Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

@Lolodomo what I did to get home to control my audio device is setup a switchable item that triggers a rule. I have 2 or 3 stations that I listen to, so I just create a switch for each station, then i can say “ok google, turn on station1” and it will play the audio stream. not perfect but works for me. I think it’s a reasonably good workaround for anything that isn’t switch or dimmable as long as there are only a few combinations(ie stations in this case).

Oh, I really didn’t know that. Having the tags bypasses the fact that the items are not exposed and Google Assistant can see them.
Sorry for misleading, I exposed my items on Myopenhab.org at the same time I tagged them, and didn’t try without exposing them. Guess I will save some time for the next ones :wink:

I’m wondering a out this as well. I’ve assigned the Lighting tag to both the switch and dimmer items. And it works fine, except I can’t handle the assistant now referring to it as 2 lights.

Any chance to have in a future a way to ask the current value of a sensor like the temperature ?

:+1::+1: Was waiting for the official integration to be announced. Was tracking the other thread with local openhab cloud setup for sometime now.

Thanks to all the contributors!! Great work

It works great for me, thank you all for making it possible. (a bit difficult to find settings in the google phone app, but it is google app that is not quite easy to understand)

What I noticed is that when I use Google home mini it takes 1-3 seconds for action to happen, but when I ask assistant on the phone, there is almost no delay, so action happens much faster. Suggesting that it might be something with the google home. I ordered LAN adapter for Google home mini from ebay, hoping it will help with response time (and I always prefer cable connection over wifi whenever it is possible)
Thanks again, happy “assisting?”

For anyone having the connection issues when trying to add Openhab in the Google Home App (‘Something went wrong…’) I finally got Openhab successfully connected by removing all of my tags except one, then I retried adding Openhab in the app and this time it completed the process. Perhaps there were too many tags for the initial connection (I had at least 20 lighting and switchable tags) . Then I added more tags and got google home to ‘sync devices’, this added the newly tagged items as well.

German works perfectly

When I try to add it through Google home I get to sign in, click allow. Before it throws back to the Google home app there is plain text, something like account now linked. But when Google home app tries to link it says “Can’t update settings. Check your connection”

Any ideas? Australian version btw

Thanks @Marzima for all you hard work and persistance with Google. I have been about to get lights working and look forward to additional features you and the team release. Thanks again.

Il you put this other Color Item in the same room (In the Google Home app), then it will react to a color command for the room.

@MARZIMA Thanks you soooo much for your work and pain, it work very well and much more faster than IFTTT integration.

Strange thing, each time I want to add an item, I must unlink my openhab account and setup everything again because the list of managed items never update. Is there another way to do this ?

Best regards

“Hey Google - sync my devices”

1 Like

Great thanks you !

“Synchronise mes appareils” in French :wink:

1 Like

Hey ! it still not working for me … I removed all my tags created a new “empty” item I set this item to be available on myopenhab I removed all the google association in myopenhab and I still have Something went wrong…

this is all I find in the log … :
2018-02-24 13:21:16.150 [INFO ] [com.beowulfe.hap.HomekitRoot ] - Added accessory testlum

I think you need to make sure that the item type is ‘Switch’ with a tag of [“Switchable”] or item type ‘Dimmer’ with a tag of [“Lighting”]

This is my item : Switch testlum “testlum” [“Switchable”]

@MARZIMA thanks for your work so far. I also had the issue that I couldn’t link Google Home with openHAB until I removed my temperature tags.

I understand that the functionality isn’t yet implemented but it seems like a bug that those extra tags prevents the accounts from linking rather than ignoring unsupported tags.

Did you try activating the dummy switch for openhab to recognize it?

Make sure that you also check the item in the PaperUI -> Configuration -> Services -> IO -> Configure -> Items to expose to apps

I tried to switch my item on and off but still nothing

@veetrik in PaperUI -> Configuration -> Services -> IO -> OpenHabCloud -> Configure my item is there … even more than that, I went to ifttt and my item was available so I think this is not the issue