New TP-Link Smart Home binding with Bulb, Plug and Switch Support

If that’s the case, maybe support can be added in the Tapo binding.

While I understand the reason, I think that would create confusion. It’s a kasa switch not a tapo switch. People would expect controlling kasa switch with kasa bindings.

TP-Link is not concerned about this.

I’m not talking about tplinks but user coming here with kasa device using kasa bindings and tapo device using tapo bindings.

I don’t get what this guy is saying. I have both tapo and kasa app on my phone cause tapo camera and kasa devices. I can control and setup all my device in kasa, same in tapo but tapo have the camera too. Only thing is if you setup a device in tapo, you don’t see it in kasa but if you setup in kasa, you see it in tapo.

I’ve spoken this week with tplinks about it and they said if you have both device, you should use tapo apps for simplicity since it’s unified.

Technically, there is no “Kasa Binding”. There’s the “TP-Link Smarthome Binding” (created before TP-Link bought the Tapo product line), the “TapoControl Binding” (created after the purchase), and also a “TapoCamera Binding”.

So…it’s already confusing for new openHAB users (I’ve had to explain this to a few people). When I posted that link earlier, it was just to note that TP-Link’s recent changes are going to add to this confusion. If a new OH user buys a Kasa device and then sets it up with the Tapo app, which binding should they choose?

As a result, the question we probably need to start with now is, “how did you set up the device?” I can think of 5-6 answers, because TP-Link also sells Matter devices in the Kasa and Tapo product lines (none of which will work in OH at this time, as far as I’m aware).

This brings me back to:

OH is eventually going to have to make changes to reflect the reality that TP-Link prefers. It might be sensible to mark the “TP-Link Smarthome Binding” as a legacy binding, while expanding/renaming the “TapoControl Binding” to manage both Kasa and Tapo devices. Basically, have the bindings reflect the apps used to control the devices, not the branding on the boxes. But this is just speculation, since I’m not a developer.

Anyway, since you have a device that appears to use the Tapo protocol, it seemed like it might be a good way to add support for your KS240 working natively in openHAB. Even more so, now that I know you’ve already set it up in the Tapo app.

If “this guy” refers to me, note that there was a correction in the linked article from The Verge.

I didn’t re-read the article when I made my previous comment, so I was under the wrong impression when I wrote:

I’ll edit my comment to correct this.

Ha, didn’t even see that you quoted yourself lol. My comment wasn’t offensive or rude, sorry if it fell like it specially when I said this guy. My phone refused to let me scroll back to the comments while I was typing and I didn’t knew the name (and in fact that it was also you) that you quoted. Sorry if that felt like a disrespect, wasn’t the idea.

And you’re right on the tp link smart home binding. I, again, mistaken it for a kasa binding since everything it support are kasa device but its true its not the name at all of the binding.

In the end, having a binding that could do either kasa or tapo would be the best thing. Since the discovery is able to see that, it could be merged into one binding and let’s just control everything from there. I know it’s not as straight forward as this. I have 0 knowledge on how stuff works in openhab (everytime I try to start learning how to make a bindings, I fell asleep reading the documentation).

I didn’t set it in the tapo app. I use the kasa app for everything the is a kasa device. The only thing I use in tapo are my tapo camera. Yes the integration make it so in tapo, I see my kasa device but I’m not using it. In fact, last week when I was in line with tplink, it was for a problem with a kasa device and they made me use kasa beta apps for a beta firmware they release to see if if fixed my issue. I did ask about tapo and they said no use kasa. So I guess tp didn’t merge or discard the kasa app at all yet.

No worries. I just thought that it wasn’t clear why I wrote what I did, in part because of the correction I had to make to my old post.

Also understandable, as it tends to get referred to that way around here (even before the TapoControl Binding was released).

Me neither. My thought is to inquire on the Tapo thread, or put a feature request in GitHub. It might already be in the works, for all we know. If not, you could provide a good reason for work to begin.

I suspect that TP-Link will leave the Kasa app in place for awhile, since there are lots of people who will only have Kasa devices. They might sunset it if/when they start to see users dwindle (in favour of using the Tapo app).

I opened the ticket about 3 days ago on github and added my small findings. I’ll try the tapo bindings to see if the discovery at least find it.

I don’t think it will unless you add the device in the Tapo app. At least it’ll work in both, unlike when I thought it was a one-way trip.

I don’t have to add it. Tapo automaticly see all kasa device and control them. The Tapo App integrate automaticly all device registered in kasa and control them.