Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

Not sure to understand your question. Are you asking if the semantic extensions support will cover the mode controller? If so, yes it will cover mode, range and toggle controllers.

1 Like

I’ve just tried to say “alexa chiudi la tapparella del soggiorno” or “alexa close the living room blind” but alexa said the this function is not available

nobody has news?
nobody use new semantic extensions and can show me his alexa app?

Daniele, I think this feature is not implemented yet.

Jeshab’s example is a spoiler of a next implementation

1 Like

Hello, now my alexa understand close and open roller shutters but the behavior is inverted.
I have not modify my items’s configuration with new semantic: I will wait for new implementations.

1 Like

So do You suggest me to upgrade to 2.5? Oooook
IS it easy?
I’m working on a synology Nas…

These latest enhancements work from OH 2.3 which introduces metadata configuration.

I don’t understand you: You write me that new enhancements are on oh 2.5 and now you write me that is introduced from 2.3…

I meant along side the OH 2.5 release announcement.

Hello!

I have a question regarding Alexa Smart Home Skill. Namely, does it support querying state of the device? I’ve upgraded OH to #1778, changed my items, so they use metadata instead of tags (to comply with v3.0 skill), removed device from Alexa app and recreated it, but when I ask for the state of my device (light for example) Echo replies that “That’s not supported yet”. Am I doing something wrong, or querying state of the device is not supported with this version of the skill?

Best regards,
Davor

This is normal. Only the state of specific capabilities can be requested by voice. This is a limitation on the Alexa side. The response you are getting implies that restriction. However, even though you can’t get the current state by voice, you should still be able to get that information using the Alexa app.

Is there a list of these that can be requested by voice available somewhere?

thanks

To my knowledge, there is unfortunately no official list of supported commands provided by Amazon. You can google to find some of the most used examples that have been compiled by well known tech websites. You could also browse through the Alexa Smart Home Skill API documentation and look for utterance examples. Last, there is a voice examples section in the usage documentation that could use some user contributions :+1: Other than that, it’s mostly trial and error.

you should update to openhab 2.5. than you have to modify your configuration. I’m posting an example of my roller tag (tested just now). My shutter is open when is set to 0% and is closed when is set to 100%, so I had to invert the documentation’s example:
Documentation example:

{alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=0,Open=100,Lower=(-10),Raise=(+10)", stateMappings="Closed=0,Open=1:100"]}

My configuration:

{alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=1,Open=0:100"]}
2 Likes

Certainly a good recommendation but not required based on what I mentioned above :smile:

Your action mappings look good but not your state ones. You are defining closed state as 1% and open state as a range from 0% to 100%. Obviously there is a conflit here although since it’s not really used on the Alexa side as of yet, it doesn’t affect your interaction. Anyway, here is how I would update your item definition:

{alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"]}
1 Like

You made my day, actually I didn’t understand that part of configuration. What about "supportedRange=“0:100:10"” what’s the meaning 0:100:10?

supportedRange="<minValue:maxValue:precision>"

In other words, the minimum and maximum values that your item support mostly derived from the item type and the precision to use as default increment value when requesting increase/decrease commands. This isn’t used much in this case since you defined that value via the action mappings for lower/raise commands but the example just keep the consistency.

1 Like

Hi,

I have open, close, raise, and lower working with my blinds but how do I do a ‘Stop’ command?

1 Like

Unfortunately, Amazon didn’t include the “Stop” action semantic extension as of yet. I assume you are trying to stop your blinds once they are going from closed to open state or vice-versa.

So, my recommendation here would be to use a proxy switch modeled as an PowerController that would trigger the proper command on the OH side, via rules, to stop your blinds at the current level. Since, “Stop” isn’t supported by that controller as well, you would need to use the routine workaround. And all this depends on the binding you are using providing that capability.