[OH3.4.3] No more logging after TRACE log-level for shelly binding

Dear all,

I updated from OH 3.3 to 3.4.3 running on Windows 10 a few days ago. I had (better: have) some problems with shelly binding (just for reference: Link). That’s why I set log level to TRACE for shelly binding this morning.

Directly after pressing enter in the console, there appeared following errors in the console itself:

openhab> log:set TRACE org.openhab.binding.shelly
openhab> 10:02:49.832 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'WateringSued_Power' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
10:02:49.832 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'WateringSued_Power' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
10:02:49.832 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'WateringSued_Power' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Switch
10:02:49.864 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'YeeEsszimmer_Color' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Colorpicker
10:02:49.864 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'YeeEsszimmer_Color' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Colorpicker
10:02:49.864 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'YeeEsszimmer_ColorRemp' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Slider
10:02:49.864 [qtp326017451-21885] ERROR org.openhab.core.ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl - Cannot retrieve item 'YeeEsszimmer_ColorRemp' for widget org.openhab.core.model.sitemap.sitemap.Slider

I just ignored for the moment as only some sitemap widgets were affected.

After 10min or so, I wanted to check the TRACE log entries, but logging completely stoped at the moment were I set log level to TRACE (both, openhab and events.log). I stoped OH and restarted my PC and then even more errors were shown in the console:
error restart.txt (17.1 KB)
This time somehow related to Tellstick, weird.

I tried to change log level again, but following error appeared:

Error executing command: Unrecognized configuration

I tried a few more restarts and also checked

org.ops4j.pax.logging.log4j2.config.file=${karaf.etc}/log4j2.xml

based on this thread. But the file was not empty. I also deleted events.log and restarted, but nothing changed.

Openhab seems to work, at least upto now I did not recognize any malfunction beside the missing logs. But of course I will keep an eye on further issues.

Anyway, any advice how to fix the logging again? I have absolutely no idea to be honest :frowning:

Thanks in advance!

BR
Sascha

I never heard something like that
Try to stop OH and do a clean-cache
you need to reinstall the coap transport afterwards

Thanks for your response @markus7017, but I already tried cleaning cache.

EDIT:
Forget about restoring 3.3 like described in this post before - I thought it is the easiest way to get things back running, but as 3.3 backup does not work also, I will focus on 3.4.3 and the missing logs.

Have you checked log4j2.xml?

Possible syntax error when setting the TRACE log? Maybe install the default version from install package?

Might also check this file org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg in userdata\etc make sure it is not empty(0 bytes) should at least have the line below in it.
org.ops4j.pax.logging.log4j2.config.file=${karaf.etc}/log4j2.xml
I have had this file some how end up as a 0 bytes file before I think it occurred after I forgot to close a log file and restarted openhab on my winders 10 instance.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_VG and @justaoldman for your replies!
I checked org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg in userdata\etc and it was indeed empty. After copying org.ops4j.pax.logging.log4j2.config.file=${karaf.etc}/log4j2.xml everything is working fine again! :slight_smile: