New user trying to set up HUSBZB ZigBee

OK, I got it.
In the file /etc/defaults/openhab2 you should see a line like this
EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Xms250m -Xmx350m"
It needs to be changed to this (using sudo)
EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Xms250m -Xmx350m -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB1"

sudo systemctl restart openhab2
to use the new settings. You should then be able to select /dev/ttyUSB1 and see logs similar to this. Of course the baud rate should be 57600 and Software flow control.

2020-01-02 18:14:36.815 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:16f687b8677' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING

2020-01-02 18:14:36.988 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:16f687b8677' changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN

2020-01-02 18:14:41.975 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:16f687b8677' has been updated.

2020-01-02 18:14:42.055 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:16f687b8677' changed from UNKNOWN to ONLINE

Here is what I see now.

Ok, something new. After changing the EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS to what Bruce suggests, Now the Ember EM35x has changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE-COMMUNICATION_ERROR.

2020-01-02 17:51:00.947 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:8cf2c92b' changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE: Failed to startup ZigBee transport layer

2020-01-02 17:51:00.954 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:8cf2c92b' changed from OFFLINE: Failed to startup ZigBee transport layer to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR)

What is your baud rate and flow control? Should be 57600 and Software
I did a fresh openHABian install and only added HABmin, zwave, & zigbee.
Who knows? another OH restart couldnā€™t hurt.

/dev/ttyUSB0 is Z-Wave :wink:

I just saw this. remove the rule. Like I said, it works on a fresh install.

OK remover the UDEV rule, now restart and have option for ttyUSB0 and 1 (not the -5 and -55 that showed up after the UDEV rule)
Set to /dev/ttyUSB1, 57600, and software (XON and XOFF)
and still OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION ERROR
The raspberry Pi has four USB connectors, Should not matter which one I use?

Bruce, you mention HABmin, I do not think I have seen that before.

And I saw a post on another thread that said to install the SERIAL binding, so I have that and the ZigBee binding installed. Have not tried Z-wave yet.

It shouldnā€™t matter.
@chris would probably like to see some debug logs. I do not have many more ideas.

The log after last restart is very long. I will have to post in sections, or can you tell me what sections I should pull out.

These are lines that the log viewer has highlighted:

2020-01-02 20:31:07.068 [DEBUG] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - RX EZSP: EzspSetConfigurationValueResponse [status=EZSP_ERROR_INVALID_VALUE]

2020-01-02 20:31:07.069 [DEBUG] [systems.zigbee.dongle.ember.EmberNcp] - EzspSetConfigurationValueResponse [status=EZSP_ERROR_INVALID_VALUE]

and

2020-01-02 20:31:13.530 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:8cf2c92b' changed from OFFLINE: Failed to startup ZigBee transport layer to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR)

and

2020-01-02 20:31:16.645 [DEBUG] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - RX EZSP: EzspSetConfigurationValueResponse [status=EZSP_ERROR_INVALID_VALUE]

2020-01-02 20:31:16.645 [DEBUG] [systems.zigbee.dongle.ember.EmberNcp] - EzspSetConfigurationValueResponse [status=EZSP_ERROR_INVALID_VALUE]

WOW, Hey guys, I finally decided to try to add the Z-wave binding and controller, and it went all good with controller ONLINE right away.
So I thought, why not delete the Ember EM35x and reinstall, I did and it finally came back and is status ONLINE.
Thank you all for your patience and help.

2 Likes

Sorry about that. Force of habit.
If you do not think you will need zwave I have a theory I can try. I suspect I should have added /dev/ttyUSB0 to the EXTRA_OPTS even though it is technically not needed. Since my system os for test, I can easily blow it away and try again.

@Bruce_Osborne yes I do expect to need the Zwave, I am moving from SmartThings to OH. Do you think I should add it or leave as is?

If you expect to need Z-Wave you can leave it as is.
I used this stick for Z-Wave for many months on Home Assistant and openHAB until I was given another Z-Wave stick to test & keep.
When I migrated from a Pi 3 to a Hyper-V Debian VM on my sonā€™s server, I decided to use the other stick for production and use the Pi and HUSBZB-1 for testing.

Where are you located? I have worked some with a Z-Wave vendor to get their devices into our database. in OH Zigbee and Zwave bindings are written by the same developer (Chris Jackson).

Iā€™m in Arkansas.

OK, great. I am in Virginia.
Zooz and their online store thesmartesthouse.com have been working with a couple of us here to insure all of their devices are supported in our database.
Their prices are quite reasonable and their support is stellar. I have had a couple of defective devices replaced with no questions asked. In fact, in one case, the issue was an incorrect manual instruction and not a hardware failure.

Looks like a good resource. Thanks.

You are welcome.
They also sell on Amazon but aim to have their own store prices lower. On their store they have a filter for openHAB.
https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/works-with-openhab