Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

I already have Alexa Routines working using a proxy switch and openHAB rules for Open, Close and Stop. This works buts is a lot of code for 18 blinds.

With the new v3 style Alexa tags I was trying?hoping to get it to work without this work around. It did work sometimes but not reliably. I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong with the v3 tags.

The example I posted is an occasion where it worked without routines and used RangeController.rangeValue with the presets option.

I see. I have been working on adding the support. You won’t have to wait for much longer :smile:

As a sneak peek, here is how a standard window blind would be configured once that support will be added. This would resolve your invert issue. Value in parenthesis will be considered as incremental adjustments.

Rollershutter WindowBlind "Window Blind" {alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [supportedRange="0:100:10", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", actionMappings="Close=0,Open=100,Lower=(-10),Raise=(+10)", stateMappings="Closed=0,Open=1:100"]}
3 Likes

That sounds great.

I am trying to understand how it works and have a few questions if that’s OK…helps me later explore the possibilities for my item definitions. A dummies guide would be useful :slight_smile:

What is the difference between Alexa.Setting.Opening and Alexa.Value.Open ? I don’t see the equivalent Closing for Alexa.Setting.Opening.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device-apis/resources-and-assets.html#global-alexa-catalog

hello, great news!
Do you know if is available for Italian speak language?

If I understand it correctly … when predefined friendly names are used in the definition then they are automatically translated into the supported languages

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device-apis/resources-and-assets.html#global-alexa-catalog

You can use the global Alexa catalog for pre-defined names of devices, settings, values, and units. This catalog is localized into all the languages that Alexa supports.

Supported locals for the range controller

More details here:

I’ve update my items file but now I see like that:image

and no “interactive” image like switchable or dimmer or blinds…

The difference between the two is just the friendly names they are representing. The former would be used to name a component/capability while the latter a specific mode or range preset.

So setting friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening" allows a user to control the window blind opening using this command, for example: Alexa, set the window blind opening to 50%.

Also, as a side note, for reference purpose, you should use the skill documentation opposed to the Alexa Skill API documentation. Some of the latest features in the API aren’t available in the skill as of yet. I have seen a couple users jumping to conclusion by just looking at the API documentation.

Asset Catalog
Regional Availability

1 Like

I am not sure yet if it will be available. Once the feature is implemented, we will have to run some tests to confirm.

Thanks. Is the mode.controller also planned for the skill?

Not sure to understand your question. Are you asking if the semantic extensions support will cover the mode controller? If so, yes it will cover mode, range and toggle controllers.

1 Like

I’ve just tried to say “alexa chiudi la tapparella del soggiorno” or “alexa close the living room blind” but alexa said the this function is not available

nobody has news?
nobody use new semantic extensions and can show me his alexa app?

Daniele, I think this feature is not implemented yet.

Jeshab’s example is a spoiler of a next implementation

1 Like

Hello, now my alexa understand close and open roller shutters but the behavior is inverted.
I have not modify my items’s configuration with new semantic: I will wait for new implementations.

1 Like

So do You suggest me to upgrade to 2.5? Oooook
IS it easy?
I’m working on a synology Nas…

These latest enhancements work from OH 2.3 which introduces metadata configuration.

I don’t understand you: You write me that new enhancements are on oh 2.5 and now you write me that is introduced from 2.3…

I meant along side the OH 2.5 release announcement.

Hello!

I have a question regarding Alexa Smart Home Skill. Namely, does it support querying state of the device? I’ve upgraded OH to #1778, changed my items, so they use metadata instead of tags (to comply with v3.0 skill), removed device from Alexa app and recreated it, but when I ask for the state of my device (light for example) Echo replies that “That’s not supported yet”. Am I doing something wrong, or querying state of the device is not supported with this version of the skill?

Best regards,
Davor