New Videos coming soon!

Hi Everyone -

My son has started to show an interest in home automation so I have started making some youtube content again. I just did a video on Home Assistant and we are going to work on one for openHAB - let me know what topics you would like to see!

Check out my new video - I know its Home Assistant, subscribe to the channel so that youtube starts to like me again - I think its mad at me for not posting in so long! :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/@yoyoTechKnows

12 Likes

I enjoy your videos. Iā€™m thrilled you are back!

I donā€™t know that age of your son but if heā€™s on the younger side, some kid friendly projects would be awesome. Iā€™ve just started giving my 10-year-old some tools to control his lights and program some capabilities using Blockly (Scratch like programming).

And of course, OH has changed a lot since your last video on it.

2 Likes

Same here. For my 10 year old I spun up a second OH container connected to the main system by a modified MQTT bus so that he has full access to the OH interface but limited available items and can break (almost) nothing. But Iā€™m sure heā€™d love to have some OH projects and advice that werenā€™t from :roll_eyes:Dad :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Iā€™m also excited to have you back. I was just a few days away from contacting you on YouTube to suggest creating a new video about OH.

Iā€™ve noticed there arenā€™t many videos available that showcase the full capabilities of the ā€œnewā€ MainUI, particularly for basic users.

You could also express your point of view what has improved since your last videos.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve also got great ideas in mind and looking forward to watching the videos!

Hi Bill,

Just want to say I enjoyed your takes and videos as well.

We had an openHAB stand at FOSDEM - the biggest free software conference in the world - where the question that was overall most asked to us was ā€œhow does it compare to Home Assistantā€ or ā€œwhy choose it over Home Assistantā€.

We have a few strong points: like, we the openHAB Foundation, offer the openHAB Cloud for free even to non-members, and we are not involved in the development itself; Home Assistant is at least in my personal view a freemium product now, that pretty much ties you to the for-profit Nabu Casa company.

There are a few technical features (e.g., the semantic model) that make openHAB stand out too.

Itā€™s all good though, openHAB was around when Home Assistant wasnā€™t even usable, and it will stay around, but Iā€™m concerned by the opensource home automation scene becoming a monoculture.

Cheers

4 Likes

It would be an interesting video to see someone show off little areas of openHAB, in a short format of ā€˜this is what it is and looks likeā€™. Maybe using Blockly to do 1 or 2 rules. The purpose would be 2 fold. 1. I can learn from it as I have never used it (probably wonā€™t as I prefer text rules) but I would like to know a little more about it. 2. Shows Home Assistant users what Blocky is all about.

I dont know how old your son is, but having a younger person showcase how easy it can be to implement graphic based rules would be a good watch.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I have been working on a new setup of openHAB and some videos to go along with it - I always enjoy going back and forth trying different technologies - sometimes the setup and discovering new features is the best part.

Please keep the suggestions coming - my son is helping on the filming side, but hopefully i can get him on camera soon! :slight_smile:

I just posted another new one today - not openHAB yet - but working on it!

2 Likes

Also let us know if you run into any trouble or donā€™t fully understand something. Even if you were not creating videos, we hate to see people get frustrated on something that could be cleared up within a few minutes of posting a question.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.