OH Hangs on Shutdown

Happy Holidays All -

I’ve been running a 2.3 version of OH on Windows Server for quite some time now.
One issue that I’ve been unable to diagnose is that the system will hang on shutdown 8 out of 10 times.

To elaborate:
If I need to restart OH or the server, I will enter “logout” in the Karaf console and wait for the system to properly shutdown. My previous experience is this should take anywhere from 10-30 seconds to shutdown and then the CLI window would close. Now I can walk away for 5 minutes or so and the command window is still open - the only thing I can do is force close the window by clicking the red-X. Most of the time this works fine - sometimes it locks up something in the JAVA process which can only be cleared by a reboot.

I’d like to know where I can look to try and see what’s causing the hang. The log files show nothing out of the norm is there a better way to monitor the shutdown process?

Many thanks,

Squid

Have you experimented with waiting a really long time to see if these “hangs” eventually actually shut down? (e.g. 10, 20, 30 minutes?)

Have you tried killing the java process instead of rebooting?

I may have waited 10 minutes, but I can’t remember waiting longer.

I do not reboot, I kill the process by closing the KARAF window on my Windows machine. Every once in a while closing the window does not fully kill off the process and I am forced to kill the JAVA process from the Task Manager.

So while testing out an upgrade to 2.4 I shutdown OH and gave it a bunch of time for the KARAF window to close.

About 15 minutes later…I saw this printed in the KARAF window…it’s not in the log file.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Fatal error while executing protocol 'ReceivingNotification': java.lang.
NullPointerException
        at org.jupnp.protocol.ReceivingAsync.run(ReceivingAsync.java:75)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.jupnp.protocol.async.ReceivingNotification.execute(ReceivingNotification.java:122)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.ReceivingAsync.run(ReceivingAsync.java:69)
        ... 3 more
java.lang.RuntimeException: Fatal error while executing protocol 'SendingUnsubscribe': java.lang.Nul
lPointerException
        at org.jupnp.protocol.SendingAsync.run(SendingAsync.java:58)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.sync.SendingUnsubscribe.onUnsubscribe(SendingUnsubscribe.java:72)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.sync.SendingUnsubscribe.executeSync(SendingUnsubscribe.java:64)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.SendingSync.execute(SendingSync.java:53)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.SendingAsync.run(SendingAsync.java:52)
        ... 3 more
java.lang.RuntimeException: Fatal error while executing protocol 'ReceivingNotification': java.lang.
NullPointerException
        at org.jupnp.protocol.ReceivingAsync.run(ReceivingAsync.java:75)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.async.ReceivingNotification.execute(ReceivingNotification.java:122)
        at org.jupnp.protocol.ReceivingAsync.run(ReceivingAsync.java:69)
        ... 3 more

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Squid