OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY

No kidding! It was driving me nuts why it would work after I woke it up. I might never have figured out what was going on. Thanks!

So, the solution was simple. Factory reset the device and re-include it into the network. :+1:

I had another weird situation. There was a battery device node that the stick thought existed but didn’t. I tried multiple times without success to do a “Remove failed node” in the Zensys tool. :sweat:

So, then I used the Zensys tool to do a “Replace failed node” with an unused battery device, then excluded that node from the network. That seemed to work. :confused:

Hello,

I have a hard time including my kwikset 910 in the network. I have openhabian built with Z-stick5. I’ve read a lot on this forum but i can’t get it work. I have 3 dimmer and 1 power plug working flawlessly!

I installed this addon: org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT. I added the security key to the z-stick.

Last thing i done is removing the thing (kwikset) from habmin, then deleting .xml file. I removed the lock from the network with the z-stick. Reboot openhabian. I added the lock back with the z-stcik, put it back in the pi. (The zwaveLog.pdf start here) Then i added the thing in habmin, node 11. I saw that it didn’t use security so i rebooted openhabian again with no change.

This image is what i got now.

Do i need to edit the .xml file with the security key or something?

I would love that to work so i could be free of my Vera3!

zwaveLog.pdf (97.6 KB)

FWIW, I’m having exactly the same problem right now.

You can’t do this. The stick needs to be plugged into the computer to do secure inclusion.

Thank you for this!!!

I’ve been messing around all afternoon trying to securely include my Kwikset 910 lock with no success. My network has only 5 nodes, but I was unable to securely include my lock in OH. I did a factory reset on the device - no luck. I removed the lock from the door in order to get it close to the controller – no luck. I tried all settings for inclusion mode – Network Wide, High Power, and Low Power - no luck.

Then I decided to try your method. I followed your steps and it worked flawlessly on the first try!

1 Like

Try this. It worked for me on the first try.

Hey Chris, any idea what would cause these errors when trying to set a color item on a RGB bulb?

2017-12-08 17:41:40.820 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 29: Command received zwave:device:c0ffedad:node29:color_color --> 219,68,0
2017-12-08 17:41:40.821 [DEBUG] [ternal.converter.ZWaveColorConverter] - NODE 29: Unknown color mode null.
2017-12-08 17:41:40.821 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 29: No messages returned from converter

You are officially my hero! I wasn’t aware of that.

So for people in my situation : I deleted the thing, delete node11.xml, restart openhab and remove doorLock from zwave network with z-stick in hand. Then i plugged back the z-stick to the Pi and played with the daugther till bedtime (45ish minutes). Then i did an inclusion with habmin and voilà! The doorlock appeared and was using security.

Thank you so much and thanks Chris for you time with this addon!

1 Like

It means that there is no “colorMode” defined for the channel. This should (if I remember correctly) be defined in the database - what device is this for?

Nope. I guess the nodes simply need heck load of time communicating before they work then…

But if you say that a heal is a good thing to do when the topology has been changed, wouldn’t it be a good idea to have a manual heal option anyway? That users could activate when stuff has been moved around in the house…

Yes, this probably is a good idea. Currently you can do it manually per device, and it is done on startup, but I can add a button to do it at other times. Note that it can cause problems on the network for a while though as it generates a lot of activity…

3 Likes

You would think so, but on at least one occasion I definitely saw a node in Zensys Tools that was not being discovered in OH… it was node 59. I have no idea where it came from or how long it had been there. No xml, nothing in the log, but there it was in Zensys. Ghost nodes usually only show up after an inclusion failure, but sometimes after an exclusion. I’ve also seen nodes in Zensys that would consistently fail removal, but be gone in a few days after trying… and OH zwave logs from nodes that never existed! It’s been really rare, but enough to make me a believer! :ghost:

@chris

The device is:
http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/598

Which may or may not be a new version. Mine seems to support secure inclusion unilke the one in your database.
network_ffbd8746__node_29.xml (10.7 KB)

I really can’t see how that’s possible. If the controller is saying that there’s a device, the binding should report it - can you provide a log of the startup please and I’ll take a look.

I’ll send a log next restart… but I did a replace failed on that node about 2-3 months ago and haven’t seen any oddities since, other than the locks that were reincluded and won’t send alarms (likely association issue)…

If you mean that the device in the database doesn’t have the secure class, I wouldn’t read too much into this - if the person adding it wasn’t using a secure binding, then it may not have been added.

I would suggest to check the manuals to see if the configuration is the same (parameters and groups). If it is, then just use the same database entry - otherwise a new one will be required.

I’m not sure how to verify the color set configuration as it’s not in the manual, it only calls out using any of the myriad of zwave apps to do this. Based on the xml file it appears to need the color switch command class. I’m assuming it’s using that entry from your database since it comes up with 4 channels; but when I link a color item to the color channel it gives me that error. Not sure what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks for your help.

Don’t worry about this - it will be standard. The big question is the configuration parameters and groups.

I guess I’m uncertain what you’re telling me to do. The settings appear to match the zwave specs properly but do not list a few features that seem to be included in the database entry that exists. I’m unsure if you’re saying this is not linked to the database entry from your site as previously I believe that would come up as a unknown device. This comes up known and identified, the brightness dimming works properly as-is. I just can’t set the color without getting that error. What do I need to do?

Considering the manufacturer and type match whats in the database I’m sure that’s what’s linked. It just doesn’t work for the color channel. As I said I link an item:

Color RGBFDoor “RGB Front Door” [ “Lighting” ]

To the color channel and then try to pick a color and get the error:

2017-12-09 12:57:49.296 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 29: Command received zwave:device:c0ffedad:node29:color_color --> 348,64,100
2017-12-09 12:57:49.297 [DEBUG] [ternal.converter.ZWaveColorConverter] - NODE 29: Unknown color mode null.
2017-12-09 12:57:49.297 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 29: No messages returned from converter

It’s nothing to do with the specs. The configuration parameters are device dependant and are normally specified by the manufacturer.

Ok…

In the database, there is an area called Configuration Parameters -:

This information comes from the device manual -:

Question - is it the same for the two devices…

So the manufacturer, device id and device type are all the same? Then I’m not quite sure what the issue is anyway… :confused:

Thats my point, it’s very strange and I have to figure maybe never fully worked when originally added to the database? Something with the color channel is fubar’d. Or I don’t understand what should be linked to control it. Is there a way to email “Honey Yin” who added/updated it?

As for the entries, it’s almost an exact match but the database entry has a few advanced features my manual doesn’t list (for instance parameter 51 and 61). Considering they are the exact same model number and revision I expect it’s the same. I think this is a case of a chinese product being remanufactured or rebadged for other brands.

Also note Color temperature seems to work. Just not Color Control.