Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

It seems that things started working after a STOP and START of openhab

A simple Restart was not sufficient

Tom

Hi all,
unfortunately I’m suffering from the unreliable alexa service as well. Most of the time, alexa tells me that my device is not reachable. Meanwhile we were used to switch most of the devices by vioce.
As far as I understood this postings, it’s a matter of myopenhab-cloud.
What is your recommendation now? Is it going to get better again (because there are some improvements in development) and I just need to wait or do I need another solution?
Would be really appreciate your opinion. The WAF decreases rapidly :frowning:
Michael

You may already know this, but what I found that half the time when Alexa told me a device was unreachable was because I was in the wrong account.

Unsure if you are in the same situation as I am with separate accounts for family members. Thus make sure you are on your account. And also seems you need to setup each account/phone separately with the skills and devices you want to use (I think)

Hi Paul,
thanks for your hint, but I fear this wont be the reason. I just have one Amazon account and I also can not imagine how my alexas (echo and dot) should switch between accounts, if there would be more than one account.

Isn’t there a problem with the openha-cloud (myopenhab.org)?
Michael

Yes there is. Its overloaded very often.

Been having lots of problems where OH disconnects from the cloud and says its reconnected but the service says offline. I then can’t query alexa for temperatures etc

I need to restart the openhab cloud service and then it reports online again.

In the below log service disconnected and then reconnected again a minute later. However on the myopenhab status page it went offline and stays offline until I restart the service.

Caused by: java.io.IOException: 400
	at io.socket.engineio.client.transports.PollingXHR$Request$1.run(PollingXHR.java:218) ~[?:?]
	... 1 more
2018-01-20 04:56:53.465 [INFO ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Disconnected from the openHAB Cloud service (UUID = removed, base URL = http://localhost:8080)
2018-01-20 04:56:57.760 [ERROR] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Socket.IO error: {}
io.socket.engineio.client.EngineIOException: xhr poll error
	at io.socket.engineio.client.Transport.onError(Transport.java:71) [218:org.openhab.io.openhabcloud:2.2.0]
	at io.socket.engineio.client.transports.PollingXHR.access$100(PollingXHR.java:19) [218:org.openhab.io.openhabcloud:2.2.0]
	at io.socket.engineio.client.transports.PollingXHR$6$1.run(PollingXHR.java:124) [218:org.openhab.io.openhabcloud:2.2.0]
	at io.socket.thread.EventThread$2.run(EventThread.java:80) [218:org.openhab.io.openhabcloud:2.2.0]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
Caused by: java.io.IOException: 400
	at io.socket.engineio.client.transports.PollingXHR$Request$1.run(PollingXHR.java:218) ~[?:?]
	... 1 more
2018-01-20 04:56:57.786 [INFO ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Disconnected from the openHAB Cloud service (UUID =removed, base URL = http://localhost:8080)
2018-01-20 04:57:40.013 [INFO ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Connected to the openHAB Cloud service (UUID = removed, base URL = http://localhost:8080)

Is this due to the cloud service being overloaded? Any workaround for this? Can I create my own cloud service if that is a option?

For the comments regarding the cloud service being overloaded, @digitaldan scaled out the cloud service significantly this weekend so hopefully that’s is no longer an issue :clap:

1 Like

Quick side question: If going the non-cloud route, is it still only possible to use On/Off commands through the Hue Emulation binding or is there more possible meanwhile?

Hi!

I was forced to do a clean install of my openhab instance because i had huge issues i was not able to fix. I configured alexa again and it found all of my devices. Unfortunately my Thermostats are shown but there is now way i can edit the temperature (it was working back in 2.1).

My cfg:

Group  GrCouchthermostat 					"Couchthermostat" 								["Thermostat"]
Number WoZi_Thermostat_Couch_akt_Temp		"Couchthermostat aktuelle Temperatur" 						(GrCouchthermostat) 						["CurrentTemperature"]			
Number WoZi_Thermostat_Couch 				"Thermostat Couch [%.1f °C]"					<heating>	(GrCouchthermostat, GrThermostat)			["TargetTemperature"] 			{channel="zway:zwayDevice:XXXXXX:thermostatSetPoint-ZWayVDev_zway_XXXX"}
String WoZi_Thermostat_Couch_Modus			"Couchthermostat Betriebsmodus"								(GrCouchthermostat) 						["homekit:HeatingCoolingMode"]		

I have 3 Thermostats. the screenshot and the cfg don’t match but you get the idea. it’s identical on all 3

So as of yesterday the Australian Alexa market went live… Big problem now is if your Amazon account shows an Australian address then it forces you to change your address and language. The result of this is ALL smart home devices and skills are forgotten. So when you go to re add them there are only 14 total skills and openhab is not one!

Shouldn’t be any changes language wise as it worked fine before, can it be added to the Australian skills catalogue?

1 Like

I changed my echo location to Australia and the voice to Australia but haven’t gone near my amazon account. All things still there and controllable.

Thanks
Andrew

will openhab2 for alexa be available in Aus anytime soon? All my devices are gone.
Dan, Thanks for this Skill, appreciate your efforts. Please include English (Aus) to this skill

1 Like

The Skill is still not available if the language selected is English Australia, can someone please help to publish the skill to the Australian Market?

1 Like

I use my account for prime and purchasing things so it’s in there somewhere I’m in Australia. Might make a new US account as a workaround

This has been a great integration/skill, thank you, however would love it to be published in ENGLISH (Australian) please. Switching to my native language has broken my skill.

Details here: https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/baecec2a-3bfa-4f8f-94d1-c2c85c1f0669/how-to-update-your-skills-for-australia-and-new-zealand

As far as it is communicated here on github, Dan is working on the Australien English support.

Ok, good to hear.about English (Au) language support is in progress. As it takes up to 5 days for certification so can I take it more than just adding the language to the app profile in this case?

Now I just need to chase ewelink and wemo both of which are currently not available.
It was good to see Harmony became available yesterday and Hue were therefor last week or so.

1 Like

This is a huge thread and I am feeling a little lost here…I would like to know if rollershutter control is now implemented or if I still need to create some rule to control the rollershutters.

Rollershutters as an openHAB item works for Alexa, but you should tag them as Switchable.

1 Like

Great to hear skill is in play for English (Australia). Main reason a bought the Dot was to integrate into OpenHAB2.