OH3.1 Generac MobileLink Binding

OH 3.1, Pi 3B, Rhaspbian 10 (Buster)

I have a spiffy Generac Generator which I can monitor stats via mobile… I saw that there was an openhab binding for #generac-mobilelink-binding and got all excited… unfortunately after installing the binding and configuring the whopping 3 settings ( mobilelink username, password and refresh interval) all I seem to get is Status Offline Communication error.

openhab> log:display|grep generac                                                                                                                                                          
05:10:38.883 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ThingStatusInfoEvent   ] - Thing 'generacmobilelink:account:eb4bf2c09f' updated: OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR)

I’ve truncated it here as I have 1 line every minute in my logs for this… note the logs are all openhab.event.ThingStatusInfoEvent and nothing from the binding itself even though I show

org.openhab.binding.generacmobilelink              │ TRACE

When I execute a log:get…
Is it just terminally broken or where can I find the code for the binding to debug further and maybe, just maybe contribute some error, warn, info, debug and trace logging into the binding if nothing else…

Mrgh, found my own answer… found the code… it hardcoded the site https://api.mobilelinkgen.com which is a non-entity according to DNS…
grumble… now to go chew upon Generac for a new link/api!

Do you know if this was ever resolved? If not, did you open an issue on it?

It could be recoded, but it would be complex as Generac eol’d the api and took the test start/stop capabilities away from the owners because they were seeing ‘excessive cycling’ via the API and web interfaces both

Yeah, they also switched to using Microsoft azure as identity provider and i never got around to reverse engineering the login process (its quite complicated !) . This has been on my radar to fix for sure. I’ll see if i can find some time this weekend to look at it.

@digitaldan
Hi, Did you ever find any time to update this binding?

I also Downloaded and was hoping to use it as well.
Even without the test functionality it would be nice to port Genie status and other items into good ole openhab .

Chiming in as I intend to get a Generac soon and would love to monitor it via Openhab.
So the binding is non-functional as of right now?

I don’t have the need for test functionality, just status monitoring would be fine.

I have not fixed it, its been more difficult then i anticipated, but i have not looked at it lately. I’ll put it on the list of stuff to look at this weekend.

Greatly appreciated.
I suppose there are not that many people who would want to use this binding, but those there are, they most certainly do :wink:

Then you’ll either have to hammer Generac or hack the signals and figure out a way for openHab to talk to it locally. Generac changed the hostname of the cloud login service and shut off the API access… rendering this plugin null and void

I have a new version of the binding working. FYI the API is very different, which is not a bad thing, but it does mean if you are currently using the binding, you will need to remove the generator thing and recreate it (which is done automatically by discovery anyways)

to install:

1. Remove any existing generac generator things (you can leave the account thing)
  2. Uninstall the existing Generac binding if installed
  3. Drop the new jar in your addons folder

If the binding won’t start because of a missing requirement , you may need to install the jsoup dependncy from the openhab CLI like:

bundle:install https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/jsoup/jsoup/1.14.3/jsoup-1.14.3.jar

I can’t remember if thats needed when using the local addon folder

I have updated the README which the new channels.

Github Release JAR
README Page

Let me know how it goes.

2 Likes

Hi
@digitaldan was all excited went out pulled down the jar dropped into add on folder ran the bundle install for jsoup
Now getting a different unresolve.
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.google.gson; version=“[2.9.0,3.0.0)”
Running on Open 3.4.0
Clean build did not have previous version generac binding and just a few simple bindings running.
Any Thoughts or ideas on what else?
Update:
Pulled down a copy of 4.0M1 and it seems to run fine on that version logs in and pulls all the data !
Awesome Thanks @digitaldan

@digitaldan, do you think you can compile a version for OH3.4?
I’m not willing to move to OH4 beta, and I’m getting my generator installed next week…

Thanks!

You can try this one, although i have not run it yet

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m currently not sure if it works.
It is installed and running:

292 │ Active │  80 │ 1.14.3                 │ jsoup Java HTML Parser
293 │ Active │  80 │ 3.4.3.202303182221     │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: GeneracMobileLink Binding

but I can’t see the binding when I try to add a “thing”, it’s not in the list of bindings.

Try the link again to download again, there was a missing binding config file in the build.

this 2nd version works perfect on 3.4.0 and 3.4.2 login fine finds generator retrieves all items.
Awesome again @digitaldan Double thanks !!!

@digitaldan, thanks for the new build.
I now see the binding and can add the bridge thing, but the api doesn’t seem to like it:

Thing 'generacmobilelink:account:ced1bbc17f' changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): API returned status code: 204

Credentials are correct, I’ve verified by logging in with them on a browser.
I don’t have a generator in the account yet, so that may be the reason for this as 204 usually stands for “no content”.

I’ll know more next Friday when the generator is installed.

@Tron
I think you will be fine once you have a Generator in your account
I got this After I saved in setup
2023-03-18 21:04:17.441 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘generacmobilelink:account:7d70******’ changed from UNKNOWN to ONLINE
2023-03-18 21:04:17.465 [INFO ] [openhab.event.InboxAddedEvent ] - Discovery Result with UID ‘generacmobilelink:generator:7d7*****:8*****’ has been added.

and this after I added a item.

2023-03-18 21:05:20.301 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘MobileLink_Generator_32kW_Status_Label’ changed from NULL to Ready to run.

This is on openhab 3.4.0 version with last binding @digitaldan posted.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, i’ll put that check into the final PR for the binding. glad it seems to be working for everyone.

1 Like