No route to openHAB Cloud

Hello together,

I’m having trouble connecting my openHAB instance with a openHAB cloud. First of all, a description of my setup:
I’m running openHAB in a docker container on a server at home. The openHAB UI is reachable at the normal <local-IP>:8080. Since the server runs different services on different ports, I also have a reverse proxy forwarding openhab.<my-domain> to this port, but only from within the local network. For remote access, I want to connect the openHAB instance to an openHAB Cloud, either on myopenhab or self hosted, doesn’t matter for now.

Now to the problem: If I configure the openHAB Cloud Connector Service (either for myopenhab or a self hosted cloud), I see the following message in the openHAB logs and the status in the cloud switches to online.

Cloud Connected Log Message
14:21:46.167 [INFO ] [.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Connected to the openHAB Cloud service (UUID = <UUID>, base URL = http://localhost:8080)

Seems good so far. But when I try to go to the dashboard in the openHAB Cloud, I get a plain HTML page with the following message:

openHAB connection error: No route to host

The openHAB log shows the following three warnings:

No Route Warnings
14:21:58.650 [WARN ] [.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Jetty request 10 failed: No route to host
14:21:58.652 [WARN ] [.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Request Failure: No route to host
14:21:58.652 [WARN ] [.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Response Failure: No route to host

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your help.

No, because you did not give us any details on how you set up the reverse proxy. Usually when one sets up a reverse proxy it makes openHAB inaccessible on port 8080 outside of the server.
You will likely need to packet capture or turn on debug logging to see where OH cannot reach.

1 Like

I tried to convey the information that the openHAB instance is still reachable on port 8080 without going through the proxy.
To make shure, I just tried to disable the openHAB related part of the proxy altogether (so that I need to access openHAB on <local-IP>:8080) and I get the same results: No route to host.

That just says you can get to the server, nt that the server can get out to the Internet on whatever port the cloud uses.

My first suggestion would be to try your setup with not security then start to lock down. If it works with no security then you know one of the security policies is breaking the setup vs general routing.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your suggestions, after some tinkering, I finally figured out what my problem was:

The Cloud Connector tried to connect to the OpenHAB instance over the wrong network interface for some reason. I had defined the IP Address for OpenHAB through a environment variable for the docker container and this seems to have forced something wrong in the Cloud Connector Extension. Now that I removed that environment variable, everything works as expected.

1 Like