Newbie, trying to create a momentary switch for gate control

• Platform information:

• Hardware: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu8.27.0.7-jdk8.0.162
    • openHAB version: 2.2.0
  • Issue of the topic: Using a Vision Zwave ZL 7431 as a momentary switch to operate as a set of contact to send a closed signal to a driveway gate control unit. (Same as a garage door opener.) The switch connection works perfectly but when I added the "expire=“2s,command=Off” it does not turn the switch off after the 2 seconds. This was done to effectively make the switch a momentary activating device.

• Please post configurations (if applicable):

• Items configuration related to the issue:

Switch Switch_Side_Gate “Side Gate” { expire=“10s,command=Off”,channel=“zwave:device:1ff970ba:node3:switch_binary”,autoupdate=“false” }

I had found where a gentleman had used this exactly to control a gate and two garage doors.
I tried 1s, 2s and 10s entries. I am wondering it that expire statement was effective in a previous OpenHAB version and that I may now need to use a rule to accomplish the desire momentary switch function.

Any hints or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Hello -

I did exactly what you are trying to do…you can see my write-up of what I used and my code below:

https://community.openhab.org/t/less-than-2-hours-less-than-200-00-2-garage-doors-and-1-gate-automated-plus-one-very-happy-family-who-can-use-alexa-to-operate/

It sounds like you may have seen my post, the EXPIRE should be 1s.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE EXPIRE BINDING INSTALLED…IT’S REQUIRED TO MAKE THAT COMMAND WORK!

Hello KidSquid

I bet it was your right up since i think that you used the Aeotec switch relays, I believe.

I totally missed the "must load the EXPIRE BINDING. My bad.

I have learned that you have to be very careful when following the instructions. I have solve three install issues because I was not careful in following exactly what and when to do something.

I will try loading the “expire” binding. I will post my success or failure.
Thanks.