OH2 addons old versions are mysteriously installed every time

I have OH2 on Ubuntu with apt set to unstable snapshot releases. I update them manually every month or so.

I noticed that probably for some time now all OH2 bundles are not installed from the updated version by the framework, but some old snapshot is always used instead ( This affects all bundles that come from openhab2-addons kar file and which I am using.

The /usr/share/openhab2/addons/openhab-addons-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.kar is updated correctly. The kar file contains correct bundles with new versions. If I extract them and install manually, the correct version is installed.

However if I install it from the paper UI, the old version is always installed. Where does it come from? It must be cached somewhere. I tried looking for the files but failed to find it. Are there any logs that I can enable to see what is the source of the jar files installed?

I really don’t want to purge my installation and configure everything again. Please help!


What version are you running currently? If it’s older than a few days it might be that the installation is using old cached kar files.

Try stopping the service, deleting the temporary files and then restarting openHAB.

sudo systemctl stop openhab2
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/kar
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/tmp
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/cache
sudo systemctl start openhab2

This should be done for you in the latest snapshot.

1 Like

I am using a version from today.
Thank you very much - these paths I was looking for. I’ll give it a try.

It was a disaster unfortunately. Most of bundles stopped from installing on service start.
First I tried to reinstall the package. This resulted in an inability to log into karaf console.
So I purged and reconfigured everything. Hour spent, but now it works perfectly again.

Thanks for your help. This happens to me quarterly, but I stay on top of the unstable version, so it is understandable.

Glad you’ve got it working again, it’s probably a good time to keep a .zip backup of the working system (openhab-cli backup).

I’ll have a look to see if I can replicate this problem, certainly looks like something that needs fixing if it’s recurring.