OH2 - saving SD Card Writes

, ,

thanks, thinking about it the portability when plugged into a windows tablet could be useful

The USB stick from zwave.me is essentially the same as the RaZberry board. Just unlike the Aeon, it has no battery power+inclusion mode button.

PS: on portability: if required, you can power your Pi (w/ RaZberry) from a smartphone battery pack and move around.

1 Like

My migration of persistence to the NAS (mariaDB went well - see also How to transfer MySQL (JDBC) persistence to your NAS)

Unfortunately I did not succeed with the transfer of the logs.
This is what I did:
Created a user on my NAS (openhab)
Created a shared NFS folder – e.g. openhab
Created a folder (mount point): sudo mkdir -p /mnt/nfs/var
I created within openhab on the NAS: log/openhab2
Mounted the share: sudo mount -t nfs -o soft 192.168.178.39:/volume1/openhab/var /mnt/nfs/var/
Checked whether it works with write access: touch /mnt/nfs/var/test
Enabled rpcbind during boot: sudo update-rc.d rpcbind enable
Added to fstab: 192.168.178.39:/volume1/openhab/var /mnt/nfs/var nfs rw 0 0
Moved the logs to the mounted folder: sudo mv /var/log /mnt/nfs/var/
Created a symbolic link: sudo ln -s /mnt/nfs/var/log /var/log

Unfortunately my RPi was not accessible anymore after reboot through ssh.
I know that it might cause problems moving the logs during runtime, but I guess the files will only be messed up!?
Any suggestion?

Hello,
I just discovered here a lot of posts about the problem of wear for SDcards.
I have bought a RPI4 with the plan to use it later with openhab for my home automation .
I am a bit surprised because I have my heating, solar panels and blinds Are managed for 14 year On a winCE platform logging data with
on flash memory every minutes and never experiment such problem.

Ok the system was changed 4 times in 14 years. The last version is using SD cards already for 4 years now… Iis WinCE… managing SD cards differently to avoid wear problem? Or is the hardware of RPi that cause this?

I was planning to replace this system in next year because the company selling it as stopped supporting it.
My plan for now is to use another RPi3 running Codesys for the heating system but the recording of archives would be also on SD , USB stick or SSD connected to the RPI
I prefer codesys to openhabian because I am working in industrial PLC world but openhab will be part of the solution to interconnect existing system like Domintell system, Hue Bulbs, Gardena Water management , Gardena robot mower…

You just revived a 3 yr old thread. And I didn’t get what your question was ?

Thanks for your reply

Sorry for refreshing a old subject.

I read first the long conversation you had with some new user about ZRAM and persistence trouble on RPI4 but I thought that it was not the right place to post this. I came here by searching to understand how the wearing problem occur .

Perhaps a new topic should be created but I am quite new on this forum, so I preferred to to it here.

You are right, I finished my witness without a clear question.

So is the wearing problem of SD card specific to the event driven philosophy of openhab, is it specific to RPi hardware or Rasbian ? Or due to a combination of the three factors?

Feel free to move conversation this to another place if more appropriate .

Neither of these, it applies to any flash hardware when you just write enough.
Full story here.

Thank you, Markus, very much for the link of the complete story that show clearly that some people have trouble very often and some other are lucky to have none.

As I am a total newbie in this Raspi and Linux Word, I will try the solution proposed in your nice post before beginning any serious openhab configuration .

Pierre

Use the openHABian image for RPi. It has ZRAM activated by default.