Newbie Question about Insteon Binding

Hi guys,

This is my first post so I’m sorry if this is a dumb question. I am trying to bind my insteon devices to openhab2. I am confused as to if I need a PLM for this to work. I currently only have the Insteon Hub2 2245-222. I read in the documentation that it could be done with the PLM or just the hub. I just want to make sure if I need to get a PLM to be able to bind my insteon devices. Any help with this would be a great help. Thank you!

The hub is all you need. It works with the binding I use it.

Do you have an example of how you got this set up? Sorry for the dumb questions. I am new to this. But this is exciting news that I don’t need to go buy a PLM now! Thank you for your help!

Yes I can post my files later when at laptop.

No stupid questions.

I would encourage you in the mean time have a look at the binding docs again a re-read. But here is some info to get you pointed in right direction.

1. Get the user name am done password from bottom of you hub.
  2. Get the IP address of you hub.
  3. When you install the binding you will see an insteon plm CFg file in the services directory. Put the username ip and password here in line that says for hub uncomment.

Restart openHAB and watch the logs it should say connecting with hub.

After you get this far have to start pairing the devices and setup items after.

Ok i cound the insteonplm.cfg file. I uncommented the part that says “to connect to insteon Hub2” and put in the following.

-port_0=/hub2/username:Password@myinsteonhub.IPADDRESS:25105,poll_time=1000

I don’t think thats right.

Here is the line from my file:

port_0=/hub2/userhere:passwordhere@192.168.1.187:25105,poll_time=750

Thats all it takes.

This is what items need to look like:

Dimmer Ins_Plug1 "TV Lamp  [%s %%]" (gBlackLamp,gIns_SwitchSW,gAll_LightsSW,gLiving_Room) [ "Lighting" ]  {insteonplm="35.4E.C4:F00.00.19#dimmer"}

so it looks it worked but then i get a bunch of errors saying the following.

-[nplm.internal.driver.hub.HubIOStream] - got exception while polling: java.net.UnknownHostException: myinsteonhub.IPADDRESS

Is this because i don’t have any items set up yet?

That was it. I got it working now! Thank you!

Hi,

I am another newbie trying to get my insteon bindings to work. I am getting a problem with having my Lamplinc dimmers recognized by the syste.

Here is my current content on default.items:

Dimmer lampe_salon “Lampe du salon” {insteonplm=“23.6C.F9:F00.00.19#dimmer,dimmermax=70”}
Dimmer lampe_cuisine “Lampe de la cuisine” {insteonplm=“23.6E.7D:F00.00.19#dimmer”}
Switch lampe_perron “Lampe du perron” {insteonplm=“C.1:X00.00.01#switch”}
Switch lampes_garage “Lampes du garage” {insteonplm=“C.2:X00.00.01#switch”}

And here is my current default.sitemap:

sitemap default label=“My first sitemap”
{
Dimmer item=lampe_perron label=“Lampe du perron”
Dimmer item=lampes_garage label=“Lampes du garage”
Switch item=lampe_salon label=“Lampe du salon”
Switch item=lampe_cuisine label=“Lampe de la cuisine”
}

Now when I start up openHAB I get an error report on the content of that sitemap. Here a relevant excerpt from the l;og:

2019-03-13 12:26:21.031 [INFO ] [ebuilder.internal.HomeBuilderServlet] - Started Home Builder at /homebuilder
2019-03-13 12:26:21.031 [INFO ] [panel.internal.HABPanelDashboardTile] - Started HABPanel at /habpanel
2019-03-13 12:26:22.234 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Location set to ‘45.837516799999996,-72.5803008’.
2019-03-13 12:26:28.967 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model ‘default.items’
2019-03-13 12:26:29.606 [INFO ] [thome.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007
2019-03-13 12:26:29.784 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘default.sitemap’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [3,5]: required (…)+ loop did not match anything at input ‘Dimmer’

2019-03-13 12:26:30.069 [WARN ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Execution failed (Exit value: -559038737. Caused by java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “arping” (in directory “.”): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified)
2019-03-13 12:26:30.069 [INFO ] [ternal.dhcp.DHCPPacketListenerServer] - DHCP request packet listener online
2019-03-13 12:26:30.207 [WARN ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Execution failed (Exit value: -559038737. Caused by java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “arping” (in directory “.”): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified)
2019-03-13 12:26:30.323 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started Dashboard at http://192.168.0.15:8080

Any help would be greartly appreciated.

Pierre

The items you define in the .items file as switches you are calling dimmers in your .sitemap file. Also the items you define as dimmers in .items are defines as switches in the .sitemap

Also, the .sitemap does not use “dimmer” it used “slider”, hence this warning:

2019-03-13 12:26:29.784 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘default.sitemap’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [3,5]: required (…)+ loop did not match anything at input ‘Dimmer’

https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/sitemaps.html

The remaining errors in your log look to be unrelated to the Insteon plugin and related to the net plugin not being able to find arping in your path.

Tom

Thanks a lot for the corrections, Tom! I can now see the sliders on my sitemap in the basic UI.

I am puzzled by the need to use “slider” instead of “dimmer” in the sitemap file, especially in view of the fact that I read in the documentation page “Creating a sitemap” that “ItemType and ItemName must be the same as defined in default.items”.

How can I find out more about such subtleties?

No problem. Glad it worked for you.

A slider widget can be used for any type of item that requires an input like this, examples are things like blind position, volume levels, light dim level among others. So since the widget can control many things, you name the widget for what it is, a slider control.