OH3 Aeotec TriSensor ZWA005, no data returning from sensor to OH and binding config issues

Platform information:
RPi 4 8Gb (boot from USB HDD)
Pi OS Lite (32 bit)
Java Runtime Environment: zulu11.43.88-ca-jdk11.0.9-linux_aarch32hf
openHAB version: OH3.0.0. Build #2037
Z Wave Binding Version 3.0.0.SNAPSHOT

The device binds fine.

First issue noted was this:

Wakeup keeps defaulting to ‘0’ and when you try to save it throws an error message, I keep setting it to ‘1’

Second issue:

I’m sure this should be a number input like OH2:
Ive set this parameter to 11 via code.

That aside the sensor is not returning anything back to openHAB.

Thing Code:

UID: zwave:device:325d14555d:node4
label: Motion1
thingTypeUID: zwave:aeotec_zwa005_00_000
configuration:
config_30_2: 0
config_31_2: 0
config_11_1: 2
config_10_1: 1
wakeup_node: 0
config_12_1: 0
config_13_1: 0
config_15_1: 0
config_20_1: 0
config_21_2: 1
wakeup_interval: 0
binding_pollperiod: 15
action_heal: false
config_1_2: 1
config_100_2: 1024
config_7_2: 100
config_2_2: 1
config_3_1: 11
config_22_2: 1
config_4_1: 1
config_23_2: 1
config_5_1: 3
config_24_2: 1
node_id: 4
config_6_1: 0
bridgeUID: zwave:serial_zstick:325d14555

When I stream events I’m getting nothing even though the green LED is showing its detecting movement. Also no temperature or light data is coming back.
Pushing settings to the sensor seems to be working.

As a test I’ve also got a TRV working on Z-Wave, that streams events and works with sitemap without any issues.

I’m just wondering if the binding for the trisensor is not ready for OH3.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Updated the firmware on the ZWA005. managed to connect 2 sensors, however i cannot get a further 2 sensors to work, They bind and when i press the action button i get an update message but nothing on movement, temperature or light.
Ive plugged the stick into a PC and ran Z-Wave PC controller and the sensor is sending back data and the stick is sending the data on to my PC.

So I’m assuming its an issue with OH Z-Wave binding. it seems to be hit and miss.

When I stream events I’m getting nothing even though the green LED is showing its detecting movement. Also no temperature or light data is coming back.

I suggest to set motion sensor report mode to “0.”
And to set association group 1 to “controller”.

My Thing code:

UID: zwave:device:679679bfda:node2
label: “Z-Wave Node 002: ZWA005 Motion, light, and temperature sensor”
configuration:
config_21_2: 25
wakeup_interval: 28800
group_1:
- controller
config_1_2: 30
wakeup_node: 1
config_7_2: 239
config_2_2: 240
config_3_1: 11
config_22_2: 100
config_4_1: 0
config_23_2: 3600
config_24_2: 3600
node_id: 2
bridgeUID: zwave:serial_zstick:679679bfda

The recommendation is to configure the Things in the UI. Text configuration is too error-prone. In fact, since you did not use code fences, the spacing of your example may cayuse issues for users.

How to use code fences - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

1 Like

I found the UI very hit and miss. After about a day of resetting the sensor and re-binding I worked out what seems to be hanging the binding.

First of all, after the bind I go into the UI and scroll down to look at the wakeup interval, if that is zero then i know it wont work, if its something like 27960 then it works.

So if its zero I change to 27960 and ctrl+S, sometimes it comes up with pending, sometimes not. sometimes it still reads zero after refresh or UI restart.

I keep trying to save the value until it gets accepted.

After this I set the lifeline to controller. Again this can be hit and miss, sometimes always pending, sometimes the pending clears and its accepted after a screen refresh, sometimes the lifeline just does not accept controller unless I unselect it out of the list, and reselect a number of times, then ctrl+S.

After this I can then change anything fine. Following this ive gone from 4+ attempts to bind correctly and work, to a successful bind every time.

I’ve never had consecutive node numbers before with these sensors due to having to delete and start again. Now (for the first time ever) I have 7 consecutive sensors:

Code for M1:

UID: zwave:device:c5046293e2:node2
label: M1
configuration:
  group_1:
    - controller
  group_3: []
  group_2: []
  config_21_2: 5
  wakeup_interval: 27960
  config_1_2: 0
  config_3_1: 8
  config_22_2: 10
  config_23_2: 10
  config_24_2: 10
bridgeUID: zwave:serial_zstick:c5046293e2

For most modern devices the binding figures this out automatically. I have never had to set it manually.

I would certainly expect this to be the case. For the configuration to actually be transferred to the device, you must wake the device up. If it was set to 0, this means that the device is not waking up automatically, so you absolutely must do this manually, otherwise it won’t work.

