OH3 and Speedtest Ookla

Hello everybody,

I’ve been working with openhab 3.1 on a Synology NAS in Docker for some time. The network connection is unfortunately imprecise and I would like a solution like “Speedtest Ookla”.
I read something about “Speedtest Tracker” on the Internet, but I don’t know of any way to configure Speedtest Ookla in OH3 on a NAS in Docker.
Who can help me here?

Many thanks for the answer. Can you tell me whether this variant is suitable for execution in Docker? How does it have to be configured?

No idea, I am not using Docker, sorry

I have to hope for a user who has the same constellation as me, i.e. in Docker.

I built a Ookla speedtest via the link sihui provided - but if I understand correctly your concern ist not internet connection testing, but internal LAN network reliability? This is not part of openHAB nor Synology NAS, and you’d have to test your network cables and network configuration on top of that.

You’ll have to add speedtest to the Docker container by building a custom image or adding a script to run before openHAB does when the container starts up to install it. See https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab#executing-shell-scripts-before-openhab-is-started

You can set up a file and web server (maybe even FTP) on a machine on your LAN and set up a Network binding speedtest Thing using that internal URL. The network binding can also be configured with a short ping time for online/offline tracking. But in general there are lots of way better tools for monitoring this sort of thing than openHAB.

Sorry, I’m sure I got it wrong. I would like to use “Speedtest Ookla” in OH 3 as an alternative to network binding.

That makes literally no sense! :wink:
Please check the docs, what the network binding does:

Ookla speedtest measures your internet connection speed (Jitter, Ping, Upload Speed, Download Speed, lost packages, …). Two completely differnet things.

I have already added a Docker container “speedtest” (henrywhitaker3 / speedtest-tracker). How do I have to configure openhab 3.1 to take over the values? I need help configuring in OH3.

@sihui posted two pretty thorough tutorials above.

Are these tutorials suitable for use in Docker? How are they integrated? I am not an expert!

Have you read them? Have you tried them out? Have you done any basic reading on what Docker and containers are and how they work? If you are running OH in Docker, you should understand what Docker and containers are and how they work well enough to be able to read a tutorial like the above and know whether you can use it.

You can’t be successful with OH if you don’t have a basic understanding of the technologies you are using.

As for how are they integrated? That’s the whole point of a tutorial. It tells you how to do it.

1 Like

I’ve even bought various books in the past few months. Nevertheless, it can happen that you still need help. I thought there was a place here to ask.

All right, thank you gentlemen for their help.

no need for those bitter words.
If you scroll through this forum there’s only people helping other people out. But those helping need something to work with - and as we all don’t get a single dime for helping we expect at least a bit of own effort. We are not here to built you your solution at will. If you come here with concrete questions we’re all happy to help. We provided you with a bunch of information and still you didn’t seem to read it but eager to have your problem solved by us.

Dear Thomas,

so one can be mistaken. I read my way through this topic here very well (even all night long). Otherwise I would hardly know that the file org.openhab.binding.speedtest-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar is now version 0.5. I was also impressed by the efforts of the users rpwong, muelli1967, Rgroll and bhomeyer. However, Speedtest Ookla still does not work. I think, however, that I won’t ask any more questions in this forum, as I must first prove that I have searched sufficiently. Then I prefer to do without. I am very upset about the last post from Rich Koshak -Foundation member- because it is simply not true!
I’ve only been involved with Openhab for a year. Nevertheless, I can occasionally give help to other users in the German forum and don’t ask whether they have read enough beforehand.
I wish you all the best!

What specifically is not true from my post? First I asked some questions and they were not rhetorical questions. Did you actually look at those tutorials? Do you understand how Docker container work?

And yes it is absolutely true that you have to have at least a basic understanding of the technologies you are working with in order to be successful with openHAB. If you are going to use a less common configuration such as running openHAB on Docker it’s even more important to have that understanding.

Nowhere have you made any indication that you have even read those tutorials and given them a try. If you had you would have learned that indeed, those tutorials do work with Docker once you have speedtest installed in the container. It’s all done through the Exec binding.

Or, if you did try and it didn’t work for you, you’ve provided zero details about what you have actually tried to do and what the problem might be. From our perspective you want us to just tell you how to do it. But there are already two great and thorough posts sihui provided that do just that so why do we have to take the time to write it up yet again here?

There are two conventions many/most of the helpers on this forum follow:

1. If you don’t tell us we have no choice but to assume you’ve not even tired.

2. If you’ve not even tried, we’re not going to do it for you.

You may have spent hours look at something and trying things out but there is no evidence of that here. From my perspective all I see is a refusal to even go and look at the tutorials until someone here tells you to. And then what happens at the next tutorial? Do we have to tell you that it applies to Docker too? And the next and the next?

1 Like

I already wrote that I don’t have to prove in order to get help from you. It is the way it is and there won’t be a next tutorial for me either. I have been following their contributions for a long time and have great respect for their expertise. But there is another remark that I would never have made if I were you. I do not understand their attitude. Again: there will be no more questions from me because I first have to prove that I have already read it.

So simply saying “I read x and tried y and don’t understand z” is too much of a burden? That shows a huge sense of entitlement and complete lack of respect for the time we donate helping people on this forum. You are basically saying “I don’t have to help those people on the forum answer my question in the least amount of time so they can use the rest of their time helping others. I demand and deserve they answer my question with the least amount of effort on my part because my time is more valuable than theirs.”

And I’m certain you think I’m the rude one here.

I’d have dropped this before and will drop it now, but I want to make this clear to future readers of this thread.

When you do not help us help you be telling us specifically what you have tried and specifically what you don’t understand it’s a waste of both your and our time. We don’t ask this of you to prove your worthiness or something like that. It’s just a common curtesy and a sign that you respect the time people donate in trying to help. The more specific the question the less time usually it takes to answer it. The more details provided the less time it takes to answer it. The more you tell us about what you’ve already tried the less time it takes to answer it. If asked follow up questions, answer them.

1 Like

This answer cannot be beaten in arrogance. I’m going to make my thesis now: You can’t help me because it’s too special. You have already noticed that it is a bit more special. If I don’t give you enough to help, why don’t you hold back?
As for your advice to future readers, I’d like to point out that you might want people to use an alternative to OH so as not to be treated like a rude person here. I do not want to go into every allegation made by them. Just this much: you have disappointed me and maybe I’ll take a look at something else.