OH2 Not Starting After Upgrade to Build #688

OH2 fails to start after I upgraded from build #674 to #688. Via journalctl I see that the error is:

start.sh[2542]: Error occurred shutting down framework: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/custom.properties (No such file or directory)

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Had same problems with 387 and 386. Reinstalled system completely with 388 that worked.

So does /var/lib/openhab2/etc/custom.properties really not exist? This would be rather weird…

I’ve confirmed that /var/lib/openhab2/etc/custom.properties is not there.

I just tried:

1. apt remove openhab2-offline
  2. rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2
  3. apt install openhab2-offline

The install started openhab2, which systemd repeatedly attempts to restart for the following reason:

Jan  1 15:00:45 openHABianPi start.sh[7709]: Launching the openHAB runtime...
Jan  1 15:00:46 openHABianPi start.sh[7709]: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/custom.properties (No such file or directory)
Jan  1 15:00:46 openHABianPi start.sh[7709]: Error occurred shutting down framework: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/custom.properties (No such file or directory)
Jan  1 15:00:46 openHABianPi start.sh[7709]: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/custom.properties (No such file or directory)

There seems to have been some errors swallowed by apt when I first upgraded openhab2-offline. apt -V openhab2-offline showed that there were a number of files missing/differing from those installed from the .deb, in particular several in /var/lib/openhab2/etc/, including custom.properties.

With that knowledge in hand, instead of using apt, I used dpkg --purge to uninstall., I tried

dpkg --purge openhab2-offline

(after I had backed up /etc/openhab2). I then reinstalled openhab2-offline using

dpkg --install /var/cache/apt/archives/openhab2-offline_2.0.0~20170101125906_all.deb

I then restored my OH2 configs to /etc/openhab2/

Life is good again!

Thanks for your help, @Kai

Many thx It works :slight_smile: