OH3: import HabPanel from another (OH2) server instance

How can I export/import my HabPanel configuration from another server instance (which is on OH2).
I copied the file

/var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/habpanel.config

to

/var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/habpanel.config

I also cleaned cache and restarted OH3 on the new server.
But the config does not appear under the panel settings in HabPanel (only local storage is availabe).

Sorry, the HABPanel storage backend had to be changed, and is not compatible.
You can go the panel settings on the OH2 instance, click on “Edit the local panel configuration (experts only)” under “Local storage”. Then copy the code or export it with the button. Go to the same screen on your OH3 instance, and paste or import.
Then on the previous screen, save it under a new name with “Save the current configuration to a new panel configuration”.
Repeat for each configuration you want to migrate.

2 Likes

thx. worked

Yes you can! With the habpanel.config you can restore your oh2 habpanel. You need to get it into correct json format / be aware of the escaped html inside the json. I had to do some regex replacement

• ([^\])\" → \1"
  • \\\" → \"
  • \t →
  • = → =
  • \ →
  • \n →
    And you need to ignore the root json element node ( it just contains your descriptive name). With this json snippet in memory just paste into “local panel configuration” mentioned by @ysc
1 Like

Hi,
I did not read in the upgrade notes (from openHAB2 to openHAB3) that I should have exported a copy of my HABpanel. I didn’t. I can’t find an openHAB2 image to create another copy of openHAB2 so I can carry out this export and I fear it’s going to take far longer to do then I could possibly imagine as each step breaks and needs fixing along the way.

As an alternative way to get back my HABpanel, is your habpanel.config edit as easy as it sounds. Please excuse my ignorance but what did you use to edit the config file?

Thanks

1 Like

Probably better if you opened a new thread instead of reviving an old one.

I didn’t see a notice to that in the upgrade notes myself. What’s worse, the OH3 release annoncement has a link to the list of breaking changes, naturally relevant for upgrading. However, that part of the docu is gone. The link to the breaking changes results in a 404 error.

I took that as a warning and left my productive system untouched and running while trying 3.1 on a spare raspi. Then used exactly the method described above and was surprised how it worked flawlessly.

Not sure if you search for an openhabian image or oh2 but it’s all there, just not at the old places…

That image just installs openhabian and openHAB3 from the image. What I need to do is a manual install of openhabian and then from the menu, install openHAB2.

I was hoping for someone to just say that there was an easy way to get the HABpanel data from, for example, a backup and convert it for use on openHAB3. That’s why I quoted garllkarg’s post which I didn’t understand due to it’s lack of verbosity (at least to me).

1 Like

Hello,

do you have a script that performs such regex replacements?

Thanks

Hello Yannick,
i just noticed this post and I refer to it in another.
How can i save all files and all configuration in 2.5 and import everything into OH3 when I do not use the local space for HABPanel :frowning: ?

Appreciate your support.
Jacek