No java audio at all from openhab

• Platform information:
  • Hardware: x86
  • Java Runtime Environment: zulu-8/oracle-java-8
  • openHAB version: 2.2.0
  • Issue of the topic: can’t get any java audio from openhab

I’m trying to get openhab to play audio or do TTS (using MaryTTS) for a few days now, but I can’t get any audio from it (apart from webaudio).

Initally I installed openhab with oracle-java-8 on my Ubuntu server and had no openhab audio. I played with the sound.properties file in the /usr/lib/jvm/… sub folder, but I couldn’t fix it with the settings for icedtea sound or sun media. I’ve installed libpulse-java and libpulse-jni as well and I’m now using the zulu-8 jre.

Yesterday I managed to play a wav file with a small java application on the command line and while playing, it appeared as using the [ALSA plugin] in pavucontrol (pulseaudio mixer gui). Openhab still is completely silent. When I play the doorbell file from the openhab-cli or use the say command it looks like it’s doing something (small delay before the prompt comes back), but I still don’t hear anything and there’s nothing in the logs (openhab and event log).

Any help or hint is much appreciated!

Cheers, Alex

I am also trying to get sound from standard java sinks using pulseaudio without success so far.
My experience is the same like yours: simple java program plays audio file, but nothing from openHAB CLI.

I’ve also tried to configure pulseaudio server to play over network and used pulse audio binding, but unfortunately the binding is not able to connect to the server. I found such message in AP logs:

Received SHM frame on a socket where SHM is disabled.

Does anybody successfully run audio with pulsaudio either using standard java sinks or PulseAudio binding?

1 Like