at the moment neither OH1 nor OH2/ESH support E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet) directly. Maybe it can be done using OLA, but IMHO a direct integration would be better.
I’m thinking of developing a new binding that supports E.31 directly from OpenHAB. Since there is no OH2 DMX binding (and I couldn’t find out in the various topics whether it is actively developed or not), my question is:
- Is there an active development to integrate the OH1 DMX binding into OH2/ESH?
- If so, what is the current state and is E1.31 already considered?
- If not, do you think there should be a generalized OH2/ESH DMX binding which supports all types of interfaces or should there be seperate bindings for Artnet, E1.31, … ?
- Regarding Thing/Channel: There are several possibilities:
- a Thing is a single fixture, DMX universe and channels are configured there, a channel of that thing could be the color, the brightness, … . This is probably the most difficult version as it involves deep knowledge of the fixture itself
- a Thing is a DMX device (e.g. a dimmer could have several channels), there is no need to know what the function of each channel represents, however this gets complicated if moving head fixtures are involved, as they represent a DMX device of unknown channel structure.
- a Thing is a DMX universe, the channels equal the DMX channels. This is the most general approach and probably easiest to implement.