No persistence, most of the things lost after update to 3.3

I updated from OH 3.2 to openHAB 3.3.0 Release Build using apt upgrade on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS.
After the update

• no data is written to influxdb 1.6.4
  • no data is written thru jdbc to mysql 8.0.29
  • ZWave things are gone
  • AVM FRITZ! things are gone
  • GROHE ONDUS things are gone
  • Rules (Rule DSL) do not fire
  • No errors are shown in openhab.log

I used openhab-cli clean-cache and restartd openhab and the linux machine several times.
openhab-cli console shows all bundles as “Active”.

I am with OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.56+19-CA (build 11.0.15+10-LTS)

KNX Binding and homekit are working flawlessly.

Any idea what to do?
With no errors in the openhab.log it is difficult to pick up a track.

Hi,

had also a lot of trouble when I upgraded from 3.2 to 3.3…

After startup, 100% cpu load, log was full with java exceptions, used also clean-cache etc.

I removed all the things, items, rules etc. (I’m just using the txt config, which is great from my point of view) and “initialised” them one by one…

Also I needed to reinstall some bindings, or e.g. basic UI.

A lot of rules have syntax errors (e.g. send notification), but i just commented everything and hadn’t a look till now, if changes have been “desired” or if I need to reinstall some other bindings.

At least one hint is in your reply: The configuration I did thru text files (KNX-and homekit text files for things, items, sitemaps a generated automatically from the ETS-export) is still working.

Unfortunately really nothing strange in the logs. No track or hint to follow.
It appears that a basic trigger mechanism does not work. So no persistences (neither mysql nor influxdb although the connections are established successfully) and no rule fires.

Take a smaller bite. Show us one simple rule that doesn’t fire. Show us the event in your events.log that you expected to trigger ir, etc.

No prob.

events.log

2022-07-21 19:21:15.217 [TRACE] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Received event of type 'ItemCommandEvent' under the topic 'openhab/items/SentoKNX_Dimmer/command' with payload: '{"type":"OnOff","value":"OFF"}'
2022-07-21 19:21:15.239 [TRACE] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Received event of type 'ItemStatePredictedEvent' under the topic 'openhab/items/SentoKNX_Dimmer/statepredicted' with payload: '{"predictedType":"OnOff","predictedValue":"OFF","isConfirmation":false}'
2022-07-21 19:21:15.272 [TRACE] [openhab.event.ItemStateEvent        ] - Received event of type 'ItemStateEvent' under the topic 'openhab/items/SentoKNX_Dimmer/state' with payload: '{"type":"OnOff","value":"OFF"}'
2022-07-21 19:21:15.289 [TRACE] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Received event of type 'ItemStateChangedEvent' under the topic 'openhab/items/SentoKNX_Dimmer/statechanged' with payload: '{"type":"Percent","value":"0","oldType":"Percent","oldValue":"100"}'

rule

rule "KNX2SentoOpenHAB_dimmer-control_1614_cmd"
when
    Item SentoKNX_Dimmer received command
then
    logInfo("knx2sento_1615_rules", "KNX2SentoOpenHAB_dimmer-control_1614_cmd: The item " + triggeringItemName + " received command '" + receivedCommand + "'")
end

openhab.log

2022-07-21 19:21:15.214 [DEBUG] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - onGroupWrite Thing 'knx:device:mybridge1:virtual4sento' received a GroupValueWrite telegram from '1.1.13' for destination '15/1/10'

2022-07-21 19:21:15.305 [DEBUG] [nx.internal.client.AbstractKNXClient] - Wrote value 'OFF' to datapoint 'command DP 15/1/10 'knx:ip:mybridge1', DPT 1.001, low priority' (0. attempt).

The expected LogInfo does not show up.

To trigger this rule, you would want a command event on that Item. No sign of that in the logs shown so far - it would be plainly logged in your events.log. The trace shows you something tried to command it, but not that it succeeded.

It’s nit-picking, but there is a chain of events, you must look along the chain, not only examine the ends.

Thanks for your effort!
Did that behavior change from OH 3.2 to OH 3.3?

BTW: I added another three lines from the events.log. Maybe they are important too.

I downgraded with
sudo apt install openhab=3.2.0-1

Everything is back:

• Persistence with influxdb and jdbc for mysql
  • All 36 things instead of only 20 with 3.3
  • Rules are firing

I am going to install OH 3.3 on another machine in order to investigate the issues.
Every hint is still appreciated!

I think it helps. I’m not really familiar with TRACE level logging in that area, but it looks the command is working fine. We can see it triggering autoupdate’s “prediction” activity (otherwise there would be no effect on Item state).

So if the command is working and triggering stuff, the rule is not. In this situation I’d be suspicious that the rule even got loaded. I’m guessing from xxx.rules file, and should generate a “loaded” record in your openhab.log
Taking with your other effects, I’d guess a filestore issue on your upgrade - permissions, location, ??

With your working downgrade, have a look at boot time openhab.log for familiarity.
If you see your problem again, look for what is simply missing, rather than errors.

I’ll bet it’s fine on a fresh install, and is some consequence of your particular upgrade history.