY) Forum, but thought maybe someone over here might have some expertise.

I brought ISY994i online this weekend using the 2.3 binding linked on the UDI forums (and mentioned above). I have (almost) everything working wonderfully, so kudos and thank you to the authors of the binding.

The only item which is challenging me is a Dual Outlet Linc. The device is discovered and I see this through the RESTapi

{
“statusInfo”: {
“status”: “OFFLINE”,
“statusDetail”: “COMMUNICATION_ERROR”
},
“editable”: true,
“label”: “Outfront Top”,
“bridgeUID”: “isy:isyBridge:isy994”,
“configuration”: {
“name”: “Outfront Top”,
“deviceid”: “02.39”,
“address”: “3D BC 2D”
},
“properties”: {},
“UID”: “isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D”,
“thingTypeUID”: “isy:dualoutletlinc”,
“channels”: [
{
“linkedItems”: [],
“uid”: “isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D:loadlevel1”,
“id”: “loadlevel1”,
“channelTypeUID”: “isy:loadLevel”,
“itemType”: “Dimmer”,
“kind”: “STATE”,
“label”: “Load Level”,
“description”: “Increase/decrease the load level”,
“defaultTags”: [],
“configuration”: {}
},
{
“uid”: “isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D:loadlevel2”,
“id”: “loadlevel2”,
“channelTypeUID”: “isy:loadLevel”,
“itemType”: “Dimmer”,
}
]
}

Once linked to an item, I never get past this error

2018-09-07 12:10:46.323 [DEBUG] [binding.isy.handler.IsyDeviceHandler] - handle command, channel: isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D:loadlevel1, command: ON
2018-09-07 12:10:46.324 [DEBUG] [binding.isy.handler.IsyDeviceHandler] - SceneHandler handleCommand caught exception: Could not find device id for channel: {}‘loadlevel1’

I was confused why it was added as a dimmer rather than a switch, sine the code seems to show it adds two switches? I edited the JSON file to switches, but still same errors. I then edited down the JSON to a single switch and then things work as shown: No clue how I would add the second outlet to the JSON file

{
“statusInfo”: {
“status”: “UNINITIALIZED”,
“statusDetail”: “BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED”
},
“editable”: true,
“label”: “Outfront Top”,
“bridgeUID”: “isy:isyBridge:isy994”,
“configuration”: {
“name”: “Outfront Top”,
“deviceid”: “02.39”,
“address”: “3D BC 2D”
},
“UID”: “isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D”,
“thingTypeUID”: “isy:dualoutletlinc”,
“channels”: [
{
“uid”: “isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D:state”,
“id”: “state”,
“channelTypeUID”: “isy:switchState”,
“itemType”: “Switch”,
}
]
},

2018-09-07 12:34:07.259 [DEBUG] [binding.isy.handler.IsyDeviceHandler] - handle command, channel: isy:dualoutletlinc:isy994:3D_BC_2D:state, command: ON
2018-09-07 12:34:07.322 [DEBUG] [binding.isy.handler.IsyDeviceHandler] - insteon address for command is: 3D BC 2D 1
2018-09-07 12:34:07.323 [DEBUG] [b.binding.isy.internal.IsyRestClient] - changeNodeState called, command: DON, value: null, address: 3D BC 2D 1
2018-09-07 12:34:07.324 [DEBUG] [b.binding.isy.internal.IsyRestClient] - changeNodeState url: http://ISY994.radner/rest/nodes/3D BC 2D 1/cmd/DON

Before I start cloning and debugging I figured I would risk a question to see if someone else has been able to get this devices working.

Suggestions please?

I have a couple of zwave open/closed sensors that are working with my ISY internally. Does the binding support zwave yet?

Also pretty newby with this other question, what does the “Paddle action” do? What is it for?

