Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

Sometimes it is “offline” or extremly delayed which is not shown on http://status.openhab.org/
Most of the time I check manually if I can reach my dashboard over myopenhab.

It is good that there is a status dashboard.
It would be useful if it was mentioned on the myopenhab login screen or even in the accounts once you logged in.

The fact is even if I ignore that there may be occasions that we experience poor response and it is not logged as an issue to the dashboard (as indicated by Rickecho), according to the dashboard it shows the extent of the unreliability with most days having an issue.

I think OpenHAB is awesome.
there are still areas for improvement and then there are some areas that need a shake up, it used to be documentation, now in my opinion it is myopenhab it really cannot be used as a reliable way to reach the local server instances.

I am unable to use myopenhab while it is so flaky, if we had a dashboard with some historic information not just a week or so then I could look at returning once improvements are made as it is currently I will never know if its improved.

Regards

Paul

for me, as i have to deal with server availability on a daily base, the main question is what are the actual root causes that myopenhab is not available/working stable. is it that the server is just not capable of handling the load, software related issues, maintenance …

maybe if we would know the root cause, people from the community could help as well, just my thoughts.
as already written by @idkpmiller openHAB is an awesome platform and if we can even make myopenhab more reliable, great.

regards
Matt

I totally agree with that but we have to keep in mind that openhab is freeware and the idea of the cloud service was more kind of a demo/reference in the first place. And yes, I also think to spread openhab and make it morre successfull it would be usefull if the cloud service would work.

The problem was discussed here and a few posts above. In the linked thread Kai even mentioned:

So yes, I know, I am complaining as well but this wont help. We need people coding and improving. The problem is not new.

I just used the explanation on github here

It’s pretty straightforward and the tagging is similar to the Alexa skill so you should be able to swap later if things improve.
You can’t do temperature with the Hue emulation binding though but that’s never been a problem for me as I believe actual temperature and hence temperature control is something the home automation system needs to know for feedback and not me personally.

@Toddah

please see here:

Link

Why nobody deploeyed a new version of Amazon to fix the [“Lighting”] bug https://github.com/openhab/openhab-alexa/pull/52

I am n ot sure coding is the only think that neds to happen here, I am also
interested in the architecture side of this issue.

It seems that the cloud service has evolved from its original intent and
needs a solid rethink.
some optimal code never goes amiss but is really a band-aid.

Do we know what tasks that it now performs that are in addition to what was
intended (I guess the Alexa traffic is one), and to what percentage of the
load they drive?
Is there a need to split the functionality?

There are a lot of talented people involved in Openhab, I myself do not
code in Java but I am a solution architect (carrier) and will willingly
provide my expertise and time to the community if it rewards me with stable
services, I see it as a win-win; I am sure many on here feel the same.

Can some perform an initial assessment so we can all understand what needs
to be done?

Regards

Paul

Thanks Tom.
I have gone done the Hue Emulation ath to stabilise the experience.

I walked straight into the temperature issue too which is weird as there
are posts that say it was working, but I too found those tagged devices
were not discovered by Alexa.

Thanks for your thoughts
Paul

I’m trying to get my Alexa devices talking to OH2 to start controlling lights and other items. I have removed my Philips Hue and other Skills as well in hoping to avoid any conflicts.

I see the devices listed in the Alexa App, and I added [ Lighting ] to a few of my items. But Alexa keeps telling me the device is not responding each time.

I do see the skill enabled in myopenhab as well. Did I miss a step?

The tag you need to add for the item to be diwscoverable is [ "Lighting "]
NOT [ Lighting ]
Then once the item file has been refreshed in OH ask Alexa to ‘discover
devices’ she should inform you she has fgound additional x number of
devices.

Then you can try switching them on/off etc.

Regards

Paul

If have OpenHAB2 setup to get my alarm status and to be able to arm/disarm the alarm using MQTT. That all works fine. I would like to be able to ask Alexa “Alexa, what is the alarm status”. and get back either armed or disarmed. Its just a string that MQTT returns back armed or disarmed. I see no compatible tag type that I could use. Is there something that can be done or maybe a feature request.

This should be possible with the new v3 Alexa API.

it seems sometimes openhab2 is too slow for alexa - “… reagiert nicht” (does not response) is the reaction nearly 50% of all the time. Then it works like a charm for some time until it does not work again…

Hello,
the same problem here at the last days with alexa - “… reagiert nicht”…
Now ich have installed the Hue Emulation and it works fine for me at home…

I did not, I am still working on it.

I decided I had corrupted my install of openhab 2 enough so I re imaged my SD card and started over. I went through the whole setup again a couple of times just to cement it into my brain.
I have openhab 2 up and running and I have 3 Zwave lights and My Onkyo AVR under openhab control.
I have decided to try HUE emulation with Alexa and forget about the openhab cloud services for right now.
I am in the same spot where all the instructions I find direct me to add [switchable] tags to my home.items content but my Items file is empty.
Question:
I read that in the OH2 Paper UI there are no entries made in the config files that it is all done in an internal database. If I understand this correctly Items in the HOME.ITEMS and other configuration files are read into the database on Startup. Is that correct?
Question:
If I already have created items in the paper UI do I need to delete all the things/items I want to control with HUE Emulation and Alexa and create a
Home.Items file that will get read into the internal database upon startup? I am not quite sure how these correlate or interact with each other.
Thank You in advance for any advice you can offer.

Are you adding [switchable] or [“Switchable”] ?

Is there any chance that support for Canada will be added soon? We just got the Echo devices here officially but skills have to manually add support for Canadian English (It’s all the added 'Eh’s and 'Aboot’s)

1 Like

I̶ ̶k̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶5̶0̶4̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶p̶o̶n̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶h̶o̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶y̶o̶p̶e̶n̶H̶A̶B̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶(̶i̶.̶e̶.̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶)̶.̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶h̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶t̶w̶o̶r̶k̶?̶

NVM, I was trying to change settings in REST API remotely using myopenHAB, you most port into the device on the local network.