OH3: "connection to the timeserver 0.pool.ntp.org cannot be established"

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: rpi 3
    • openHAB version: openhabian-pi-raspios32-v1.6.2b.img.xz
  • Issue of the topic: NTP not working

from the log:

2021-01-22 01:08:07.237 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘ntp:ntp:local’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): The network connection to the timeserver 0.pool.ntp.org cannot be established -> returning current sytem time instead.

The open ntp pool documentation shows this should be ‘pool.ntp.org

In the openhab settings ( http://openhabiandevice.local:8080/ ) I added the “ntp thing”.
I edited the configuration and it shows as ‘online’. I still get ntp failures in the log.
Is the “ntp thing” an ntp server running on the rpi

• or -
    A way to access the ntp settings for the rpi?

If the server is not to your liking, you can easily update it in the ntp thing settings

Thanks for your post. I think you’ve misunderstood the question.
I did that and the errors in the log file persist with no change.

What does an “NTP thing” do?
Create an NTP server on my hardware
or
Let me adjust the settings my hardware uses to connect to an external NTP server?

It does not do much, it just provides a channel with the current date/time.

1 Like

Extract from the NTP binding documentation: The NTP binding is used for displaying the local date and time based update from an NTP server.

So the answer is it is neither a NTP server on your hardware nor is it being used to adjust your system’s date/time but it is being used to display accurate date/time as an item.

1 Like

I looked at the source code for the thing. The documentation there answered my question

NTP Binding

The NTP binding is used for displaying the local date and time based update from an NTP server.

## Supported Things

This binding supports one ThingType: ntp

## Discovery

Discovery is used to place one default item in the inbox as a convenient way to add a Thing for the local time.

## Binding Configuration

The binding has no configuration options, all configuration is done at Thing level.