OH3.3 runs in Docker container - Mosquitto & Samba also in container?

OH3.3 in Docker on Debian11.5 Desktop

I am just setting up OH3.3 in Docker on Debain11.5 Desktop. Initial setup is done, up and running. Now I do need help for setting up Mosquitto and Samba. I cannot find instructions howto, also official documentation does not contain information I could use here.
I even don`t know and cannot find information what is in that Docker installation and what is missing comparing Openhabian.
Do I need InfluxDB, Grafana, Karaff, … no idea and I am short before cancelling that story…

Maybe first focussing on Mosquitto.
Using Portainer I can find the official docker image “eclipse-mosquitto”

• Is this the right one and should I use Portainer to install or better with command line?
  • What folder should I use for the installation?
    I used these folders for OH3.3 in Docker
        -v /opt/openhab/conf:/openhab/conf \
        -v /opt/openhab/userdata:/openhab/userdata \
        -v /opt/openhab/addons:/openhab/addons \

They are third party tools so if you are not using openHABian, which has some ability to install and configure these, you will not find the documentation (nor a whole lot of support) here.

It’s just openHAB. Nothing else is in the container. That’s kind of the point of containers, to only run a single service. If you want a one stop solution, you are far better off using openHABian. Any other way to install OH means it’s up to you to install and configure all the third party stuff that openHABian supplies.

It’s not required if that’s what you mean. It’s optional. You can use it or not depending on your unique requirements.

That’s up to you. I use Ansible myself. I played with Portainer once awhile back but it didn’t add anything I needed so stopped.

The installation of what? Mosquitto? Then it should have it’s own folder. It’s totally separate software running completely independently from openHAB. It doesn’t even need to be running on the same machine.

The value of openHABian is it hides a lot of these details from you so you don’t have to worry about it. But if you want to go down the Docker path, it’ll now be up to you to “install” and configure everything yourself. All you will get from us is openHAB itself. No Frontail, samba, Mosquitto, InfluxDB, Grafana, NodeRed, zigbee2mqtt, etc. All of those are separate 3rd party programs unaffiliated with the OH project.

A friend helped me to get the setup running smoothly on my RPi3 which you describe (openHAB, Samba, Mosquitto, InfluxDB, Grafana, Duplicati etc on Docker via Portainer).

Let me know if you still have problems, I could share my step-by-step instruction (which I use in case of as-Card failure) incl. yml files.

Sure I am interested in such a step-by-step description and I assume others as well :slight_smile:
Please share your instructions with us.
It should be helpful even when not using this for a Pi3

Please see here: Install openHAB on Raspi in Docker together with Mosquitto, Duplicati, influxDB, Samba etc - Step by step instruction

I didn’t have enough time today to include pictures and screenshots as well, but hopefully my text-based description should get the job done as well.

In case of questions, let me know.

Thanks a lot, need to figure out how to apply only segments of your description e.g. for mosquitto