It does sometimes, however I’ve had plenty of instances where it does not show as set in the UI. Admittedly I did not check the code, I just kept saving and waking the device with the button ‘B’

I kept waking with the button ‘B’, sometimes ‘pending’ would duly vanish off the screen to show it was transferred. Sometimes I would ctrl+C and again ‘pending’ would vanish, however sometime ‘pending’ would just not go. All this whilst keeping the sensor awake using the button.

I also looked at power and replaced the battery with a buck set to 3.5v to ensure the sensor was getting enough power. Also the sensor was within 2 feet of the Z-stick.

On the ‘wake interval’ @ zero value, very occasionally the IU would warn that the minimum value is 1800 (if I remember the value correctly) and would not let you save. You try to change to 1800 and as soon as you save it went back to zero!

Hey Volker,
i have ma ZWA005 for quite a year, now (with your configuration) its the first time I see values! I don’t know which one of the parameters wasthe cruical point, but now its just working.
Thanks a LOT!
Text-configuration forever!
Greets
Simon

Hi

I can also confirm that setting the controller as lifeline is necessary.
BUT - since this is a battery device, before it gets properly initialised it needs to be woken up correctly several times. I managed to do this by pressing the action button once briefly, several times over a period of times, after setting the wakeup period and lifeline like described above. It did NOT work waking the device by holding the button for a couple of seconds so the LED turned red or yellow.

Thanks to John Barnes for the thread!

Hello,
I’m configuring these settings to controller, but it’s showing as pending. The sensor is online, but not reporting any values.

All is shown as NULL, and in the logs nothing appears as an event when I move in front of the sensor, no LED comes on on the sensor either

Did you have these similar issues and managed to solve it?
Thanks

Hi,

This looks like it could be the same issue I experienced, I can’t tell from the screen shots posted if the settings have been accepted correctly so can’t 100% say if it is the same issue.
Normal result post bind was ‘pending’ notifications and Null values even after force waking the sensor)
Also my issue was a year ago and I’ve not added any further ZWA005 sensors to my system since.

My fix was:

1. Bind the sensor.

2. Check the ‘Wake Interval’ if this was ‘0’ then it would not work. Change this value to ‘27960’ press ctrl+S.
    Result: sometimes it came up with pending, sometimes not. Sometimes it still read zero after refresh or UI restart. I keep trying to save the value entering it and pressing ctrl+S until it gets accepted.

3. Set the lifeline to ‘controller’
    Result: this can be hit and miss, sometimes always pending, sometimes the pending clears and its accepted after a screen refresh, sometimes the lifeline just does not accept controller unless I unselect it out of the list, and reselect a number of times, then ctrl+S.

During the process keep waking the sensor by using Button ‘B’ on the sensor as per sensor wake instructions.

Using this method is a bit laborious but I managed to include 7 sensors in a row without having to un-bind and re-bind lots of time until it worked.

These have been running for a year with little issue controlling lights and security so its worth the messing. I’ve also permanently powered all my Z-Wave equipment so its been fit and forget.

Hope this helps

John

1 Like

That helps a lot John, thanks. The key is pressing the button so that the settings are properly saved.
I’ve managed to configure as you said, but now only the values for temperature and luminance are reported:

On the UI, the motion sensor has gone from NULL to Alarm though:

I’ve tried to play with the settings below but can’t seem to get the motion alarm to show up in the logs:

In the association groups, there is one for Motion Alarm also, which I was able to set to Controller, but same result.

Any ideas you might have on this?

Thanks, and Happy New Year mate!

No Problem and Happy New Year to you.

The switch its latching ‘on’ you will probably need an expire timer on the switch.

First my setup:
I only have Lifeline associated group set.

Code is probably easier to see.
Just in case you didn’t know, to understand the code and how it links to the UI:
Example 'config_2_2: 240 is the same setting in the UI:

This is for one of my sensors:

UID: zwave:device:c5046293e2:node2
label: M1
configuration:
  group_1:
    - controller
  group_3: []
  group_2: []
  config_21_2: 5
  wakeup_interval: 27960
  config_1_2: 0
  config_22_2: 10
  config_3_1: 8
  config_23_2: 10
  config_24_2: 10
bridgeUID: zwave:serial_zstick:72a2b9cce0

All Channels:

Motion Channel (OK changes to Alarm when triggered then back to OK):

Just check the above but I think its down to the not having an expire timer on the switch.

Old school code for this alarm item:

"M1 Motion"           <motion> (gFF_Landing, Movement) {channel="zwave:device:c5046293e2:node2:alarm_motion", expire="1s,command=OFF"}

New OH3 way (if you don’t use code)

Hope that helps.

JB

1 Like

Great! Got it working with your help! Thanks :smile: