javaVendor: Raspbian
osName: Linux
osVersion: 5.4.83-v7l+
osArchitecture: arm
availableProcessors: 4
freeMemory: 39635984
totalMemory: 165675008

Doing a clean3.0 build rather upgrading my OH 2.5.11 system

In my 2.5 system I had mapdb for persisting states and Influx for storing values for charting. Influx and Grafana on a separate Pi

Trying to use the same approach in OH 3 , added tags to some items and referenced those in the strategy

Strategies  {
everyMinute   : "0 * * * * ?"
every5Minutes : "0 */5 * * * ?" 
everyHour     : "0 0 * * * ?"
everyDay      : "0 0 0 * * ?"
}

Items {
        gTemp*  : strategy = everyMinute
        gEnergy* : strategy = everyMinute
}

The Influx DB seems to contain every Item but with no values. I expected to only seem the tagged Items.

I’ve reviewed all the pertinent threads to no avail.

Any suggestions

Most likely you’ve misnamed your influxdb.persist file.

Thanks Rich

Double checked and the .persist looks right

Turned on DEBUG logging for influx and when I update it I get a bunch of log activity like:

14:37:33.098 [DEBUG] [e.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - Got a query for historic points!
14:37:33.110 [DEBUG] [ernal.influx1.InfluxDB1RepositoryImpl] - query returned no series

Just to confirm how this should work, I tagged some Item with the gTemp tag, so I expect those to get picked up in Influx

My only means of checking is to create a query in Grafana and all of my Items show up there (even the ones I haven’t tagged) but no data shows up in the chart.

I using the same methods I used in my 2.5 system which works fine.

Any hints on how to troubleshoot further?

Just to be clear because a tag has a specific meaning in openHAB. Are you really using tags? If so that’s your problem. Persistence doesn’t care at all about tags. What it does care about is Groups. gTemp* means "save all members of the gTemp Group. So have you created a gTemp Group and added all your temp Items to it as members?

That’s not What I did, I’ll try that.

So what causes it to pick all my Items now?

Each persistence has a default strategy in OH 3. Usually it’s something like “all Items every change with restoreOnStartup”.

But you’ve overridden that default with your .persist file but that doesn’t undo anything that was created prior to that. And if you’ve not defined those two as Groups it may just ignore those lines and if so that means the .persist file doesn’t actually define anything so perhaps it reverts to the default.

But you said it’s not actually saving the Item states so it probably used the default for a time but now isn’t saving anything because it’s missconfigured.

Ok I created the Group and assigned members

I created it by creating equipment group and then setting equipment type to None.

BTW, I’m doing everything from the GUI

Still no success

Still struggling with this issue

the log shows

19:34:00.529 [ERROR] [org.influxdb.impl.BatchProcessor     ] - Batch could not be sent. Data will be lost
org.influxdb.InfluxDBException: engine: error writing WAL entry: write /var/lib/influxdb/wal/openhab_db/autogen/21/_00002.wal: read-only file system

the thing is there is no /var/lib/influx directory

If I change any parameter in the influx persistence I get

19:40:21.788 [DEBUG] [e.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - Config has been modified will deactivate/activate with new config
19:40:21.796 [DEBUG] [e.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - InfluxDB persistence service deactivated
19:40:21.801 [DEBUG] [e.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - InfluxDB persistence service is being activated
19:40:21.808 [DEBUG] [e.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - Loaded configuration {addLabelTag=true, component.name=org.openhab.persistence.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService, url=http://192.168.1.190:8086, service.config.category=persistence, replaceUnderscore=true, service.config.description.uri=persistence:influxdb, user=openhab, service.config.label=InfluxDB Persistence Service, service.pid=[org.openhab.influxdb, org.openhab.influxdb], service.config.factory=false, addCategoryTag=false, component.id=320, addTypeTag=true, password=Tiffany, db=openhab_db}
19:40:21.843 [DEBUG] [ernal.influx1.InfluxDB1RepositoryImpl] - database status is OK, version is 1.8.3
19:40:21.849 [DEBUG] [e.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - InfluxDB persistence service is now activated

So I assume the connection to the DB is valid but no values show up in the DB.

any advice on how to troubleshoot further?

just to close this out

I abandoned using a new influx server for OH3 and created another db on the working server that was also storing OH2 data

everything came good after that…something about that new Influx server that my OH3 system did not like.