Newbie (Drayton MyGenie) stuck on Authorisation token

tony@linuxmint:~$ inxi -F
System:
Host: linuxmint Kernel: 5.15.0-84-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.24.7 Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: STRIX Z270E GAMING v: Rev 1.xx
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1501 date: 07/13/2021
CPU:
Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-7700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache:
L2: 1024 KiB Speed (MHz): avg: 800 min/max: 800/4500 cores: 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800
4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] driver: nouveau v: kernel

Java 17
openHAB 4.03

Drayton are deleting their MyGenie app in March rendering my system unable to change any schedules from that date. I wish to create a simplified app that can interface with the miGenie gateway G104M to allow this.

I am stuck on getting an Authorisation token as in the screenshot here:-

![Screenshot_20231102_172914|690x337](upload://mXqQEFug7fy0Ys5wcPHQpEIhIte.jpeg)

The information I have been able to glean on this website is only for the replacement Wiser sytem.

Am I flogging a dead horse here? Is what I want to achieve possible?

The last time I did any programming was for my own startup tv/video service company writing a programme in Database 3 plus in 1986.

Cheers Tony.

I don’t know these systems so won’t be of much help. I don’t see any miGenie add-on so without some sort of published API information integration is unlikely.

But your screen shot didn’t come through. It looks like you accidentally posted it inside code fences.

Thanks for the reply @rlkoshak

Hope this comes out.

Tony

OK, the docs indicate that you need to install a network sniffer (e.g. Wireshark) to capture a packet from messages between the system and the app. From this you can extract the secret.

But the binding only talks about Wiser so it might be this integration isn’t possible.

In either way, it’s clearly not an officially supported integration.

Yes I did see that, but hoped someone out there had been down this path and discovered how to do it.
I naively thought it may be possible to stick a host or something on my own domain website and access it from there, to replicate the site the app accesses.

Cheers Tony.

Based on the docs, nope. You’ll have to sniff the traffic to find the secret token. And there is no guarantee that it works the same between Wiser and miGenie.

But someone obviously got something to work, given the add-on exists at all.

I can’t find anyone having attempted an integration with the Drayton MiGenie device - just a couple of people asking about it for other systems.

You’re trying to use the Drayton Wiser binding, and the Wiser (which has been around a while) appears to be the successor to this device. There’s always the possibility they use the same or similar API calls, but I wouldn’t put money on it (or why is MiGenie shutting down but not Wiser?). As Rich suggests, you could try sniffing what the app does, and how it connects to the device (e.g. it might always go through the cloud, hence why it’s shutting down, or like the Wiser it might also go direct to the device when it’s on the same network). The Wiser has a HTTP API on the device which you access when it’s in setup mode to get the API token, I’d see if the instructions here make sense for your device and give it a try?

Given the device is being phased out, you might find other people in similar situations driven to build an integration, but considering nobody has to date I guess the demand might be low. You could also ask Drayton for API docs?

Unless you make quick progress with this, I’d take Drayton’s offer of 40% off its Wiser devices (which are already well priced). I’ve had a Wiser since 2017, and integrated to openHAB since 2018, and it’s hardly missed a beat. The fact that I bought my second one when we moved house last year best shows how happy I’ve been with it.

Thank you @jamesmelville for your thoughtful reply. I am a bit cheesed off with Drayton and their cavalier attitude. I bought the MyGenie system in good faith for a premium price for my new build grandad/granny flat in 2017, when Drayton knew full well they were replacing the system with the wiser setup at that time.
I therefore have zero faith in Drayton as a company and would not buy into another system from them when they could easily do exactly the same thing. They obviously have no scruples as a company selling obsolete gear to an unsuspecting customer, hailing it as the newest sytem with all the bells and whistles.

That may be an emotional response, and I am probably cutting off my nose despite my face, but I am only human!

I will try sniffing the packets and see where that leads me, but at 73 I don’t have a lot of life left and don’t particularly want to spend days of it chasing rainbows.

Unfortunately, everything to do with home automation is a compromise and balance between cost and time.

I had a good look at what the market has to offer and looked at the Honeywell, Hive systems and Google nest. I have decided to go for the Nest system as I already have an integrated Google home with my lighting, power and home theatre. It will integrate better than the other systems with my home.
There is also a quite active discussion on the forum and Google integration so that is a good sign.
@rlkoshak, You are quite right, I think I would probably be wasting my life pursuing this objective, and I ain’t got much more of it left before I reach my dotage…the lovely Jane thinks I am well on the way there already!

Anyway you all have contributed to making that decision for me, and I humbly thank all of you for your time and effort in sorting this old fart out. Now to trawl the Nest threads…

Cheers Tony.

1 Like

I agree with you about Drayton , why would I buy wiser as they may pull the plug on that too. Mine was installed in 2017 too. I’d be interested to know what you do install.

I installed the nest learning remote, I popped it on top of the right hand speaker as a temporary measure, but it looks ok so I won’t bother to fix it to the wall as intended originally. The nest was easy to install to my combi boiler, the heat link was very easy to install and although the boiler is in my garage with three brick walls between it and my thermostat, the wireless signal is very good, no issues connecting. I can now control my thermostat with Google voice control and it is working very well, Toolstation had a Black Friday special at £129, I snapped it up immediately.