OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY

You can also delete the device and let it rediscover, that will recognize the device correctly too

Yes, or restart Openhab, that also does the trick. My point is it sounds like a bug in the discovery process of Zwave things. It does not happen on other types of bindings (like Netatmo)

Yes - thereā€™s a bug somewhere - Iā€™m aware of the issue, but Iā€™m not sure where it is (obviously, or Iā€™d fix it now ;)). Z-Wave does a 2 stage update of he inbox - firstly when it knows the node id, and then again once it knows the device information.

This is needed for battery devicesā€¦ For mains devices, this second stage can happen quickly so we could not add the device until we know the device info. However for battery devices, this can take a long time (hours!) and if we donā€™t add the initial entry, then users donā€™t know that the device was included at all.

The problem is with the updating of the inbox entry after the device information is received - the bug might be in ZWave, or it might be in the framework - Iā€™ve just not had a chance to look yet.

ā€¦or just restart the zwave binding. Seems to be the least painful workaround :slight_smile:

/Daniel

@Chris, it seems that my problem of some XML files not being created is gone. But i have 2 types of XML-files in the folder now. Which one of the 2 can be deleted, or can i delete them all?
br,
Raymond

Yes - for now, but I agree this needs to be resolved.

Delete the ones ā€œNode X.xmlā€ - not the longer name with the network id - those are the ones used in the new binding.

I had a very strange thing occuring recently. I included my IdLock door lock and it worked just fine yesterday (secure inclusion). However today I checked in Habmin and now it is no longer included as a secure device, and also no longer controllable. Can a device renegotiate like that?

Well, it canā€™t ā€˜renegotiateā€™ but if thereā€™s a problem with keys or something else, then of course it wonā€™t be able to communicate securely.

I would double check that the key you selected is still the same as when you included it.

I have a problem that has haunted me for a while. I am unsure if this is related to the ZWAVE binding or if it is the controller. However, I have seen the same behaviour across both the UZB and the Razberry Zwave controllers.

And this is the issue. Some times a device will not leave the network cleanly. In those instances I need to reset the device, and then try to clean up the entries left on the memory of the controller.

In Habmin I use the Advanced meny option on the no longer existing device and click the remove device from controller some times this works, but most of the times I notice an error ā€œDevice not foundā€. If I do a Zwave discovery again the device reappears, but as the device no longer has any association with my network it does of course not work. Again trying to remove it does not work.

Is there any way to properly remove the device from the Controller?

Firstly, Iā€™m not sure this has anything to do with this thread?

Normally, you should exclude the device - not reset it. If you exclude it (using the controller command in the advanced settings) then it should remove cleanly.

This means that the device is already excluded from the network and you just need to delete the thing.

Unfortunately I see that ESH is going to stop bindings removing things. This will mean that for ZWave you will need to first exclude the device, and then delete the thing. It sounds like this is what youā€™re doing anyway however at the moment if the exclusion works, then the binding should automatically remove the thing.

Thank you for the reply Chris. The reason I brought it up was if it was somehow related to transactions of the operation toward the controller (removal of entry in controller).

I see that you must be spending a substantiate amount of your time on the ZWave binding, thank you for that. I am really looking forward to the final version, are there any clues as to when it would be ready together with the snapshot distro?

Binding updated with latest database updates.

:+1:
If my understanding of the alarm-class is correct - Would it work adding the alarm_number channel to a device using the last version to get the raw alarm-report for my door lock for further processing? ( Till now Iā€™ve only seen the alarm_general, alarm_burglar and alarm_access channels, and no way to get the alarm message itselfā€¦)

Thatā€™s the theory - yes. Itā€™s intended for exactly this purpose so please feel free to try it - Iā€™ve not tested it other than with unit tests.

Sounds good! I assume I have to update the device database first, or will it work with the old definition?

You will need to add the alarm_number channel - without that it wont work.

Iā€™ll do another update of the database tomorrow as I found a problem tonight exporting definitions for this branchā€¦

OK, Iā€™ll add the channel right away so it is ready for the next update. Thanks!

I updated the device at http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/384

It gives an error because of unsupported channel type (alarm_number), will it still make it through?
I did not enter any ā€œtypeā€ (as for burglar or access control), I assume this is not needed?

Donā€™t worry - Iā€™ll fix this before I release it.

Thanks.

1 Like

I have this too with my Aeotec gen5 zwave stick - only with battery powered devices. The only solution is to reset the device and then manually delete it using the utility Aeotec provide.