No oficial Tuya binding? Cmon…

I’m a bit flabbergasted at this one.
How come there’s no oficial tuya binding and we have to install an alternative market? I just installed the smartlife / tuya app (was looking for a smart portable ac) and I’m astonished at the amount of stuff there. I mean, nevermind everything else, install the app, and slide through the devices they have to configure. Bloody hell I feel like I’ve been missing out.
Guys we need to get in on this.

Who do I have to annoy to get an oficial binding?
It’s the perfect time too, 3 weeks before the last milestone :smiley:

Yep ,I believe that would help, smarthome/j’s binding is working for me, I’m wondering what’s keeping it from being an official binding.

1 Like

Well, official bindings don’t just happen. Someone needs:

1. to develop it
  2. submit it as a PR to the openhab-addons repo
  3. have it reviewed and then merged.

Step 2 never happened. So unless and until someone submits it as a PR it can’t become an official add-on.

Who do you have to annoy? The original author of the add-on. We don’t go out and assimilate add-ons like the Borg. Developers have to volunteer their add-ons by submitting a PR.

I think most people here using Tuya flash the firmware to Tasmota, but I don’t think all Tuya devices can be flashed.

1 Like

Oh I understand openHABs position. You’d seem pretty aggressive if you did, so I can appreciate that overall things are quite stable.
But for sure I’ll contact the dev and see what can be arranged.

And yes you are right, the old tuya devices were easily flashed, but the new ones aren’t working that way, hence the problem.

Thank you for the context!

Tagging in @J-N-K, who owns that GitHub repository.

1 Like

For a little more context, “old” Tuya devices that used ESP32 chips were patched by Tuya to prevent over-the-air flashing with Tuya-convert, but in many cases you could still get Tasmota onto them via USB. It was just a lot more work.

Tuya then started using non-ESP32 chips that are not compatible with Tasmota. I haven’t been paying attention, so I don’t know if that’s still happening. Either way, they closed the door on Tasmota.

I have a few Tuyas, but I’ve found that TP-Link Kasa devices are roughly the same price (sometimes cheaper) and work well for me, with good support in openHAB.

Wow. Thank you!

Thank you for the added explanation, my understanding was the same but I wasn’t sure if I was correct.
The difference between tuya and kasa is twofold:
Number of people using tuya is waayyyyy bigger.
Number of devices available in tuya is wayyyyy bigger.

I figure that getting tuya in will positively affect the user interest metrics.

So…what’s your point? Unless I missed an announcement that openHAB is now focused on market share, this isn’t a numbers game. It’s a hobby.

What metrics?

I don’t know why you’d think that having a Tuya binding will lead to a sudden uptake in openHAB. Most Tuya users are fine with what they’ve got, and aren’t interested in playing around with complex home automation or Linux on a Raspberry Pi. They just want some light switches that they can schedule, and plugs they can control with a voice assistant of their choosing. That includes my dad, a retired engineer.

Tuya/Tasmota users have had openHAB available to them for years. Same for Kasa, Wemo, and various other products that work with openHAB either directly or indirectly. I’m just guessing, but I’d say that most of them aren’t hanging around here.

The reality is that complex home automation is a niche market, requiring more effort than most people are willing and able to put into it. That’s fine. It’s still a relatively new thing. Matter is a step in the right direction, but openHAB-level home automation isn’t going to take off until something makes it really, really easy for an average consumer to set up extensive rules/routines.

As it is now, openHAB’s not going to be that something (and neither is Home Assistant). It’s a lot of work for relatively little payoff…which makes it a great hobby for people like me, but less so for my dad. He’d rather play golf and squash.

2 Likes

Appart from some discussions/issues in the past, no dev is forced to contribute their new bindings to the official openHAB-addons repository.
Especially, whet it cannot be licesed under EPL2.0 (e.g. containing closed source code), it needs to be published other ways.
Therefore we introduced the third party marketplace, where those devs can publish their bindings and make it easier for users to use them.
There is absolutely nothing to complain about.

3 Likes