I do not know about zwave

Paddle action is the local press of the button. Loadlevel is the % on of the light

Newbie question:
I have configured two dimmer switches in a 3-way configuration within the ISY 994i by creating a scene. When I scan for ISY devices from within OH2, the scene and switches are all imported into OH2 as things. The scene has only On/Off but the switches have dimmer. Now I am confused as to which would be better? Try to create a group of both switches in OH2 and delete the scene imported from ISY or use the scene imported from ISY and configure this scene as dimmer?

Also, I two Insteon 8 scene mini remote controls. I have no idea how to bring them over into OH2. These are configured in the ISY but do not get imported into OH2. I am reading this thread where it has been done by making entries in a file, but which file?

Sorry for these newbie questions. I have installed OH2 on Windows 10 and so far created some things and items, but some ignorance still prevails.

Thanks,
Arun

For your 3 way switch, the one switch does nothing and so you do not need to import it. If you want to have control over the light level, then you need to import the dimmer switch. If you just want to control the switch on/off with the level used in the scene you can then import the scene only. Depends on your needs.

Not sure about the remotes but you might see events in the log window

I have two of Insteon Mini Remote Scene8. These are configured in ISY but are not discovered during the discovery phase. Each of the buttons shows up as Remote-A, Remote-B and so on in ISY. Out of 16 buttons, only one was discovered and that too is showing as Unrecognized Device. Is the hyphen in the device name throwing off the OpenHAB binding discovery process?

There is another version of the binding in the universal devices forum. - it seems the binding’s author have gone silent so not much support :frowning:

Thanks, I did see that binding, but it was just a jar file. I put it into the add-on directory and nothing happened. I restarted openHAB service, but nothing was showing up in bindings. Then I somehow found out about bundle command and it showed that the ISY Binding bundle was Installed but was missing some dependencies. Then I installed another binding by Craig Hamilton (from the Web GUI, Insteon PLM Binding) and suddenly the previous binding also started showing as Active using bundle:list command. However, in OH2, there was only one ISY binding. Then I started seeing my ISY as two things. I tried device discovery by both, one at a time, but certain devices were just left out.

So, I am not sure which is the best binding at this time. The binding creators have all gone silent.

Oh well, I did give it a try, spent lot of hours, but it didn’t seem to go anywhere. OH2 is proving to be lot harder and time consuming than the commercial offerings.

Thanks,
Arun

The version from the universal devices forum has the most device support. I suggest using that and not the marketplace version.

Yes, the binding authors have been silent for quite a while.

Agree, there are pluses and minuses to OH versus commercial offerings. In the end, once you get over the painful learning curve, I think it is worthwhile.

Thanks for encouraging words. I will keep trying for some more time.

So, cross referencing the binding code, Insteon API and my setup, it seems that the mini remote I have (2342-222) has a device category 0x00 and device sub-category 0x1A. The binding’s discovery code does not support this device type.

https://insteon.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/IKB/pages/13533225/Insteon+Device+Categories+and+Sub-Categories

The binding only supports a handful of devices out of the many listed in the link above. Unless the binding developer fixes it, the device will not be discovered. I see the following error:

No handler found for thing: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingImpl@c0127305

An easy work around is to make a scene using the remote as a controller - you will see the scene changes in OH.

Just tried that, but in Things, the scene shows:

are you using the version from the universal devices forum?

Yes, as far as I can tell. I did look at the binding’s code and it supports different type of Insteon remotes, not the one that I have. Type 00.12 is already supported. It has exact same functionality as 00.1A. So, adding support for 00.1A would be extremely trivial. I can read Java code, but cannot write it, so I am stuck.

OpenHAB is also behaving in an unpredictable manner, contrary to all documentation, so unfortunately, I had to delete the installation. It installed lots of bindings and every UI and every possible service and other stuff. The bindings just would not uninstall. Searching this forum, the only relevant thread was where someone said that this would happen if I selected demo package during first time accessing the web interface. I had selected standard package, so this should not have happened.

The Eclipse SmartHome has a vision statement which I truly believe in, but unless there are dedicated developers writing code, it will not come to fruition.

Thanks for all your help
Really appreciated.

Regards,
Arun