Not able to change codes on Yale lock (YRD446)

Fair enough! The development version has Security enable from what I’ve read.

Security is now in the snapshot version. Latest available can be downloaded from here… https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB2-Bundles/lastSuccessfulBuild/org.openhab.binding$org.openhab.binding.zwave/

1 Like

I tried the latest version and it deleted a few of the codes from my lock. Some of them remained, but I decided to wipe all the codes and manually put them all back anyway.

So it still does not work properly and not even close to reliable enough to be usable.

Odd. Did you make Chris Jackson aware? @chris as I believe there are other users using your lock just fine.

I haven’t done anything other than try the Z-Wave modules as they get released.

I haven’t tested it recently, but user codes have been working fine with a BE469 though Habmin or the REST API. The only trick I recall was that they had to be added/removed in order. If you add one with a gap in the slots betwen it and the previous one, or remove one from the middle, the codes got corrupted. Does this sound like the problem you are experiencing?

It could be. I really don’t remember. I usually just try to add or remove a code. If I have to remember to do it in some kind of order, then it isn’t really worth it to me to have the ability to do it that way anyway.

Can you provide a log showing this - it should be completely independent (although it’s been a year or two since I looked at that code!).

It may be a couple days, but I’ll get you one. I’m also curious what happens to the codes when one is removed manually from the lock… do they shift slots, are there gaps, etc.

BTW, I sent you another log for that open ticket.

I wouldn’t have expected them to change - it should just get marked as free. If they are changing, then that could cause problems, but I would be very surprised as it would screw up a lot of systems I think. The code ID is used to identify users in some cases - if all the IDs changed when one person was removed, it would be a mess.

Yep - I say that and will take a look when I get a chance. I had/have some ZigBee stuff that I needed to get out over the weekend and I hope I can finish that tonight.

1 Like

I am pretty darn sure that is the way it is supposed to be, and you are supposed to use labels of some kind that keep track of the slot numbers for you to actually track what slot is using what code. From the sounds of it, I imagine the lock code management needs a significant upgrade to allow for this kind of functionality. I think that is exactly how most other lock managers are handling the codes for this kind of lock. I know for sure that is how SmartThings does it.

The problem is that there is no such concept in OH, so it doesn’t need an upgrade - it needs defining from scratch. Th binding provides the means to set the codes, but we then have to shoehorn the interface into the existing UI which is a bit of a mess.

If setting the codes doesn’t work, then I’ll take a look if you provide the logs etc - it certainly used to a year or two back, but I’ve not tested it myself for a long time.

1 Like

You sure about that? I started with openhab about a year or two ago and had this lock at that time. I have never been able to get it to work with user codes correctly. I started with the z-wave 2.3.0 module and then tested 2.4.0 and now the 2.5.0 that still do not work. Maybe it was working with 2.2.0 but I would not know.

Absolutely 100% sure.

I still don’t know what your problem actually is? Can you provide logs showing the problem, and a description of what you think it happening?

2.2 didn’t have security.

I don’t have logs, but everything else for the lock it working other than changing settings in it.

When I try to add or remove a code then most if not all of the codes get removed. It may be that I need to add and remove the codes one at a time in order of last to first like someone else suggested, but I have not tried that yet.

I will give that a try some day, but I really don’t like having to manually add codes back to my lock once they have been corrupted.

Please try and get a debug log showing the issue - otherwise it’s hard for me to help you. Sorry.

It would be really great if an actual lock code manager was added to openhab. I mean I know someone would have to donate their time to make something like that, but I think it would be a very nice thing to have. :slight_smile:

So there is no way to add code to a lock without physically doing so on the lock itself?

That kinda seems like a glaring fault. If you had some kinda AirBNB place and want to create new codes for guests youd need to go there each time to do so?

Is code management into the lock a function of the binding? Sorry trying to udnerstand as I want to purchase one but want to make sure it will do what i need.

It is supposed to work. It just doesn’t seem to be working very well. I have not tested it yet but I think it may have a finicky requirement for the way the codes are added and removed. Until I actually test this at some point I don’t really know for sure.

If you are running some air bnb, I would strongly recommend a SmartThings hub with the SmartThings Classic app for code management. And this coming from someone who absolutely hates SmartThings.

You can set codes through HABmin. This has been in the codebase for a couple of years.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have such an issue. I just tested it, and it looks ok, and looking at the code, it simply takes the user code ID, and sets this code. It seems to work here so please provide debug a log showing your problem so I can understand what is happening with your system.

1 Like