OH3 f7-block alignment weirdness - two blocks configured same don't line up

Hi All

I have been battling with an alignment issue for a week or two, and following JustinG good advise, tried to go back to the basics…

I took my full widget and removed all the extras and cut it down to just the skeleton for layout and eventually even removed part of that and have ended up with the following:

The two YELLOW block are configured exactly the same other than the left: xxpx line, so theoretically they should line up top to bottom? The left: xxpx is different so that they do not overlap and hide each other.

In case I was missing something I even DIFFED the two components:

So I am really confused why the layout difference in the widget editor?

My YAML:

uid: Block_Layouts1
tags: []
props:
  parameterGroups: []
timestamp: Mar 1, 2023, 10:48:34 AM
component: f7-block
config:
  style:
    border: 1px solid black
    --f7-block-margin-horizontal: 0px
    --f7-block-margin-vertical: 0px
    --f7-block-padding-horizontal: 0px
    --f7-block-padding-verticall: 0px
    border-radius: 20px
    height: 720px
    left: 0px
    top: 20px
    width: 360px
slots:
  default:
    - component: f7-block
      config:
        style:
          display: flex
          height: 160px
          justify-content: center
          left: 0px
          position: absolute
          top: -15px
          width: 360px
      config:
        style:
          background: red
          border-radius: 5px
          height: 90px
          left: 30px
          top: 20px
          width: 300px
      slots:
        default:

config:
              style:
                --f7-block-padding-vertical: 0px
                background: yellow
                height: 45px
                left: 10px
                top: 0px
            config:
              style:
                background: yellow
                height: 45px
                left: 30px
                top: 0px

I am also not sure how to fix? I got the “correct” block in the correct position by copying a different block and adjusting the values etc. to get it in the right place.

When actually displaying the widget in a browser window, the layout is correct - and it looks like I have another one that looks correct in the widget editor but wrong on the browser?

Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated

Mark

You’re running into some css styling in the widget editor that is being applied to the first child of a block element. This is over-riding the changes in the f7 variables because it is applied after the f7 library, but the same css doesn’t exist outside the widget editor.

In this case, there’s no reason to muck with the f7 variables anyway. Just set the margins on your blocks directly:

style:
 margin: 0

and that will also take precedence over the errant css directive in the widget editor.

1 Like

Hi Justin

Just to clarify, so replace the following:

style:

with

style:

That seems have done the trick. Will apply the same to my more complex widget and report back.

Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

Can I ask one more thing… Please can you re share your links for flex box etc? I thought I had saved them, but ow can’t track them down.

Thanks

My primary quick css reference is CSS Reference

And the flexbox intro that I most often recommend is A Complete Guide to Flexbox | CSS-Tricks - CSS-Tricks

1 Like

Hi Justin

Your solution has worked perfectly for most of the blocks etc I used.

The is however one, which seems to still have a problem, and in fact works better with:

than with:

The margin: 0 actually seems to be ignored?

The “offending” nested blocks are defined as:

config:
        style:
          background: var(--paradox-background-keypad)
          flex-direction: column
          flex-wrap: nowrap
          height: 460px
          justify-content: space-evenly
          left: 45px
          top: 130px
          width: 270px
      slots:
        default:
            config:
              style:
                justify-content: space-evenly
            slots:
              default:
                - component: oh-button
                  config:
                    action: command
                    actionCommand: STAY_ARM
                    actionItem: =vars.selectedPartitionP + "_CommunicatorCommand"
                    class:
                      - elevation-2
                      - elevation-hover-5
                      - elevation-pressed-2
                      - elevation-transition
                    large: true
                    raised: true
                    style:
                      background: var(--paradox-keys-color)
                      border-radius: 12px
                      font-size: 9.5px
                      font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight)
                      width: 60px
                    text: STAY
                    textColor: black
                    tooltip: '=!(props.tooltipEnable) ? false : "Arm in STAY Mode"'
                    tooltip-trigger: hover
                  config:
                    actionCommand: FORCE_ARM
                    class:
                      - elevation-2
                      - elevation-hover-5
                      - elevation-pressed-2
                      - elevation-transition
                    style:
                    text: FORCE
                    tooltip: '=!(props.tooltipEnable) ? false : "Arm in FORCE Mode"'
                  config:
                    actionCommand: ARM
                    class:
                      - elevation-2
                      - elevation-hover-5
                      - elevation-pressed-2
                      - elevation-transition
                    style:
                    text: ARM
                    tooltip: '=!(props.tooltipEnable) ? false : "Arm in EXIT Mode"'
                  config:
                    actionCommand: DISARM
                    class:
                      - elevation-2
                      - elevation-hover-5
                      - elevation-pressed-2
                      - elevation-transition
                    style:
                      border-radius: 12px
                    text: DISARM
                    tooltip: '=!(props.tooltipEnable) ? false : "DISARM Partition"'

with a few repeats of the nested block.

The reason for the multiple nested blocks was to get the ```space-evenly`` to work

Can you spot any reason for this? Or would you need the whole widget?

Thanks again.

If it is the case that the margin setting is being ignored, then that can only be because somewhere upstream there is another css directive that is setting the margin to a value that includes the !important keyword. That is the css indicator that says “this value cannot be over-written by other downstream directives”. The simple solution here would be to tell css that your value is also “important” enough to over-write the other value:

margin: 0 !important

However, I suspect that this is not the case (although, as you guess, I cannot say for certain without seeing the entire widget code). More likely you’ve got an additional padding value on the block (padding and margin are not the same). Your series of f7 variable adjustments 0 out the margin and the padding but when you replace that with just a margin of 0 then any padding values will still remain. So you probably also just need to add

padding: 0

as well.

