OH2.1: Fonts Scrambled

32bit java solves the issue, so that workaround is good enough for me.

I installed the 32bit libs with these commands. You can find the commands in this or a similar ones on the openhab gitter and in some pine64 threads:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install iperf:armhf

Install the 32bit arm oracle java as you normally do :wink:

No need to install an 32 Bit iperf :wink:

So I guess it’s on oracle now to work on this issue, it would still be nice to downgrade XChart to fix this. There was absolutely no point in upgrading that library.

According to these threads this is used to install the 32bit dependencies. I think we can remove it afterwards. But however, it works and that is from the user perspective the important thing. :wink:

Using 32 bit Java version is clearly mentioned in the documentation: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/index.html

Stepping in as I also face the same issues.

32 bit Java version is clearly mentioned in the documentation

Yes, but only to avoid trouble with serial connection. That’s why I avoided 32bit JVM.

… even on 64-bit operating systems. Serial connections won’t work …

Nothing mentioned about image issues.

So you consider this being okay?

Using Java 32 bits is only a workaround to a known issue. Have you font problems with this java version ?

I have not analyzed the source of the problem but any contributor is welcome.

In fact the analysis has already be done earlier in this topic and the problem is apparently rhe XChart library. So the solution is to wait for a library update and then use it in OH.

The analysis was done by me, also an issue in the XChart library was opened by me. It is however unlikely that an updated version will fix the issue as it’s not really in the XChart library itself but it seems to be an issue with java itself. Instead of waiting for a fix and leaving us with a broken implementation, we should downgrade to the version that was used before the issue was created, like in OH 2.0. Then 64 Bit can be used, which is a big advantage. It is easier to maintain the 64 Bit compatibility now, than to change everything later as there are many things not 64 Bit compatible.
The PR with the Upgrade should never have been merged as it is causing an issue and fixing exactly ZERO other issues, you see that something is wrong here?

I am not sure but I think the last upgrade was to make the chart feature identical to what we already have in OH 1.

If the problem is in Java for ARM 64 , why not expecting a fix ? Maybe it is something to report … somewhere.

OH1 was working fine on arm64, so it’s probably not because of that. @Kai wrote, that he doesn’t know why it was upgraded, and also there is absolutely no documentation. We should downgrade, as that would fix the issue that was created.

Where?

In this thread, more specifically in this post: OH2.1: Fonts Scrambled
Or did I misunderstand that? I asked why that version was chosen, and you wrote that you can only tell me what was written in the change log.

Anyways, do you know why it was upgraded and why this version was chosen?

Doesn’t it clearly say so in the issue?

Bring chart servlet up to openHAB 1.8.3 look and functionality, fixes #2829.

Sounds to me as if this was done in openHAB 1.8 already before, so if there had been a regression, it was many years ago already. Downgrading would revert the new features, so that is not a straight forward option. As mentioned before, it should rather be addressed in the upstream project, so that there is an upgrade path for us, not a downgrade.

In the XChart Project the issue is open, even though I think it’s a java issue as it only affects arm64, if the issue would also exist on amd64 it would be a 64 Bit issue, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Using zulu 64 Bit java is fine aswell, so it’s oracle 64 bit on arm64 related. I guess it’s up to oracle to figure out whats going on there, I switched to zulu for now and it works fine.

Also solved here with ZULU JAVA.

@Flole What ZULU version did you install and how did you install it ?

I managed 32bit installation with apt and with some advice from the forum here, but no way to get 64 bit running.

Thanks
Gerry

I downloaded the arm64 binaries from the zulu website, extracted them and did an Update-Alternative to register the java command. After selecting the right alternative and restarting OpenHAB it works.

If you need detailed instructions let me know, I can write them when I’m at the office. There I have all the information on what I did.

If you need detailed instructions let me know, I can write them when I’m at the office.

That would be very kind. I’m currently struggling exactly at that point. My ‘update-alternatives’ does not find my ZULU-64 alternative.

BTW, OH is your office work ? Lucky guy, you :wink: !

Thanks for now
Gerry