Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

I am sure i use the right ones :wink:

Found a way to solve this.
Delete your account in myopenhab.Org and create it new in the Alexa skillinstallation prozess

2 Likes

Hi Kai,

Are you saying that Alexa now picks up your tagged OpenHAB2 items?

If affirmative I will try same…

sry i’m not at this point, i only got it working that the skill login work with myopenhab :wink:

Hi all.
Congrats on getting the official skill approved (finally) and out in the wild!
I am having a problem.
I have installed the skill and linked myopenhab.org
I have tagged an item in habmin (television power, as a Switchable but have also tried “Lighting”).
Alexa.amazon.com has discovered the device.
My local echo only reports “Sorry, I was unable to find a device or group named television in Mark’s account”.
I imagine it’s something little, but can anyone give me a hint?

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Hi Mark,

Could you tell me whether it was a mission to get the device discovered by Alexa, or was it a non-event and discovery went without a hitch post tagging the items?

It was easy. Just can’t get it to work despite it being found…

Edit - realised that it is the ‘label’ not the name that alexa uses… now working well!

Mark,

If you don’t mind, could you briefly describe your "recipe"or the ingredients you had put together to make this work…

As stated, I’m 99% there, but the non-discovery issue is driving me nuts!

e.g. Are you using any MQTT bindings, etc.

Appreciated!

Cheers

@Nofuss Do you have an actual Amazon Echo device, or just a home brew equivalent? Do you have an account if you go to alexa.amazon.com (or .co.uk or .de depending on region)?

Hi Rob,

Some details:
I have a Homebrew Raspbian based equivalent device (Raspberry Pi 3), with an associated Amazon and developer account and registered device (the Raspberry Pi). Then I have the linked “myOpenHAB.org” account through the official OpenHAB skill loaded on my Alexa service on the Amazon account.

Hope this paint a fuller picture.

Regards
D

How are you searching for devices? Asking Alexa to do so or via the web interface at alexa.amazon.{tld}?

Thus far I have attempted searching / discovery of devices via 1) the online web service (alexa.amazon.com), 2) via the IOS based Alexa application and lastly 3) via the actual voice service itself - asking for the discovery of smart home devices.

Turns out its the keyboard on my phone was capitalising the email address first letter, even when told not to. It only does it in Alexa app. Creating the account in Alexa was never working for me, but is now, however I found that using a different default keyboard solved the issue, even without deletion.

Thanks for the update.

Hi all,

My issue had been resolved and Alexa now discovered all my exposed devices.

Turns out the items definition had an icon defined per item and removing this allowed the successful discovery.

Many thanks to all - Enjoy Alexa skill

Cheers

1 Like

found some issues why it wouldn’t work for me at the first try, maybe it’ll help some other.

1. config line work for me as:
    Funktion Name “Text” Icon [“tagging”] {binding}
    Funktion Name “Text” [“tagging”] {binding}
    Funktion Name “Text” [“tagging”]
  2. no in the config lines, only one or more are allowed
  3. you have do write the Funktion with a large letter in the beginning (Group not group)

now all devices are discovered.

Hi all, thanks to everyone who has helped out here. My intention was not to release the skill and run, but our myopenhab.org has been in a very bad state and I have been spending all my time trying to get it healthy again.

The good news is I think we are in a better place. I think many of the login issues and timeouts were due to myopenhab and not the skill or the Alexa service. Hopefully you should notice as of a few hours ago Alexa should seem more responsive to controlling your OH. There is still work to do, but I am more optimistic we can handle the added load now!

8 Likes

@digitaldan Many thanks for all your efforts, you seem to have done an awesome job as can be seen from the availability of myopenHAB over the last few days:

Thanks! :tulip:

4 Likes

I’ve been away since last night. Came home and the lamp switched on waaayyy quicker than it has been. A real noticeable improvement, Thanks for your work @digitaldan

Am I right, that the color type is not working atm?

How do you add your “hue lights” to Alexa via myopenhab?

Sorry Newbie here. I am just skimming the surface of openhab but was able to register on the open cloud and get Alexa to discover my device ( a zwave dimmer switch). However it is listed as OFFLINE. I have read that the ‘Tag’ needs to be [ “Lighting” ], how do you set that? Thanks in advance.