Thanks Justin. Adding padding: 0 makes it better, but still not the same as the f7-bloc... settings

If could could see your way clear to have a look at the complete code I would appreciate it. I have attached.

Paradox_EVO_V2d1.txt (42.2 KB)

The part I am worried about is at line 374

Thanks

I do not see any problem on that particular block. All margin and padding values are 0 whether using the direct properties or the f7 variables and it looks to be true in both the widget editor and the page layout for my system.

If you’re still having trouble, then it might be something specific to your environment or the page you’re viewing it on. You’ll have to use the inspector in your browser and see if you can verify that the margin and padding are correct and if not where the extra values are coming from.

On Chrome, when you inspect the element you can select the Computed tab which will show you 2 things:

1. A brief overview of all the position, margin, and padding values of the element that looks like this:

2. A list of the final values for every property that is not default. If you scroll down that list and expand any one of the properties you will see all the different directives for that element (if there is more than one) and which on is currently operative. You can also click on the the arrow icon that appears when you hover over the property to be taken to the definition of that directive. This is how I track down errant css values.

Thanks Justin

So this is what I get on the displayed popup with just margin: 0, no padding set:

Which I guess means there is some sort of padding being applied?

Below that I see:

But not sure what to make of that?

The element looks like this:

<div class="block" style="margin: 0px; background: var(--paradox-background-keypad); border-radius: 20px; display: flex; flex-flow: column nowrap; height: 460px; justify-content: space-evenly; left: 45px; position: absolute; top: 130px; width: 270px;"><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="STAY_ARM" actionitem="undefined_CommunicatorCommand" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>STAY</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="FORCE_ARM" actionitem="undefined_CommunicatorCommand" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 5px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>FORCE</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="ARM" actionitem="undefined_CommunicatorCommand" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 5px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>ARM</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="DISARM" actionitem="undefined_CommunicatorCommand" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>DISARM</span></a></div><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="Bypass" actionvariablevalue="true" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>BYP</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="partition_secondary_command|0,1" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 5px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>MEM</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="partition_secondary_command|0,1" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 5px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>TBL</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-large button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="partition_secondary_command|0,1" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-size: 9.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>ACC</span></a></div><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="1" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>1</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 35px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  AREAS
</div><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="2" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>2</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="3" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>3</span></a></div><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="4" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>4</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="5" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>5</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 110px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  INSTANT
</div><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="6" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>6</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 195px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  DISPLAY
</div></div><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="7" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>7</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 35px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  EVENT
</div><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="8" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>8</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 120px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  TEST
</div><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="9" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>9</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 200px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  CHIME
</div></div><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-size: 7.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>CLEAR</span></a><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="0" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>0</span></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 125px; position: absolute; top: -15px;">
  PRG
</div><a href="#" class="button button-raised text-color-black elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="variable" actionvariable="pincode" actionvariablevalue="9" style="background: var(--paradox-keys-color); border-radius: 12px; font-size: 7.5px; font-weight: var(--paradox-keys-font-weight); width: 60px;"><span>ENTER</span></a></div><div class="block" style="display: flex; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 0px;"><a href="#" class="button elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="partition_secondary_command|6,1" style="border-radius: 12px; color: white; width: 60px;"><i class="icon f7-icons color-blue" style="font-size: 24px; width: 24px; height: 24px;">shield_fill</i></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 35px; position: absolute; top: 35px;">
  [1] + [3]
</div><a href="#" class="button elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="partition_secondary_command|5,1" style="border-radius: 12px; color: white; width: 60px;"><i class="icon f7-icons color-green" style="font-size: 28px; width: 28px; height: 28px;">exclamationmark_triangle</i></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; left: 115px; position: absolute; top: 35px;">
  [4] + [6]
</div><a href="#" class="button elevation-2 elevation-hover-5 elevation-pressed-2 elevation-transition" action="command" actioncommand="partition_secondary_command|4,1" style="border-radius: 12px; color: white; width: 60px;"><i class="icon f7-icons color-red" style="font-size: 20px; width: 20px; height: 20px;">flame</i></a><div style="color: black; font-size: 10px; position: absolute; right: 30px; top: 35px;">
  [7] + [8]
</div></div></div>

With padding: 0 added:

And with the f7...:

So the computed layouts look the same, but the result is not?

Way above me…

Sorry, I wasn’t sure what difference you were focused on last time and wasn’t worries about the individual button rows. What you have here is all about the cascading part of the Cascading Style Sheets. For all elements with the class block the padding properties are explicitly set to calc(var(--f7-block-padding-[direction]) + var(--f7-safe-area-[side])) by some process of the oh app (as these are f7-block components, most likely the base f7 library). As far as “cascading” is concerned, that means these values won’t change if their parent element changes because they are net set to inherit the parent values, they are set to some concrete, calculated value.

So, when you change the margin and padding of a “block” to 0, that element gets the new values, but any child “block” elements remain unaffected.

On the, other hand, when you modify the margin and padding of a “block” by changing a css variable such as --f7-block-padding-horizontal, that variable value “cascades” to all the children of that element (unless one of them over-writes it with a new value). Any of the child blocks that are still using calc(var(--f7-block-padding-horizontal) + var(--f7-safe-area-left)) for their padding-left style will also change.

The result of your two tests look the same at the level of the top “block” element because they are; both methods 0 out the margin and padding of that element. The overall widget looks different, however, because you are having different impacts on padding styles of the “blocks” that are inside the one you have changed.

I should have been more clear. Sorry.

I added the padding: 0 to all the cascaded blocks and it looks right now.

Still not sure why the first blocks gets the padding… But at least it looks right now and I have hopefully learned something I will remember.

Thanks for the help and the explanation.