OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY

Right… I forgot. Most of my dimmers are VRMX1, which have associations. But I was thinking more about your other devices, which are likely using ALARM or NOTIFICATION command class to report changes.

When you manually use the dimmer, it will send a HAIL. The binding then polls the device to update it’s channels. Check your log to make sure this is happening. The devices also need to have completed initialization after starting up the binding. This should be very quick. You might be able to find out in the log, but I usually just Habmin> Configuration> Things> select device> Tools> Advanced, and check that there is a Reinitialize device option. You won’t see it if the device is still initializing.

this is what I get with contact sensors -
2018-07-19 21:38:17.156 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0
2018-07-19 21:38:17.169 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 13: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0

And HAIL is not happening. All devices finished initializing, contact sensors online but unrecognized.

Restart OH, restart the binding (bundle:restart org.openhab.binding.zwave), or reinitialize the device.

I don’t know what to do about that one. A restart may help.

Did you wake the devices up? They will ALWAYS start unrecognised if they have not been initialised, and the binding needs to contact them, and this requires that they wake up.

Will they ever be recognised when beeing initialised, if they´re too fare away from the controller?

having said the new version was much more robust, I now have a serious problem with openHAB locking up after running for around 24 hours. I’ve made several other changes, so it could be completely unrelated to the zwave binding.

I’ve put this in a separate thread: openHAB freezing after 24 hours

Dan

No - if the controller can not communicate with the device, then it can not complete initialisation.

I was mainly thinking of the same crusial (short) range, when an device is beeing included the first time, where it has to be close to the controller.

I don’t really understand your point. Basically, if the controller can communicate with the device, then it will initialise it, and if it can’t, then it won’t work. There is no real difference with “the first time” and any other time other than more data is downloaded during the first initialisation, but the result is still the same.

Yes I did wake them up. It took 4-5 hours for all nodes to initialize. DWZWAVE2 Z-Wave Door/Window Sensors (node 8, 13 f.e) are online and working, but don’t have description in paper ui like other nodes. My biggest problem again DZMX1 dimmers. They don’t report status, when manually operated. Is there anything we can do about this ?

See the discussion starting here.

Understood.

@chris I found that my new dimmer DZ6HD (z-wave plus) reports status immediately. But previous models DZMX1 (z-wave) don’t report ON/OFF state. Only if I manually dim them (not on/off) then I see updates. If I go back to 2.3 stable release of binding then everything works ok. Any ideas ?

Not without seeing a log. The database should be the same between the two versions…

Ok, I’ll try to get logs later today. Probably part of the same problem why this dimmers don’t initialize with latest build.

I don’t think so. One issue is related to ESH not providing correct configuration, the other is handling of reports from the device.

Anyway, without logs there’s nothing I can do, so I’ll have a look once you send them.

Just for reference, I’m seeing updates with just ON/OFF presses for the DZMX1. At first I thought something was wrong, but then realized HAIL must have been removed from the logging.

@chris, did you figure out what is wrong with the current version of the binding and the DZMX1 and DZS15?

Is this the issue with the initialisation? If so, then no, I don’t know. I don’t see why it’s only these devices, and I can’t currently see why ESH isn’t providing the information. I can’t find any problem in the binding - it provides the information for all devices other than the controller.

I need to spend some more time on it, but at the moment I don’t have the time so it might be next week unfortunately.

Hm, ok. I’ll try to remove dimmer from controller and add it back. If it works for you it should work for me to, I guess.

OK. There were a blizzard of posts about it. In case some got past you… 2.4.0.201807152304 works, but anything since has the initialization problem. If it’s an ESH issue, then it was driven by some change in the binding since that build.