Odroid c4 released anyone using?

They are reply to your “huh?” :slight_smile: It is about Dietpi scripts, but I guess you must edited text at the same time I answered which is why quoted text doesn’t exist … Whatever. We are going off topic. It’s just a warning that you need to check the code, since I am not sure anyone did it. Next warning is that code calls home. If you are fine with both, simply ignore. Cheers.

2 Likes

Ahh okay… Thanks for letting me know… I wasn´t aware.

Just because no one has read the lines of code does not mean there is evil intention in the code. The same with calling home. Since you have purchased one I would have thought you would want the company to survive and sell more so you get updates long into the future? I look forward to hearing how your new C4 works with Openhab as they have released the XU4 that has had issues running java and hence Openhab in the past. Details on that are in this forum with solutions to fix.

In most cases its not about that, but about quality, security, attitude, …

It is better that we are not dependent solo on a company support as soon as possible. Armbian runs without any special Hardkernel code but chip maker, Amlogic, sadly doesn’t provide sources for 1st stage boot loader which means they will always have a window for manipulation and to hide certain hardware parameters from us. This can only be a symbolic issue, but Amlogic actually manipulated those values in the past. Trying to make more money and make fool out of us.

Besides boot loader, things are open source - Armbian is based on mainline kernel source + a bundle of patches. Some will become mainline, some not.

I don’t expect that C4 is application deployment ready at this stage. There is at least one problem/bug - I heard about - network sometimes / always fail to show up at reboot. Power cycle helps. While speaking, it might already be solved … perhaps this is only present at 5.4.y Will see once I get my hands on.

How can Java version be in a relation with a hardware platform? Where is the problem? Can be replicated on latest Armbian + official OpenHab install?

Is there any stress test script to test Openhab extensively? I guess installing them on the device is not good test. Or is it?

Received C4 with 8GB eMMC this morning.

OpenHab running butter smooth while C4 doesn’t even sweat. Max. temp 41° with open box/as on picture at full OH load (initial setup).

1. Armbian Focal https://dl.armbian.com/odroidc4/Focal_current
  2. Official OpenHab install on Armbian

4 Likes

The JVM would crash when the Java process moved from the big to the little cores, see:

1 Like

Please keep us updated!

FYI pining Java to the big cores does the trick.

But if you’re going to do that, you might as well use the C1 (32 bit 4 core) or C2 (64 bit 4 core) machines.

Exactly as @wborn states.

Fabulous news.

Thanks for posting that.

Do you intend to stress test the C4 or are you simply ‘happy that it’s running well’ (which is where I would stop). :smile:

A workaround exits, that is good enough. We should try modern kernel, but it has other troubles … Not sure if its worth dealing with XU4 despite its still a nice board.

Thomas did proper scientific stress tests few days ago - you can see numbers, compared to others. This test was done with a stock 4.9.y kernel which (at this point) gives slightly better results than mainline based kernels - which I am only interested in. That’s what we are seeking explanations for at this moment.

“running properly” … if you reboot a device few times you can end up without a network. This bug was only detected on LTS 5.4.y kernel and that’s I am trying to fix … I want that basic stuff works properly on all variants.

1 Like
  • fixed networking init on both kernels
  • reset boot cycle problems are present only when using SD card (probably present only on UHS and will also be fixed soon)
2 Likes

If you are the one fixing the issues in the newer kernel I have to say thanks very much. The newer kernel has wireguard support built in and if I am correct, the odroid c4 has hardware acceleration built in that will save cpu power when doing VPN tasks which I am keen on looking at when I have time and the software support is done.

Regarding C4 I am responsible for a few fixes, which is still a few days of work, thanks. While the rest, majority, is a work of other people - Amlogic is hiring pros to do this work. Regarding the Wireguard … I did integration to all Armbian kernels about 1-2 years ago, but for to the rest of the world, WG came with Ubuntu 20/K5.4. Most of the single board computers has crypto hardware acceleration for many years (check numbers), only Raspberry Pi does not have it.

4 Likes

Nice work @igorp! I just got my C4, used the link above to download Armbian (using eMMC 32G) and OH installed in less than 5 min. :smiley:

2 Likes

Very nice spec. I am in similar board with Kim Anderson; too many Pis already. At this point, it is just easier to maintain the same kind of boards; less headache. But definitely for some one that hasn’t invested heavily into a platform, this is the one to try out.

I’ve used only RPI’s till now and I must admit the Odroid C4 is very nice. I’m planning to move my production server to it and will post if there are any issues or major differences. Also plan to add grafana since I have more memory and see how well it preforms.

For now the only negative (if you want to call it a negative) is the heat compared to the RPI as the Odroid seem to run a bit warmer. Guess that’s the trade off for more memory and such.

Compared to Rpi4 or Rpi3? Rpi4 seems to have higher temp readings on tests: Rpi 4 http://ix.io/271V vs. Odroid C4 http://ix.io/2kaS … but those values are anyway difficult to compare properly.

Rpi3, I chose the Odroid over the Rpi4 as upgrade.

Do you have any thoughts about adding a fan or not using the case? I normally do not leave the top cover on my Rpi3 to help with heat but the Odroid case is a bit different.

You don’t need a fan with this board.

Good to know, I will keep an eye on the temp as I start adding more load and see what it levels out to be.

Just getting started and plan to add openhabian-config tool then move everything one device at a time. Though about doing a backup/restore but I kinda want to have everything as clean as possible…lots of playing on the Rpi. :upside_down_face:

Also, any thoughts on using Docker for OH with the Odroid?