New binding: Isy

I’m still on this forum, just on other topics/bindings mostly :slight_smile:
BTW, my source repo for the updated 2.3.x binding is here (the one that supports add’l devices, scenes updates, etc.)

The ISY binding stuff has taken a bit of a back seat for me, since the stuff I have is working the way I need it, and I haven’t added any other Insteon devices lately - it’s more of the other networked stuff on OpenHAB (like the Eagle-200, Enphase Envoy or AmbiWeather bindings). However, for actual bugs in the 2.3.x binding, please submit a bug report on the github website (prefixed with [ISY] since I got a few other bindings there too).

Maybe an incentive to try? You know, there are really decent doc’s on the openhab web page how to set things up to make a “extremely trivial” change like that.

I bet that @kai and quite a few others are working on that every day, to get sponsors+money to pay those dedicated developers. Loads of OSS projects have started that way, they’re really slow to take off, but eventually gain that momentum (see Linux, Apache, etc). In the meantime, I’m happy for what has been already created with OpenHAB, I can add what I need and that isn’t there yet, and I’ll share it (my repo link is up in this post).

But you also have options:

1. Maybe OpenHAB/OSS devel pace isn’t for you, then you should use one of the commercial offerings

2. You can post on bountysource, beerpay, etc and see if someone can fix your problem for you

3. You can petition on the UDI forum that they create a official ISY binding for OpenHAB, which then should have all ISY devices supported, and which would supplant this current binding. Make sure to report back, I’ll be sure to vote for that request.

4. Use another platform (like node-red with the isy plugin), perhaps your device is supported there?

5. You can also use the existing openhab doc’s and get the devel environment setup, and see if you can get that “one-liner” copied/pasted, compiled, build and tested. 50/50 chances it works, if it doesn’t then the REST layout on the ISY is different for your device, and you’ll have to make adaptions for that different REST layout. Rinse/repeat until it works. Either way, once it works, I’ll gladly accept your pull request on github.

Cheers
-Th

The binding doesn’t work…This is the log:

2018-11-29 18:47:17.728 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/C:/openHAB2/addons/org.openhab.binding.isy-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.isy [196]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.commons.codec

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) [?:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:383) [?:?]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [9:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.6.4]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [9:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.6.4]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:520) [9:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.6.4]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [9:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.6.4]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [9:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.6.4]

What version OHAB are you running.

-Th

I am using OH 2.3.0. I did a brand new install on Windows 10. Then I placed the jar file in the addon folder. Restarted OH2 and got this error.

Thanks,
Arun

I got a new cable modem and router and ended up changing all of my IP addresses in my house. But now my OH and ISY are not talking to each other. I can’t for the life of me find where I configured my ISY before. Where might I look to find the config for my ISY so I can enter in the correct IP address?

Thanks in advance!
Skip

I found an isy.things file in my things directory, but the file is empty. It was working before, so I don’t know how. Could I have configured it somewhere else???

Go to paperui/configuration/things and find the isy controller. click on that and click the edit button when it comes up.

OMG, that was it. Thanks!

This binding worked fine for me for a while and then all of a sudden I’m being flooded with BRIDGE_OFFLINE messages like

Mar 17 12:10:58 openhab ‘isy: scene:5182d36d:62680’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE)

for all the devices every few seconds. The ISY seems to still work fine along with the devices but the openhab connection is very slow. Has anyone seen this before?

I have developed a homie 3.0 mqtt client for the isy994. Need some help testing and supporting more devices. PM if you know some phython and aren’t afraid of getting your hands dirty.

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread but I’m still hoping for some help.
I’m trying to set up my OH2 integration with ISY through OH2 ISY binding and I would like to configure it in such way that I only control my scenes and not individual items in ISY. This will help me in the future if I need to swap any devices and I won’t need to touch OH config files for any changes. Also it helps to keep my keypad switches in sync, however I can’t figure out how to configure my scenes in OH (items or things) to be able to control some of them with the dimmer function instead of the switch function. Did any of you have figured this out? I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you in advance

Scenes can only be switches - Insteon scenes are preset and you cannot set a scene to a level. Either turn it on or off…

Thank you Michael for you reply. Let me ask you then a different question, If I set my dimmer to any level directly from OH my other keypads won’t update to reflect the current “ON” status of this scene even if they are linked to the same scene so my question is there any other way to accomplish this by not controlling the scene?

Agree, this is a very frustrating problem - keeping keypad buttons matching the current scene.

I keep keypad buttons in sync by running programs on the ISY. Its a PIA to setup but works. Let me know if you are interested.

Hi Michael,

If you don’t mind sharing your program rule from ISY and how you keep these buttons in sync with the dimmer that would be great.

Vlad

I’ve been using the ISY binding with OH2 and everything works great! However, since I’m fairly new to OpenHab, I decided to try OH 3 as this is the future and I would rather spend my time learning the newest version. But, the OH2 ISY binding does not work with OH3. Are there any plans to update this binding??
Thanks
David

1 Like

I’ve had to federate OH2 running only the ISY binding with OH3 to facilitate migrating mostly to OH3. This works, but not the best use of resources and would really like to see the ISY binding migrated. The ISY v2.4 works quite well and I don’t thing would take much effort to migrate, but it still requires a maintainer to do it. I thought about trying myself, but I would be starting at ground zero. Here’s hoping someone with the right skills steps up to do this.

Hi John,
I too have thought about trying the migration myself but I would be starting at ground zero also. The Guide: Binding development changes for openHAB 3 (from 2.5.x)
indicates what needs to be changed for the binding to work with OH3. I’ve made the changes to the source files but failed miserably when trying to re-compile. Eclipse and Maven are new to me and I have no idea where to start. I agree that someone with the right skills will hopefully step up.

I’m in the same situation and got about as far as you with a failed compiled. I did see Git that the ISY is on the list for consideration to move to OH3, but no timeline. I may try to prod this along on Git if I can find the right person to nudge. If enough of us express interest it may happen, and happen sooner than otherwise. I know there is a new Insteon binding for OH3, but that is no substitute for ISY in my opinion.

I’ve had my ISY 994i integrated with several Insteon and 1-wire temperature devices for maybe 5 years now and haven’t had any issues. I currently use MobiLinc which I would like to replace with OpenHab. I agree on the Insteon binding part. Plus I believe I would have to purchase a PLM device to communicate with the Insteon devices.