New Z-Way Binding

Patrick, first of all, a big thank you for your excellent work, which made me replace the zwave binding to z-way from the day you announced it. For me everything works fine since a very few releases after initial.

I follow this conversation with @Mihai_Badea (btw. thanks for your efforts, too) and just would like to know, who will announce, when and if your recent changes will come to effect for the snapshot releases of OH2?

Thanks for your nice words! I can’t say when the last changes come to effect for the snapshot releases of OH2. Currently there is a discussion whether the information of last update or last connection as channel is the right way. But I’ll publish news here.

Do I use the wrong version or is it still not possible to add linked items in channels?

I’m still jumping between openhab with its own zwave binding and yours with openhab on another server :slight_smile:

Hi,

Changes of PaperUI that fixes the issue are not yet in snapshot build. I’ll write here as soon as it works.

1 Like

Well, I’m still getting those and the like…
Does anybody have any clue as why and who is trying to update an old item?
Where should I look?
It is somehow connected to the zway binding because I’m getting these messages only for the zwave items that I renamed. Restarting openHAB and even the system does not help.

Hi,

Please delete old openHAB Items in Z-Way manually for the moment.

1 Like

Damn! I didn’t think to look there, sorry.
Thank you, Patrick :smile:
Using you binding I kinda forgot I have the z-way-server running :wink:
Keep up the good work!

The designer of ZWay emailed me that the software was designed for us on the Z-Way.ME UZB or RaZberry, but that I could definitely try it on an AeonLab Gen 5 zwave stick.

I got an evaluation license and I want to install the ZWay library on a Ubuntu (16.04) 64 bit machine nad try using the AeonLab zwave stick. If this will not work I’ll get a UZB stick and repeat the test.
I’m following the instructions in here

In the section Prepare Z-Way Server I started z-way-server in the foreground.
In Openhab2 I found and added Z-Way Server 10.98.87.103 and filled in the fields according to the instructions in section Create and configure a Z-Way Bridge

Once I go to the Scan for Things and click on the scan button, I’m seeing

• In PaperUI no thing comes up
  • In the z-way-server foreground I see the following message:
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.136] [D] [zway] ---------------------------
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.136] [D] [zway] Initialization done
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.136] [D] [zway] Job 0x07 (Get controller info and supported function classes): success
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.136] [C] [zway] Device is not compatible. Terminating...
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.136] [I] [zway] Removing job: Get controller info and supported function classes
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.142] [D] [zway] Worker thread exit point
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.142] [D] [zway] Worker thread successfully finished
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.153] [E] [zway] SaveData will not save data since it wasn't loaded. This is to prevent data loss.
[2017-02-21 23:36:58.157] [I] [core] Notification: critical (z-wave): Cannot start Z-Wave binding: Error: Bad data - communication failed

I’m not sure that I’m doing section Create and configure a Z-Way Bridge properly.
My questions:

• I received a license key for the ZWay library from z-wave.us. Where do I add it? (adding it in the ZWay binding in the password field did not help)
  • If not the ZWay license, which password should be set?
  • Does the failure message in the z-way-server foreground indicate that the AeonLab Gen 5 zwave stick is not supported, with the ZWay library? If yes, is the UZB stick expected to work?

Thanks,
Avner

Hi @Avner,

I cannot answer this question as I am running a RazBerry Shield. AFAIK the license is included there so that I don’t have to do anything to add it manually. Perhaps you should ask the designer of ZWay, because that is a “problem” with ZWay itself.

Selecting your Zway-server thing and editing it you need to give you password of the Zway user. This mostly should be the admin user. So what user do you use to go to http://zwayserver-IP:8083/ ?

I cannot help you with the third question. But perhaps it goes away after fixing the other questions?

regards
André

@pathec I’m trying to install the ZWay library on Ubuntu 16.04. I followed the instructions in here and I have some questions (the installation instructions here are for the RaZberry, not for Ubuntu):

• Download Z-Way v2.2.3 or newer (further information about installing Z-Way you can find here)

I downloaded z-way-server-Ubuntu-v2.3.0.tgz into ~/Downloads and extracted it into the directory
/home/avner/Downloads/z-way-server
When I try to start the server with service z-way-server restart, I get the error message
Failed to restart z-way-server.service: Unit z-way-server.service not found.
I think that this is because the z-way-server is installed into a local directory. So instead, I’m executing it in the foreground

pushd /home/avner/Downloads/z-way-server
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/avner/Downloads/z-way-server/libs
set | grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/home/avner/Downloads/z-way-server/z-way-server

How do you install ZWay library such that it

• resides in /opt/z-way-server
  • is controlled via service z-way-server restart

Thanks,

@pathec or anyone else.

Shoulder dimmers from zway work with category dimmable light, which exposes both on and off and dim level?
I only get dim level to work.

Hi,

Please post your question in the Z-Way forum. I have not tried Z-Way with Ubuntu, but maybe someone can help you right away.

Patrick

Hi,

So I understand you right. In openHAB, a Thing is created with the Channel switchMultilevel. This should work the dimmer function (see image).

The on/off function I would have defined as a separate channel. Is this what you mean?

Patrick

Note: Please use the description from the openHAB master branch: here, because I’ll delete the feature branch in my forked repository.

Patrick

I have just tried the latest snapshot release, so the problem with channel linking is solved!

Hi

Created it as dimmable light as this offers both dim and on off in the same function, but only dim works

I’m following the description from the openHAB master branch. In it you point to here, which mentions

Download Z-Way v2.2.3 or newer (further information about installing Z-Way you can find here)

Can you elaborate on how to deploy the Z-Way v2.2.3 package?
If I download the file to e.g. ~/Downloads and extract it, the directory ~/Downloads/z-way-server is created.
How do you make it a service? (so that it can be started with service z-way-server restart)

Thanks

Hi,

I think you shouldn’t link a dimmer item to a channel with accepted item type number (Switch multilevel has accepted item type number). However, the UI does allow that, the binding can’t handle this, because the binding can only send state updates over the channel with a specific state type (decimal, dimmer, …). The problem is now that I have defined multilevel switches with accepted item type number and a item of type dimmer needs the state type percentage. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

A solution would be to set item type of switch multilevel channels to dimmer. But before I change that I would check that in detail.

I think I would like to have that to. Without doing further configurations using the Control-Tab in PaperUI I just can type in a number/int to set a dimmable value. I could write a rule to handle the interaction. Or am I overseeing something?

Yes, currently you can only type a number. The dimmer type would display a slider, with values from 0% to 100%.