Node-red not receiving item updates

I seem to be running into an issue where node-red does not receive item updates.

I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTSB on my PC and Openhab 2.4.0 Release Build installed. I installed node red (version 0.20.2) and node.js (version 8.15.1) as well as the Openhab2 node library (node-red-contrib-openhab2) and the hue node library.

I created a simple flow:

I set up the variable:

I set up the hue scene to be triggered:

So the openhab flow can retrieve the tags in my system just fine. When I deploy though I get a “?” where the state should be listed. I can’t get the state to be read by the flow. Has anyone run into this before?

I got a log of help reading through this post:

I’m just stuck at this point. There are no debug messages coming out so I’m hoping someone else may have a thought.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi, that just means that your item is not yet set to a decent value. So my guess is, that your item is whether not yet set to On or Off or the type is wrong. Please show your item definition

So I worked on this a little bit more and I looked at what you said. But it seemed odd to me that I’ve had rules using the item for a very long time now and they’ve been working fine.

The item definition is:
Switch NightScene “Night Scene” [“Switchable”]

So I decided to make sure everything was set up correctly from the install point of view so I uninstalled node-red with the purge option, uninstalled node-js and removed all directories. I did a full re-install using node-js v10, a new install of node-red and node-red-admin and now everything is working.

I don’t know if it was the fact that I was using Node-js v8 or if something didn’t install correctly but that combination seems to work.

Thanks for chiming in!