Non Responsive z wave Network After updating to OH 2.5.4-1 and Z Wave binding 2.5.4

After updating OH from 2.4 to 2.5 and updating the Z wave binding to 2.5.4 my z wave network has become slow, and at times stopped working all together. I have an Aeotek Z-stick gen 5 and if I perform a soft reset my network will start working for a little bit, but then stop and freeze from a long time 15 mins or more. The lights on the z-stick will stop flashing as well, and freeze on one color. I have also noticed that the Openhab system keeps rebooting on its own at random times throughout the day as well. I have tried removing all of my things including the z-stick, uninstalling the z-wave binding, then reinstalling the binding and adding back in all of my network nodes one by one. I still get the same problem. My network was stable before the update, and there are no errors in Openhab Log Viewer. I have read other posts on this same problem and can’t seem to make anything work for me. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

What do the OpenHAB logs show?

Did you follow then zwave binding instructions and gather debug logs?

Did You read the 2.5 Release Notes first to note and resolve any breaking changes?

I did the whole update/upgrade using ‘Openhabian-config’ helper. What release documents? What z wave debug? I’ve never used the z wave debug and I don’t know how or where to access that. Sorry I’m kinda noob at this, I’ve been tinkering around for a couple years, but I get loss quickly. Like I said everything has been running great for over a year until now.

It is not hidden. Here is the most obvious way.

Go to the OpenHAB web site. On the main page notice the announcement for 2.5 and click the blog post button. There is a link to the GitHub release notes in that post.

The binding documentation does discuss the log and how to enable debug logging and the general OH documentation also provides information on logging and the command line console in general.

Also ccheck the release notes to verify you have no invalid addons or other issues too.

Ok I think Iam finally getting somewhere. Thank you for your patience working with me. The system is working now, but every now and then it looks like the controller gets stuck trying to communicate with one of my dimmer switches and I get a lot of failures on node 2.

I also have another dimmer switch Node 52 that was working fine, but now it does not recognize any commands sent to it from the controller. The system will recognize when I manually turn the switch on, and send its status back to the controller. I am not sure if any of this is related to my slow response/lockup issues I have every now and then.

I experienced similar problems. In fact, I have experienced similar problems on every openHAB upgrade since the move to 2.5.

I ultimately moved to a new Z-Stick, but this didn’t resolve my problem either. Make sure your network has no dead nodes and all of that. Once you have a clean, well routing network, the issue can still occur (it does for me). To resolve I have to shut down OH2, remove the Z-Stick from USB, wait a good 10 seconds, re-insert the USB, then start OH2 again. This usually fixes it. If it doesn’t, I can sometimes just remove the Z-Wave binding, remove the USB stick, wait, and reinsert it, and then re-install the binding, and the issue resolves. Sometimes I have to do this 2-3 times before I get it working. Once it is working it’ll stay working without any issue until the next OH2 upgrade/restart/system reboot, at which point I likely have to fiddle with it again.

As I’ve had this problem across multiple controllers of differing brands, I’ve chalked this issue up to my physical hardware, my Ubuntu installation, or a binding bug.

Ok I have tried restarting my system and z stick 10 times. Everything seemed to be working great yesterday, and then for no reason it just stopped working this morning. I have tried restarting everything twice and the z stick just seems to freeze and I have no control over the z wave network.

I should mention that if I send a command to a switch this morning it takes roughly 5 minutes to execute. The system seems to be rebooting on its own multiple times (10 or more) throughout the day.

Getting a lot of this in the logs:

2020-04-29 10:51:42.681 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Polling…

2020-04-29 10:51:42.683 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Polling zwave:device:158d782d:node2:switch_dimmer

2020-04-29 10:51:42.686 [DEBUG] [erter.ZWaveMultiLevelSwitchConverter] - NODE 2: Generating poll message for COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL, endpoint 0

2020-04-29 10:51:42.688 [DEBUG] [ss.ZWaveMultiLevelSwitchCommandClass] - NODE 2: Creating new message for command SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_GET

2020-04-29 10:51:42.691 [DEBUG] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 2: SECURITY not supported

2020-04-29 10:51:42.693 [DEBUG] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 2: Command Class COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL is NOT required to be secured

2020-04-29 10:51:42.704 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Polling skipped for zwave:device:158d782d:node2:switch_dimmer on COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC

I’d focus on this problem. In my experience a cold boot of OH2 saturates the Z-Wave network for a brief period on boot. If this is happening 10 times per day, I could see the Z-Wave network slowing to a stop. I am in no way an expert, this is simply based on my experience. How large is your Z-Wave network? I experienced severe performance problems past about 35 nodes in my Z-Wave network when using an RPi and had to move to a higher performance server. This solved a large number of my problems at the time which were apparently (I am guessing) occurring due to concurrency or delayed processing of events.

1 Like

this is a problem, look at this thread for clues

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.